The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Truered
Was it just me or did Another just not seem creepy at all? I watched two episodes and all I can recall are eyepatches and the vague "ooh I mentioned something I shouldn't have without meaning too."

Also tried Inu boku which was entertaining if not amazing.

After the initial hopeful start I dropped everyday lives of high school boys after I quickly fastforwarded and saw it continued to just be characters chatting

The dolls are the only creepy thing so far (especially when they randomly show pictures of them in between scenes :s-smilie:) and the background music, even though it can be really dramatic at times. It still only has been two episodes but I'm liking it so far.
Anyone watching Bodacious Space Pirates? Only 2 eps are out so far but I'm really liking it, the main character seems alittle "slow" to me but I'm sure there'll be good progression.
Original post by Ahotaru
Ow, thank you AngryJellyFish... but I have seen both of them already :colondollar: I'm afraid that I will have to check a list!

Fair enough, they're both fairly well known romance series. :yes: Here's a few others to think about:

ef - a tale of memories

Rec

Hitohira

Kobato

Kare Kano
Reply 2683
Original post by DudeJericho
Anyone watching Bodacious Space Pirates? Only 2 eps are out so far but I'm really liking it, the main character seems alittle "slow" to me but I'm sure there'll be good progression.

I'm watching it, and yeah, enjoying it so far. Driving out into the desert to fire off beam rifles at derelict war machines together is certainly the best kind of mother-daughter bonding.
Original post by QHF
I'm watching it, and yeah, enjoying it so far. Driving out into the desert to fire off beam rifles at derelict war machines together is certainly the best kind of mother-daughter bonding.

Lol! It was like the main character changed from this ordinaryish high school life to firing these giant ass guns and yet she didn't seem that phazed by the experience.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Fair enough, they're both fairly well known romance series. :yes: Here's a few others to think about:

ef - a tale of memories

Rec

Hitohira

Kobato

Kare Kano

I started watching 'Ef -a tale of memoires' and seems pretty good. I've already seen Kare Kano, and Rec looks quite interesting and funny... I'll go with that one soon. Thank you!! :wink:
finished Seitokai no Ichizon the other day, was pretty enjoyable, had some fun characters, looking forward to the next season :smile: cutest student council prez ever :h:

RIP megaupload :sad: used to use it all the time before i started using torrents, still use it now and again, by far the best upload site, sad to see it gone :sad:

Original post by Truered
Believe it!

yeah baby yeah :perv:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Cornerstone

Original post by The Cornerstone
The dolls are the only creepy thing so far (especially when they randomly show pictures of them in between scenes :s-smilie:) and the background music, even though it can be really dramatic at times. It still only has been two episodes but I'm liking it so far.

I don't think people are really understanding the point of the dolls so far, they're chief reason for being there isn't to scare. You have to keep in mind Another is based on a novel, you wouldn't have random flashes of dolls in a novel. There is quite a bit of symbolism and literary plot devices - for the most part I think it will be an amazing anime but also really polarized in views between those who can be bothered to work out the subtleties and those that don't want to watch a novel and analyse it :nah:
Reply 2688
Some of the animation in this week's Symphogear was highly amusing, for the wrong reasons. Hibiki's rip-and-tear face returned, though, which was entertaining for the right reasons.

Original post by Facticity
an amazing anime but also really polarized in views between those who can be bothered to work out the subtleties and those that don't want to watch a novel and analyse it

I'm not watching Another, but I do worry a bit about this sort of thing: it seems sort of wrong-headed to me for animation to try to provoke the same kind of thinking response that some kinds of novel aim for. Books are going to be better at it (at least, that's my instinctive take...), so isn't it unwise to try to compete on the same turf?

This isn't really a quality thing -- Another might be great -- and I have similar qualms about, for example, the detail in Legend of Galactic Heroes, which might be analogous to Another's subtleties: I love LoGH, but a lot of the time it's not a particularly impressive piece of animation, and I can't help feeling there's something wasteful about aiming for that novelistic level of detail and complexity in something that's not a book.

Anyway, that's just an odd thought. I apologise for foisting it on the thread.

Original post by QHF

I'm not watching Another, but I do worry a bit about this sort of thing: it seems sort of wrong-headed to me for animation to try to provoke the same kind of thinking response that some kinds of novel aim for. Books are going to be better at it (at least, that's my instinctive take...), so isn't it unwise to try to compete on the same turf?

This isn't really a quality thing -- Another might be great -- and I have similar qualms about, for example, the detail in Legend of Galactic Heroes, which might be analogous to Another's subtleties: I love LoGH, but a lot of the time it's not a particularly impressive piece of animation, and I can't help feeling there's something wasteful about aiming for that novelistic level of detail and complexity in something that's not a book.

Anyway, that's just an odd thought. I apologise for foisting it on the thread.

Why are books better at it? I wouldn't say that is necessarily so. I've watched things like Spice and Wolf, Haibane Renmei, SEL, GITS which have really deep themes running through them and I could probably write a literary analysis on them just as long if not much more so, than I could on Camus' The Stranger. Novels and novella do no better a job at giving a profound message that any other medium of entertainment, its simply what one prefers or rather, how one digests things that is crucial. Lots of anime have philosophical and pyschological undertones which many people could write extremely detailed essays on - its irregardless of whether it is a book or not.

