The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phalanges
Was it good? For some bizarre reason I never got round to see it, despite going to the cinema every week since it's been out. :colondollar:

I loved it.

I think there are a few areas that might be a bit confusing if you go without knowing the story but as a film it's brilliant.
Reply 5521
I enjoyed The Artist, but I really don't see what all the mega fuss was about.
Original post by aja89

I've not seen it but I imagine a lot of fuss stems from the novelty of it being a silent film. If that kind of thing floats people's boat then they'll be pleased to know there were silent films before The Artist.
Original post by aja89

I agree, the hype made it out to be super awesome and while it's very enjoyable, it's certainly not the pinnacle of film making.

However, I do think it will probably win the Best Picture Oscar. It just has that whiff about it.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I've not seen it but I imagine a lot of fuss stems from the novelty of it being a silent film. If that kind of thing floats people's boat then they'll be pleased to know there were silent films before The Artist.

Part of the reason, the other is the way the film actually incorporates elements of films to come after silent films. I won't spoil it for you, but there's a few really good moments, especially if you're a film buff.
Original post by Madjackismad

Part of the reason, the other is the way the film actually incorporates elements of films to come after silent films. I won't spoil it for you, but there's a few really good moments, especially if you're a film buff.

That's one of the reasons Hugo is going to do so well at the Oscars as well I imagine. Films that tell a story about the history of filmmaking are obviously going to resonate more with the industry.
Reply 5526
My main problem with it was that the characters seemed to be a bit too one dimensional, I realise there is only so much you can get across in a silent movie but it just fell a bit flat for me. When you see someone like Charlie Chaplin you know every single thing that is going on in his mind, with The Artist I couldn't help but feel that it was more a case of a talkie that had had it's sound cut off. Though that may have been the point given the main character's storyline.

Though I must say, the last twenty minutes or so were extremely awesome, and the woman who played Peppy Miller is mesmerising.
(edited 12 years ago)
That's one of the reasons Hugo is going to do so well at the Oscars as well I imagine. Films that tell a story about the history of filmmaking are obviously going to resonate more with the industry.

I haven't seen Hugo. Shocking, I know, I've only heard great things about it. Looking forward to Drive coming out at the end of this month, have been wanting to see that for a while.
Reply 5528
Peppy Miller. :flutter:

The female members of the group loved the leading actor. :awesome:

There was something attractive about him actually, especially when he danced. :colondollar:
Any suggestions for tonight apart from dry martinis and loose women? :colonhash:
Wet martini and tight women.

IMDB doesn't have a film by that name :no:
Original post by S-man10

Original post by S-man10
Any suggestions for tonight apart from dry martinis and loose women? :colonhash:

Cube, followed by Hypercube, followed by Cube Zero.
Cube, followed by Hypercube, followed by Cube Zero.

So you would recommend the second and third in the trilogy? I loved the first one but have never got round to seeing the other two.

So you would recommend the second and third in the trilogy? I loved the first one but have never got round to seeing the other two.

They're not particularly unmissable films, but if you enjoyed the first you'll probably get something out of them.
Reply 5534
The last film I watched was Coraline. It was pretty good; the plot was average/OK but the animation/puppetry was amazing.
I found Cube to be a bit...meh. I think I hyped it up too much in my head after reading everyone's thoughts on it, and was expecting something a bit more intense/confusing.
In 2009, thousands of Internet users were asked to remake "Star Wars: A New Hope" into a fan film, 15 seconds at a time. Contributors were allowed to recreate scenes from Star Wars however they wanted. Within just a few months SWU grew into a wild success. The creativity that poured into the project was unimaginable.

SWU has been featured in documentaries, news features and conferences around the world for its unique appeal. In 2010 we won a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Creative Achievement In Interactive Media. Finally, the crowd-sourced project has been stitched together and put online for your streaming pleasure. The "Director's Cut" is a feature-length film that contains hand-picked scenes from the entire StarWarsUncut.com collection

I was really, really enjoying Source Code, and then in the last five minutes it did it's damnedest to make me hate it. :sad:
I was really, really enjoying Source Code, and then in the last five minutes it did it's damnedest to make me hate it. :sad:

Did it end up making you hate it?

yeah, I hate it when they keep adding little bits and pieces towards the end... just couldn't care less. Not even the twists, which I find gimmicky.

Heard a few folks say it's like watching a modernised episode of 'Quantum leap' and I thought they'd be exaggerating, but it actually is very similar to how that show worked.

Quick Reply

Latest