The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teh User
I live at Oxley, it's really nice here if a bit far away from campus but all you need is here with en suites, common room with TV, bar etc. It's good particularly if you're an active sort of person as there's a gym and you're close to the playing fields. There is plenty on, easy transport to town with buses every 5 or so minutes from the main road or every 20 minutes from the smaller road that houses the main entrance. The only downside is having to wake up a bit earlier in the morning to get to campus in time.

Hey, thanks for the info! How long would it take to walk to uni from oxley? and how long would it take by bus/car?

:smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 3961
Original post by JakeE10
hey, it helped a lot! And The Tannery is the one i most like the look of (going off info and pictures on the website) and you've just made me lean towards that one even more! But obviously i'll have to go and see them before i make a decision. I've heard from a few people that a couple of the others are quite a way out from the campus and the city centre etc, i think i'd rather be a bit closer to it all! how does it work when you apply for accommodation? how many do you apply for? for example to you apply for three in order of preference or?!

Thanks again :smile:

Well thats good! :smile: Haha, I'm very biased so yeah make sure you do see the other halls and get your own view :smile: Yeah I personally feel the Tannery is the best located, the only place you're not near is Headingly, which is Leeds 'student area' however I think you do find that Headingly is more a second year and up area, most of the first years go out in town so you certainly don't miss anything by not being near it. I like the fact that we don't need to use any transport because from here you can walk pretty much anywhere, although there is a bus that goes from right outside the Tannery door to Morrissons in the Merrion Centre that's a £1.90 return or a £1 single. But tbh we have a little shop underneath the Tannery called Nisa that is first port of call for crisis of milk, loo roll, tomato sauce etc running out, and it's got plenty of alcohol at pretty decent prices, so your day to day shopping is easily done there, and most people tend to club together every few weeks for a big shop as a flat or in a pair and order an asda or tescos delivery which is about £3. You apply through the Leeds accomodation website, it isn't first come first served or anything so don't rush into a decision because you're worried about missing out, as long as you apply before the deadline you have an equal chance with everyone else. You have to have been given, and accepted, an offer on a course at Leeds as you need your student ID number to apply. You then select 1 accomodation only, then they give you 6 statements (or maybe 5 I can't remember) they're things like, 'close to campus' 'catered' 'low cost' 'social' and then theres one you can put your own for, for example I put a minimum of 5 in my flat as I didn't want to be in a studio flat at the Tannery, or in any of the 3 person ones. You have to number these from 1 to 5 with 1 being top priority and 5 being low. And then if you don't get your first choice, they use these to try and allocate you the next best suitable accomodation. Apparently seeing as they're knocking Bod down they're getting new accomodation somewhere (I've heard rumours that its in the city centre) Bods one of if not the biggest accomodation so there's going to have to be quite a lot of new stuff, I imagine that the info on it will be released before you apply as they're supposed to be knocking it down in Jan 2013, so you may have more options available to you by the time comes to actually apply to the accomodation you want.
Original post by JakeE10
Hey, thanks for the info! How long would it take to walk to uni from oxley? and how long would it take by bus/car?

:smile:

My pleasure. It takes around 40 minutes to walk as I've discovered. I wouldn't recommend it. You can get a bus pass which is fantastic. I use it all the time. Bus can take 10-25 minutes depending on traffic but there's a good community of students on the buses. Car is good for Oxley as you have a car park. Assuming you park in Hyde Park or along Headingley Lane's side streets giving you a 10 minute walk in and learn the side streets in heavy traffic, it takes about 5-10 minutes to drive in. I used to love driving in until I lost my car. I used to park in Hyde Park and leave Uni at 5pm and be back for 5:15pm dodging all the traffic.
Original post by emilymay

Leodis- don't know much but from what I've heard it's alright and not a bad distance from campus, not ensuite though I believe, depends what you want.

Leodis is all en suite (apart from 4 (out of 713) rooms which share a bathroom between 2) and is about 6 minutes walk from campus

James Baillie- VERY over applied for, quite unlikely to get in if you apply but I've heard it's ok, nothing extra special, also it's about half an hours walk to uni.

I'd have said James Baillie was more like 20 minutes walk (at a comparable speed of Tannery-Union being 15 mins) - maybe you have some very slow friends:smile:

Henry Price- Again very over applied for and fairly unlikely to get in, catered if thats what you're interested in, but quite expensive compared to others, however it is amazing inside, very well set out, very modern etc.

Henry Price is self-catered. Are you sure you're not thinking of Storm Jameson Court (part of Charles Morris Hall) which is catered and very modern? But you're right that both of them are very over applied for.

The Tannery- easily the best halls :wink: ..... there is a common room with sky telly which when looking at accom was one of the reasons i chose the Tannery but I've never watched anything on it :tongue: .

Glad you're enjoying The Tannery :biggrin:. Common rooms are a funny thing - like you, people want to apply for residences that have got them but then often never use them :frown:
Very useful summary though - thanks for spending the time to do it.:smile:
Reply 3964
Original post by accomoffice
Leodis is all en suite (apart from 4 (out of 713) rooms which share a bathroom between 2) and is about 6 minutes walk from campus

I'd have said James Baillie was more like 20 minutes walk (at a comparable speed of Tannery-Union being 15 mins) - maybe you have some very slow friends:smile:

Henry Price is self-catered. Are you sure you're not thinking of Storm Jameson Court (part of Charles Morris Hall) which is catered and very modern? But you're right that both of them are very over applied for.

Glad you're enjoying The Tannery :biggrin:. Common rooms are a funny thing - like you, people want to apply for residences that have got them but then often never use them :frown:
Very useful summary though - thanks for spending the time to do it.:smile:

Oh I didn't realise Leodis was ensuite, I'm sure someone told me it was shared bathrooms! Must have got it wrong :s

And haha yes maybe, I've got friends at Dev though which is right next door and they thought it was about half an hour too. Maybe they're going a funny route?

Oh dear :tongue: yes you're right I was thinking of Charles Morris, I think it's because they're both names I get them mixed up all the time. In that case, Henry Price is quite nice really, although theres quite a few people per kitchen, and the bathrooms are shared between 2, which actually put me off because you couldn't lock the door from the inside so the other person could potentially walk in on you which was slightly concerning.

Yeah I'm so glad I went for the Tannery it's definately the best place I could have gone and I'm so lucky to have got my first choice aswell! Yeah thats true, I think it might be because to get to the common room you have to go outside, as I'm in A block and the common room is in B, if I was in B i probably would have used it a bit more.

That's ok, I'm procrastinating, exam on Thursday and revision is so boring! :tongue:

Em
Oh I didn't realise Leodis was ensuite, I'm sure someone told me it was shared bathrooms! Must have got it wrong :s

And haha yes maybe, I've got friends at Dev though which is right next door and they thought it was about half an hour too. Maybe they're going a funny route?

Oh dear :tongue: yes you're right I was thinking of Charles Morris, I think it's because they're both names I get them mixed up all the time. In that case, Henry Price is quite nice really, although theres quite a few people per kitchen, and the bathrooms are shared between 2, which actually put me off because you couldn't lock the door from the inside so the other person could potentially walk in on you which was slightly concerning.

Yeah I'm so glad I went for the Tannery it's definately the best place I could have gone and I'm so lucky to have got my first choice aswell! Yeah thats true, I think it might be because to get to the common room you have to go outside, as I'm in A block and the common room is in B, if I was in B i probably would have used it a bit more.

That's ok, I'm procrastinating, exam on Thursday and revision is so boring! :tongue:

Em

I know someone at HP and they said it's quite obvious when someone's using the bathroom as the walls are relatively thin, so you can hear :tongue: Not sure if that's good or bad though...
Reply 3966
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
I know someone at HP and they said it's quite obvious when someone's using the bathroom as the walls are relatively thin, so you can hear :tongue: Not sure if that's good or bad though...

Definately bad, also if they're drunk theres no guarantee they're even going to remember they share a bathroom never mind check to see if you're in there. Or care if you're desperate for a wee while they throw up in it... :s-smilie: definately not my cup of tea :tongue: ensuite all the way
Calling all first and second year students at Leeds University!
Bright Futures Leeds is looking for Brand Ambassadors!

We’re looking for confident, reliable people with big personalities. You will be working in teams building the Bright Futures Leeds brand on campus and carrying out promotional activities such as flyering, collecting e-mails, putting up posters, doing lecture shout outs, approaching people in the union to tell them about Bright Futures and generally getting in front of peoples faces.

In return we’re offering you cash prizes for the most active Brand Ambassador, an employer reference from our Regional Manager and progression on to committee positions next year. You will also have access to our Bright Futures Network including contacts with top graduate employers we work with, access to fast track applications to internships and graduate roles and opportunities to get a mentor from a top firms such as Accenture.

If you are driven to achieve and have a good level of spoken English e-mail [email protected].

Also check out our Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bright-Futures-Society-Leeds/120083501392871
Reply 3968
tannery ftw
Reply 3969

Em

I'm in leodis and yeh they're all ensuite. Quite a quiet accomodation though. Although that may be because im on the top floor :P
Reccomend it though, nice area, close to the uni, has two shops which are like 5 mins away, not that far from city centre ether.
The only problem is that damn hill every morning. Omg it's the bane of my life. Get used to it but you still look at it every morning and think "i really dont wanna tackle you at this time in the morning" :P
Reply 3970
Most people who applied to Charles Morris (which Storm Jameson is part of) did not end up there as it was so over applied for. You're more likely to get a self catered accomodation than a catered one. The on campus ones are very difficult to get a place in. Don't bother with Boddington they're knocking it down Jan 2013. I'm self catered at the tannery. It's a really good distance to campus, really nice accomodation, very modern with a really great set up in rooms and flats. Definately would reccomend it.

That's useful to know! I keep looking at the different options and there are so many to choose from! When applying for the accommodation how many do you select- is it like first and second choice? I'm not worried about if it's catered accommodation or not I just don't want to be really far away from the uni and have an ensuite room! Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Darzee123
I got my offer from leeds last month its my first choice, and like others I'm not sure what accommodation to go for, but I really want ensuite and self-catered. I'm looking at James Baillie and Clarence dock at the moment......anybody for any advice on either of those?

Also, I got to see a room at henry price on the open day I went to.......shame the bathroom is more like a cupboard.....that you share.... :/ which put me right off it.

I live Clarence Dock and I love it. I didn't care about being on campus. It's likboarding school.. CD is in the most stunning surroundings by the water and has it's ownclbbing scene within walking distance.. and in my opnions are the best in leeds!
So the popular ones like James Baillie and Henry Price are basically just sheer luck?
Original post by jamie_jca
So the popular ones like James Baillie and Henry Price are basically just sheer luck?

Absolutely. The best advice is go in with an open mind, you'll likely get the majority of your preferred features you want on the choice list. I wanted en suite and car parking and went for James Baillie. I got Oxley but that's en suite and car parking as well.
Reply 3974
You have to think about what you want out of it really, heres what I'd say about each:

Oxley- quite far out from campus, bit of a pain to get to and from uni and town and things.
Leodis- don't know much but from what I've heard it's alright and not a bad distance from campus, not ensuite though I believe, depends what you want.
James Baillie- VERY over applied for, quite unlikely to get in if you apply but I've heard it's ok, nothing extra special, also it's about half an hours walk to uni.
Henry Price- Again very over applied for and fairly unlikely to get in, catered if thats what you're interested in, but quite expensive compared to others, however it is amazing inside, very well set out, very modern etc.
The Tannery- easily the best halls :wink: though I would say that seeing as I'm in this one. It's a good distance to campus, (about 15 mins to the union I'd say) about 10-15 mins to town as well which is pretty well placed. Rooms are lovely (DOUBLE BEDS) there is a common room with sky telly which when looking at accom was one of the reasons i chose the Tannery but I've never watched anything on it :tongue: people do though, in big groups sometimes if it's a popular program, the soaps are ususally on, and then stuff like x factor and I'm a celebrity etc :smile: The kitchens are pretty well equipped and you're with unite so you've got their security personnel and they're really good at responding to any problems because at the end of the day they're a business making money so they need to give good customer service and a good impression.

Hope thats helped!

I'm looking at the Tannery and wondering if anyone can help me- what's the difference between an en suite room and a studio flat, except for the price? Do you still share a kitchen in the studio flat?
Reply 3975
Original post by ek101
I'm looking at the Tannery and wondering if anyone can help me- what's the difference between an en suite room and a studio flat, except for the price? Do you still share a kitchen in the studio flat?

a studio flat is essentially the flat in one room, you have your own kitchen-bedroom area, and an ensuite bathroom, the kitchen is in the same room as the bedroom. You're essentially in a flat to yourself, its a bit less social than a regular flat and I know a lot of people who are in them didn't want to be because you are quite isolated. It's a personal choice really :smile: I prefer the regular flats because you get your own space in your bedroom, but you still have the social aspect of sharing the kitchen-living area with others :smile:
a studio flat is essentially the flat in one room, you have your own kitchen-bedroom area, and an ensuite bathroom, the kitchen is in the same room as the bedroom. You're essentially in a flat to yourself, its a bit less social than a regular flat and I know a lot of people who are in them didn't want to be because you are quite isolated. It's a personal choice really :smile: I prefer the regular flats because you get your own space in your bedroom, but you still have the social aspect of sharing the kitchen-living area with others :smile:

ahahaha hey Em! doing a little work procrastination by going on TSR :P i am! x
Can someone recommend me an accommodation? Preferably somewhere that is modern, has good location and student life? For what it matters, I will be studying Law at Leeds this september.

I am currently looking at the The Tannery and Broadcasting Towers. Any comments on these?

Also, should I be applying for an accommodation now? Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3978
Original post by alexpower
ahahaha hey Em! doing a little work procrastination by going on TSR :P i am! x

tut, not been on here in ages
Original post by dmz
tut, not been on here in ages

Thought it had been a bit quiet :wink:
Hope this means you've been having a good time.

Latest