The Student Room Group

Supermarket job for 16 year olds

How easy/hard is it for me to get a summer job after my GCSEs in a local supermarket. Do I still need to hand in a CV and all that? I will only have my GCSE grades to go by.
Reply 1
In this climate, probably quite difficult. And yes you have to apply for a job just like any adult.
Reply 2
Original post by tom the student
How easy/hard is it for me to get a summer job after my GCSEs in a local supermarket. Do I still need to hand in a CV and all that? I will only have my GCSE grades to go by.

Should be fine once you've finished full time compulsory education. Supermarkets like sainsburys you can apply online. You can hand in a cv with your personal statement too, but i've always applied online :smile: Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ColourDog
Should be fine once you've finished full time education. Supermarkets like sainsburys you can apply online. You can hand in a cv with your personal statement too, but i've always applied online :smile: Good luck!

I will still be carrying on with sixth form... just something to earn myself some pocket money in my summer break.
Reply 4
I will still be carrying on with sixth form... just something to earn myself some pocket money in my summer break.

Yes, that's fine: i meant to say full time compulsory education :smile: I'd try a few places though if you really want a job.

I doubt many employers will hire you for a summer job only. You should be looking to stay at that job for at least 6 months, but many people handle sixth form and a part time job well- so it should be fine! :smile: (if you can get the job that is)
Is it unlikely I'll get a job if I only have GCSEs and no experiance... seems no point even handing it in... :frown:
Supermarkets tend to be easy-going as regards experience, always have. It is shops you definitely have no hope in. What counts against you much more than lack of experience is your age- you require more breaks, and can't work past a certain time (I think 10pm but I'm going by Irish law). However they also get to pay you less than an 18 year old, so that probably balances out. Do NOT mention anywhere that you only want to work for the summer. But there's absolutely no harm in applying, you've nothing to lose.
Reply 8
Is it unlikely I'll get a job if I only have GCSEs and no experiance... seems no point even handing it in... :frown:

I only had GCSEs and no experience and got a job at Sainsbury's...

Most supermarkets won't take CVs and you have to apply online.
You've got nothing to lose by trying. I got a job in a shop at 16 with no GCSE results and only voluntary experience- it just depends on where you try. The shop I work in employs loads of 16 year olds every summer because when people start at 16, they normally stick around for at least two or three years (until they finish school or college, normally) and the pay rate is lower for 16-17 year olds.

On the other hand though, like StarsAreFixed explained, some places tend to prefer employing over 18s because it's just handier (over 18s need less breaks during shifts, can work longer hours, need a shorter break between shifts, can sell alcohol/cigarettes, can work nights), so don't be surprised if you have to apply to many different places before having any luck. I think I applied to 10 at 16 before getting an interview, but that's still much less than some people I know.

Don't worry about the lack of experience- most places provide training but if you start applying and keep getting rejected, you might want to think about doing some voluntary work (in a charity shop, for example) so you have some experience. In general, large supermarkets or shops have online applications (check their websites for vacancies in your local area) or paper application forms which you can send in the post, while small local shops might just ask for a CV. Just have a look online for vacancies or else call into the shops and ask.

It's worth a try :smile:
Most supermarkets hire online now, FYI! I didn't have any experience when I got my first job at 18, so don't worry - they're just looking for people with the same values as the company.
I work in a supermarket and have been since I was 16 (only a few years ago)

I got my job on-line, take a look on the website of the supermarket you'd like to work for and check for any vacancies and apply then and there!

How flexible are you? If you are 100% flexible then you'll find it much easier to find one of these jobs, but they still have weekend jobs/less hour positions for people not so flexible, just apply, you'll never know! Plus, in supermarkets they pay under 18s a bit less sometimes, which may encourage them to hire under 18s.
Do you need to have an interview

Most supermarkets don't do summer jobs. But you can get a part time job at a supermarket and work there alongside your studies. Quite a few people work somewhere part time alongside 6th form/college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending