The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sumsum123
There shuld be more rejection batches to come. & I had c3 on friday and it was death, torture, doom n gloom O.o . Hope yours goes better tmosz!

lol thanks man don't worry you will defiantly always do better then you thought.
Original post by BethaneyJ
Unfortunately it was only a batch so there will probably be more at some point. BUT THINK POSITIVE. :biggrin:

oh ok no problem yep it positive thinkin especially with exams in the way, can't afford to be negative lool :biggrin:
who else had c3 on friday... it was hard.
btw, i rang southampton and they told me exactly 772 people applied for BM6 course and that everyone will find out if they have an interview or rejection in february so not long left. I have biol4 on wednesday and f324 the day after... too much stress
Original post by cobra2k10
btw, i rang southampton and they told me exactly 772 people applied for BM6 course and that everyone will find out if they have an interview or rejection in february so not long left. I have biol4 on wednesday and f324 the day after... too much stress

all the best for your exams
Original post by cobra2k10

February seems to be the time when everything is nearing a close when it comes to interviews and rejections. Tbh, I'll be glad when this waiting game ends.

And I've got same exams as you, on same days too. Good luck! :smile:
I'm so glad this thread is getting back on track, after the negative patch I almost posted Black Eyed Peas haha!

My mother has told me I heard from Southampton on feb 5th last year sooo still got another 2 weeks of panicking and anticipation aha! on the plus side it's my birthday on Wednesday and I'm going to feel old :P
Original post by Ally312
I don't know whether to laugh at the first on or not, but I think I will. :laugh:
I remember being told about the guy with the skull face! - I never searched it at the time, but that is awful :eek:

My favourite Youtube remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfeyUGZt8nk

And yes, I waste way too much time on Youtube - Which is quite bad considering I have 2 exams this week :colondollar:

Haha love it!

Some people waste too much time on TSR :biggrin:
Original post by popsiclee67
I'm so glad this thread is getting back on track, after the negative patch I almost posted Black Eyed Peas haha!

My mother has told me I heard from Southampton on feb 5th last year sooo still got another 2 weeks of panicking and anticipation aha! on the plus side it's my birthday on Wednesday and I'm going to feel old :P

Shut up just shut up shut up!

Hehe :smile:
There shuld be more rejection batches to come. & I had c3 on friday and it was death, torture, doom n gloom O.o . Hope yours goes better tmosz!

Yeh lots of people came out of that exam going "Have to resit it in june", so maybe the grade boundaries will go down? :2euk48l:
Lol I only pass on the little snippets I get from being an insider. I dunno, being at med school has put me off being a doctor. Might just get my degree and do something else.... fortune cookie writing or weaving... something a little less stressful. Haha.

Could you give a brief summary on what they teach BM6 students in their first year? (Sorry if this has been asked before)

Out of curiousity, is it the stress alone that has turned you off medicine, or something more?

E: Whats the neg for >_> I feel like drawing all comments from this forum because its just getting ridiculous. I'm not saying anything thats offensive nor am I making a point that someone might disagree with.
(edited 12 years ago)
Come on guys, this is after the line that was drawn! Lets assume TS, that someone has clicked neg by mistake, and is too upset about it to just say so.

Original post by TheStudent.
Could you give a brief summary on what they teach BM6 students in their first year? (Sorry if this has been asked before)

Out of curiousity, is it the stress alone that has turned you off medicine, or something more?

E: Whats the neg for >_> I feel like drawing all comments from this forum because its just getting ridiculous. I'm not saying anything thats offensive nor am I making a point that someone might disagree with.

Eeerrm. It's a lot of things. Competitiveness, smugness lol, stress, hours, pay (not really amazing for the work/responsibility), politics, learning bumps on bones for the sake of it, people always (always) slagging off doctors/the NHS/healthcare.

I think I'm too... floofy....I don't like confrontation and don't have a thick enough skin. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. We'll see!

Brief summery -

Human Structure & Function I
This will enable you to understand key physiological, anatomical & biochemical concepts and principles that you can apply in problem based scenarios.
This will prepare you to successfully undertake the early years of the BM programme. You will specifically study; the structure and function of biological macromolecules and the principles of metabolism; principles of homeostasis & homeostatic imbalance, particularly as applied to the cardiovascular system; the structure & function of cells & tissues; basic anatomy; nutrition & the digestive system; principles of enzymology and energetics; principles of medical microbiology and immunology.

Professional Practice I
This will enable you to understand and experience the practice of medicine through work placements and to help you evaluate & reflect on these experiences and to apply theory to practice.
The unit is designed around 3 projects; The roles of health care professionals; Communication in health care: The media and medicine. You will be introduced to aspects of health sociology and psychology as applied to medicine and also develop your skills in numeracy, statistics, IT and information retrieval.

