The Student Room Group

Messed up GCSE mock exams..........

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You didn't do well because you didn't revise obviously.

How can we help you?

Just revise for them and you should do well.
Reply 41
Messed up in your mock gcse's....I messed up in my AS's!

LIFE GOES ON.

(sorry, still at bitter topic.)
Reply 42
Don't worry too much about the mocks. Just study hard at home and you should do good at your real exams.
Original post by AspiringGenius
I got A* in the real thing in year 8 :colone:

The 1st Unit or the full GCSE?I got 79/80 in the 1st unit with no revision in Y9 and i am so unhappy no more Maths GCSEs are planned.
Reply 44
Original post by sophie5
So in general do people usually drastically improve from the mocks?

Yes if they actually put the effort in. If your assuming you'll magically do better in your real exams if you don't do any work from now until then...then NO.
Original post by Dalek1099
The 1st Unit or the full GCSE?I got 79/80 in the 1st unit with no revision in Y9 and i am so unhappy no more Maths GCSEs are planned.

It was only one unit unfortunately. Maths GCSE is a funny one: some can lie rally get everyone right with no revision as to some, it's a simple maths aptitude test. Others, however, can revise forever and can't push past the A barrier.

For me, it's always been my favourite subject (why didn't I do further maths?) and I did risk GCSE by doing no revision. I don't know about A Levels, but I'm not risking it. Exam on Onday, panic revision tomorrow :colone:

We did unit 3 in year 8, unit 1 and statistics in year 9 and then in year 10 our teacher went I'll and out supply teacher let my friend and I teach. Head of maths found out two weeks before the Unit 5 exam and pulled everyone out -_- so I didn't finish until November 2011 -_-
Original post by AspiringGenius
It was only one unit unfortunately. Maths GCSE is a funny one: some can lie rally get everyone right with no revision as to some, it's a simple maths aptitude test. Others, however, can revise forever and can't push past the A barrier.

For me, it's always been my favourite subject (why didn't I do further maths?) and I did risk GCSE by doing no revision. I don't know about A Levels, but I'm not risking it. Exam on Onday, panic revision tomorrow :colone:

We did unit 3 in year 8, unit 1 and statistics in year 9 and then in year 10 our teacher went I'll and out supply teacher let my friend and I teach. Head of maths found out two weeks before the Unit 5 exam and pulled everyone out -_- so I didn't finish until November 2011 -_-

Unit 3 in Y8?-Surely that would be hard and What is the content like in Maths A-Level:Alegbra,Number or Boring Shape and Angles.

EDIT:You did the old specification so you really did Unit 2 in Y8.
(edited 12 years ago)
Unit 3 in Y8?-Surely that would be hard and What is the content like in Maths A-Level:Alegbra,Number or Boring Shape and Angles.

Hmmm... I suppose it was quite hard in hindsight, for people who had barely learnt trigonometry. But ot was one of the delightful bad state schools which will do anything for league tables. They did enough to get most of us into C grades. :L as I said, Number isn't such a bad module for mathematically minded people.

A Level isn't split into Number, Data Handling and Algebra shape space and measure. There are six modules, four of core, and then two applied and these can be statistics (broadly comparable to data handling), mechanics (physics style maths), decision (dnnt ask, algorithms and stuff, I don't do it but most I know who do say it isn't maths at all!).

Core is like algebra and number and space and stuff, but it all intertwines. Like there are circle questions that asses algebraic ability to solve the equation of the circle. It's much more interesting than Maths GCSE.
Reply 48
I completely failed my mocks, so I just put the work in over the next few months and turned it all around. There's still a few months left so I'm sure if you put the time in you'll be fine
Original post by sophie5

What you learn now will be gone from your head long before summer anyway. Just work hard from now on. Bear in mind some subjects just take time to develop, or you haven't fully covered the syllabus. I got a D in my Music GCSE mock, but its 60% c/w (which we hadn't done yet), so in the end I came out with something much better. Similarly I got a C in German, but the jumps you make with languages are immense.
Got D's in my mocks, finished with A's and B's.... the funny thing is my targets we're A*'s... no revision.

Moral of the story: don't take my advice.
Reply 51
Original post by sophie5
Hey guys,
im new to tsr and am looking for some advice. Basically i kinda messed up my GCSE
mocks (due to lack of revision) and i was just wondering if anyone who has previously been in a similar situation had any tips to offer on how to get back on track :smile:

That's the whole point of them. You realise how stressful it was leaving it until the night before to revise for each exam, then see how you didn't get all the grades you were aiming for, so you work harder for the real ones. They don't matter, so I wouldn't worry about it! Just put in the time and be more prepared for the real ones! They're just supposed to be a learning experience! :smile:
Reply 52
its just a mock take it on the chin and move on ... also revise ...
Reply 53
Lack of revision? sounds like a stupid excuse i didn't do any revision for any of my GCSEs.
Reply 54

I finished my PhD aged 6.
I got B(by 4 UMS) CCD in my mocks and left 6th form with A*AAB. Admit your weaknesses, focus on them and make small tips on improving it. Having a teacher and parent involved to keep you on your toes, checking if you are reaching your goals, is a good idea too.
Original post by lambert1
I finished my PhD aged 6.

Whats PHD?
Reply 57
To me it doesn't matter, but watch out for teachers not entering you for higher tier if you haven't done well enough; it happened to me :frown:
I wouldn't worry too much, although you should have revised.

I got a D in my English Lit mock, ended up getting a high A. I am now predicted an A at A Level.
Reply 59
Original post by VictorDeLost
People who drastically improve from their mocks are the ones who realise that nothing is handed to them. You just have to remember that if you want to get high grades in the actual exams, you have to work for them.

What subjects did you perform badly in???

I basically got:
in RS in spanish and english language and bioloin ICT and maths in chemistry and history
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest