The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edwin Okli
I was just so conscious of how long I had spent redoing the Dijkstra's question (I figured out that I had missed out some working values when my shortest route included G...) and doing the bubble sort question (I was really hoping that it wouldn't come up). When I got to the linear programming question I thought, "I'm going to run out of time", so it didn't help when I had to spend time working out points in the middle of lines. But the critical path analysis question was quite nice this year bearing in mind the last part was a simple Gantt chart. Scheduling diagrams seem to be becoming rare and I was surprised to see no questions on critical activities this year.

I've replied via private message..... :smile:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Man I have D1 AND C4 retake on Monday, fml.

Aww good luck!
I have C3 on monday.... :frown:
Original post by member910132
----------- Need Help on This--------------

This isn't really the place for this sort of thing, but:

I think rather than associating a ratio with your division a simple subtraction statement suffices:

Let lxl-x be the length given to the circle, and thus xx is the length given to the square (note the specific cases correspond to x=l,0x=l,0

Then A=(lx)24π+x216A= \frac{(l-x)^2}{4 \pi}+\frac{x^2}{16}

Now work out dAdx\frac{dA}{dx} and d2Adx2 \frac{d^2A}{dx^2} and find the max in the interval and it should fall out.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4563
Original post by aprilannep
Hey! I applied to Southampton too! Don't need to worry about anything, they took FOREVER to give me a reply.. I'm sure everything will go well :smile: Is it going to be your firm?

Good luck with C3 on Monday! I, myself is gna be taking that exam too. So good luck to both of us :P

WOO! I really wanna go there :/ Just scared to be rejected D; yeah it will be my firm! and Queen Mary will be my insurance :biggrin: depending on if I get an offer or not o_o
Good luck to both of us! and everyone else doing it! I honestly just want to get it over and done with :frown:
Original post by TheMagicMan
This isn't really the place for this sort of thing, but:

I think rather than associating a ratio with your division a simple subtraction statement suffices:

Let lxl-x be the length given to the circle, and thus xx is the length given to the square (note the specific cases correspond to x=l,0x=l,0

Then A=(lx)24π+x216A= \frac{(l-x)^2}{4 \pi}+\frac{x^2}{16}

Now work out dAdx\frac{dA}{dx} and d2Adx2 \frac{d^2A}{dx^2} and find the max in the interval and it should fall out.

Spoiler

You would also have to form another expression for when l-x is given the sqaure and x given to the circle right ?
Reply 4565
You would also have to form another expression for when l-x is given the sqaure and x given to the circle right ?

No,

l-x, and x already 'cover all possibilities' if you like.
Original post by Caassaa
WOO! I really wanna go there :/ Just scared to be rejected D; yeah it will be my firm! and Queen Mary will be my insurance :biggrin: depending on if I get an offer or not o_o
Good luck to both of us! and everyone else doing it! I honestly just want to get it over and done with :frown:

Cool! Finally, someone who wants to do Maths at Soton ^^ I can't decide wether to put it as my firm or not.. Why Southampton btw, if you don't mind me asking? it might help me with making my decision :P

My teacher said the 2010 papers were easy, 2011 were horrid. so hopefully, 2012 papers will be easy? :biggrin: hopefully!
Original post by Thrug
No,

l-x, and x already 'cover all possibilities' if you like.

But how is that surely only one string can go to the circle and the other to the square ?
Reply 4568
Original post by aprilannep
Cool! Finally, someone who wants to do Maths at Soton ^^ I can't decide wether to put it as my firm or not.. Why Southampton btw, if you don't mind me asking? it might help me with making my decision :P

My teacher said the 2010 papers were easy, 2011 were horrid. so hopefully, 2012 papers will be easy? :biggrin: hopefully!

I went to the open day for Soton and I actually really liked the lecture and the day in general and the University is beaautifull~! Better than imperial shockingly... I couldn't even hear what the man was saying in the imperial open day... and he had some awkward acent.. :confused: LOL

Where else did you apply? ;o I actually liked the 2011 papers D: and the 2010 ones o_o I didn't like the Jan 2007 when I first looked at it aha but I'm gonna do it again tonight ^_^
But how is that surely only one string can go to the circle and the other to the square ?

As x ranges between 0 and l, l-x also ranges between l and 0. Both are continuous so all values are represented
Original post by Caassaa
I went to the open day for Soton and I actually really liked the lecture and the day in general and the University is beaautifull~! Better than imperial shockingly... I couldn't even hear what the man was saying in the imperial open day... and he had some awkward acent.. :confused: LOL

Where else did you apply? ;o I actually liked the 2011 papers D: and the 2010 ones o_o I didn't like the Jan 2007 when I first looked at it aha but I'm gonna do it again tonight ^_^

I applied to Southampton, UCL, Manchester, Birmingham and Aston. wbu ?
Good luck to you all :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hiya!
My boyfriend's applied for maths and doesn't use TSR so I thought I'd nosey for him....
has anyone heard from Leeds yet?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by RunLikeAFairy
Hiya!
My boyfriend's applied for maths and doesn't use TSR so I thought I'd nosey for him....
has anyone heard from Leeds yet?
Thank you :smile:

No i havent!! Its the only one i'm waiting for though..... :frown:
(Very kind of you!)
Original post by BeccaCath94
No i havent!! Its the only one i'm waiting for though..... :frown:
(Very kind of you!)

Thank you! He was just concerned that he hadn't heard anything!
My offer came through pretty quickly (but it's for law) but it's very much based on department I guess!
Reply 4575
anyone heard from Imperial G104....? is G104 more competitive than G100?
Original post by RunLikeAFairy
Thank you! He was just concerned that he hadn't heard anything!
My offer came through pretty quickly (but it's for law) but it's very much based on department I guess!

No problemo....i'm getting pretty impatient as i heard from all my other 4 before christmas!! :frown:
Yeah it differs for department as lots of language applicants have offers....
Maths is a popular course i guess...
Original post by hamina93
anyone heard from Imperial G104....? is G104 more competitive than G100?

Yep, I have an offer for G104, the conditions are on a different level though
southampton or lancaster for a insurance? (they want the same grades)
Original post by ccfcadam36
southampton or lancaster for a insurance? (they want the same grades)

Lancaster :smile:

But they're both in completely different areas of the country so it depends.... :tongue:

Latest