Human Structure & Function II
This unit will enable you to build on your learning in HSFI as it is in a similar format with similar modes of assessment. Again you will be provided with an understanding of essential anatomical, physiological & biochemical concepts that you can apply to problem based scenarios.
The topics include the structure and function of the nervous system, muscle, the renal system & the endocrine system. Aspects of imbalance in these systems will also be considered. You will also explore the principles and applications to the human body of acid base balance, pH, dissociation constants, buffers and redox reactions. Also covered is cell division, the cell cycle, growth and the stages of human development. Finally you will explore the principles of genetics and some of its applications.

Professional Practice II
This unit will enable you to build on your learning in PPI as it is constructed in a similar format. As in PPI you will produce a portfolio of your placement experiences and project work.
In particular this unit will develop your understanding of the organization of health care ( primarily in the UK), the different factors that influence health and illness and ethical issues in medicine. You will further develop your understanding of IT, information retrieval and basic statistics and their application in health care.

How's that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Come on guys, this is after the line that was drawn! Lets assume TS, that someone has clicked neg by mistake, and is too upset about it to just say so.

Eeerrm. It's a lot of things. Competitiveness, smugness lol, stress, hours, pay (not really amazing for the work/responsibility), politics, learning bumps on bones for the sake of it, people always (always) slagging off doctors/the NHS/healthcare.

I think I'm too... floofy....I don't like confrontation and don't have a thick enough skin. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. We'll see!

Brief summery -

Human Structure & Function I
This will enable you to understand key physiological, anatomical & biochemical concepts and principles that you can apply in problem based scenarios.
This will prepare you to successfully undertake the early years of the BM programme. You will specifically study; the structure and function of biological macromolecules and the principles of metabolism; principles of homeostasis & homeostatic imbalance, particularly as applied to the cardiovascular system; the structure & function of cells & tissues; basic anatomy; nutrition & the digestive system; principles of enzymology and energetics; principles of medical microbiology and immunology.

Professional Practice I
This will enable you to understand and experience the practice of medicine through work placements and to help you evaluate & reflect on these experiences and to apply theory to practice.
The unit is designed around 3 projects; The roles of health care professionals; Communication in health care: The media and medicine. You will be introduced to aspects of health sociology and psychology as applied to medicine and also develop your skills in numeracy, statistics, IT and information retrieval.

Human Structure & Function II
This unit will enable you to build on your learning in HSFI as it is in a similar format with similar modes of assessment. Again you will be provided with an understanding of essential anatomical, physiological & biochemical concepts that you can apply to problem based scenarios.
The topics include the structure and function of the nervous system, muscle, the renal system & the endocrine system. Aspects of imbalance in these systems will also be considered. You will also explore the principles and applications to the human body of acid base balance, pH, dissociation constants, buffers and redox reactions. Also covered is cell division, the cell cycle, growth and the stages of human development. Finally you will explore the principles of genetics and some of its applications.

Professional Practice II
This unit will enable you to build on your learning in PPI as it is constructed in a similar format. As in PPI you will produce a portfolio of your placement experiences and project work.
In particular this unit will develop your understanding of the organization of health care ( primarily in the UK), the different factors that influence health and illness and ethical issues in medicine. You will further develop your understanding of IT, information retrieval and basic statistics and their application in health care.

How's that?

You might change your mind after 5 years :biggrin:

Thank youuu
Yeh lots of people came out of that exam going "Have to resit it in june", so maybe the grade boundaries will go down? :2euk48l:

The grade boundaries can be low, it won't save me :frown: . The minute I put my pen down , I thought mmm I can't resit this module or else Nottingham won't want me. Then I thought , do they even want me to begin with? Ahaha !

Oh gosh O.o , maths!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-IPy7Tw8otzc/TqbcKTh2MaI/AAAAAAAAAjY/6PQ0do6NbD4/hater_gonna_hate_02.jpg

Seems relevant. :smile:
Original post by bubble3004
all the best for your exams

Original post by Ally312
February seems to be the time when everything is nearing a close when it comes to interviews and rejections. Tbh, I'll be glad when this waiting game ends.

And I've got same exams as you, on same days too. Good luck! :smile:

thanks guys! :smile: just study hard and you'll do well. it'll all be worth it at the end. Now let me get back to chemiosmosis...
The grade boundaries can be low, it won't save me :frown: . The minute I put my pen down , I thought mmm I can't resit this module or else Nottingham won't want me. Then I thought , do they even want me to begin with? Ahaha !

Oh gosh O.o , maths!

Good news is we'll be hearing from notts before we recieve our results in march :biggrin:, (hopefully!) Did you apply to the foundation or the normal 5 year course?
Good news is we'll be hearing from notts before we recieve our results in march :biggrin:, (hopefully!) Did you apply to the foundation or the normal 5 year course?

Oh yerhh :tongue: , exams do bring on irrational thinking ahah ! Hopefully! Foundation and you ?
Oh yerhh :tongue: , exams do bring on irrational thinking ahah ! Hopefully! Foundation and you ?

Foundation :five: even though realistically i won't get in :biggrin: still worth a shot though
Reply 1518
Foundation :five: even though realistically i won't get in :biggrin: still worth a shot though

Why won't you get in?

Why would'nt you. If it is because of the amount of ppl applying :L the numbers are against us all :P

Quick Reply

Latest