Whilst I would admit that the novel for Another is probably better than the anime will be, that is only because the novel would obviously have an indefinite amount of time and space to devote to plot and character building whereas an anime is limited to 30 minute, 12-26 episode series. Despite this though, the central message should still be able to come through and I've found myself already picking up on a multitude of literary devices in the show. If you notice them, I guess it makes it great but if you don't, it may be drab. But surely, that is exactly the same as in a novel? Just because you read a novel doesn't mean you understand its meaning, sub plot, message or language devices. I don't see much difference between the two mediums - in the end you'll either get it or you won't. Whilst the novel may be more detailed, there may be other qualities in the anime that make it enjoyable in ways the novel cannot.

So I guess to make a long story short, I disagree :tongue:
If you have never watched Planetes go and watch it now. peace
Aiko

I guess we don't have to worry about a love triangle in Area no Kishi anymore :frown: Though, I was pretty shocked :lolwut: Though, the show is definitely getting more interesting :beard:
Reply 2692
I guess we don't have to worry about a love triangle in Area no Kishi anymore :frown: Though, I was pretty shocked :lolwut: Though, the show is definitely getting more interesting :beard:

Aha, indeed, I was thinking that when I watched the episode yesterday. I have to say, though, it's drawing serious parallels with Adachi's Touch after this revelation, it's almost uncanny.

Original post by Aiko
Aha, indeed, I was thinking that when I watched the episode yesterday. I have to say, though, it's drawing serious parallels with Adachi's Touch after this revelation, it's almost uncanny.

I've never read Adachi's Touch so I can't say. One thing I did think though is that it was a bit clichéd that he will suddenly become like Suguru. They even had the whole Katekyoushi serious mode eyes. One thing I can't get over in this show though is how serious they are taking football. Like when Kaoru says he can't move, killing intent etc. I just can't help but giggle, its just football :giggle:
Reply 2694
I've never read Adachi's Touch so I can't say. One thing I did think though is that it was a bit clichéd that he will suddenly become like Suguru. They even had the whole Katekyoushi serious mode eyes. One thing I can't get over in this show though is how serious they are taking football. Like when Kaoru says he can't move, killing intent etc. I just can't help but giggle, its just football :giggle:

Yeah, the characterisation and the subsequent revelation I'm alluding to in Touch was handled with far greater depth, but in terms of the premise and character dynamic, there are clear similarities. It's obvious that the manga artist was inspired.

Spoiler

I agree that the serious eye mode was completely unnecessary. It's something they always feel compelled to include to spell out to the reader/viewer how the protagonist is feeling at that moment, but its blatancy comes across as nothing short of contrived. As for taking the sport seriously, it's a stable of the genre. In most sport shounen, it's their life and passion. All competitive sport is depicted in an almost 'battle manga' style where techniques unknown to reality surface. It wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing auras. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2695
Princess Shirahoshi is incredibly moe, which is hardly surprising given that Yukana is her seiyuu. As expected, Luffy's interaction with her was amusing. :giggle:
Episode 23 of The Mysterious Cities of Gold brought me up to 6 months of anime - a month later than planned, but still awesome. :proud:

Less than an hour later, episode 3 of Senki Zesshou Symphogear became my 11,000th episode watched. :proud:
Original post by Aiko
Yeah, the characterisation and the subsequent revelation I'm alluding to in Touch was handled with far greater depth, but in terms of the premise and character dynamic, there are clear similarities. It's obvious that the manga artist was inspired.

Spoiler

I agree that the serious eye mode was completely unnecessary. It's something they always feel compelled to include to spell out to the reader/viewer how the protagonist is feeling at that moment, but its blatancy comes across as nothing short of contrived. As for taking the sport seriously, it's a stable of the genre. In most sport shounen, it's their life and passion. All competitive sport is depicted in an almost 'battle manga' style where techniques unknown to reality surface. It wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing auras. :tongue:

Spoiler

I guess you're right. One of the very niche things about anime are the abundant amount of tropes which can be used to pretty much express an incredibly huge amount of emotions and attitudes without the need for words at all - serious eyes being one of them. I could handle killing auras I guess - I just hope no one goes super saiyan :giggle:

All that said, I would be lying if I said I wasn't actually getting into Area no Kishi. I'm definitely sticking with it, if not, looking forward to it.
Seems I was too quick to dismiss this season as not a good one as I find myself enjoying watching Symphogear and Space pirates (forgot it's name).:s-smilie:

And 'Another' is finally starting to get real.

I was under the impression sports anime are supposed to be 'realistic'

That's the one thing sports anime isn't from what I've seen. It's not surprising to see characters doing bicycle kicks 50 feet in the air, running at lightning speed or seeing football shots that might as well be ballistic missiles. I haven't watched Area no Kishi but if it has a lot of these usual things then I have made a good choice not watching it.:tongue:
Reply 2699

Spoiler

I guess you're right. One of the very niche things about anime are the abundant amount of tropes which can be used to pretty much express an incredibly huge amount of emotions and attitudes without the need for words at all - serious eyes being one of them. I could handle killing auras I guess - I just hope no one goes super saiyan :giggle:

All that said, I would be lying if I said I wasn't actually getting into Area no Kishi. I'm definitely sticking with it, if not, looking forward to it.

As Cornerstone has said, sport shounen is typically exaggerated with the aim to make it more entertaining to watch and inline with the shounen market (this is applicable for any type of competitive activity such as boardgames, not just sport). However, this is not to suggest that it's not realistic at all, such exaggerations are merely for animation/aesthetic purposes, the sport itself will still be covered in a believable way (for instance, in Major, Goro's pitches are akin to a rocket launcher, but everything else such as his career are covered in an accurate way (coming from someone who actively follows 'real life' baseball).

In this regard, Area no Kishi isn't representative of the sport genre as a whole. Still, none of the aforementioned, however unbelievable, has tainted my enjoyment of the series overall. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending