University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Archaeology 2012 Undergraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldenmermaid

I have an interview in February :smile:
What are the interviews actually like? Are they as academic as Oxbridge ones? (Cause I've forgotton all my Oxford prep, so I'd have to go over that again lol)
Quite excited about it actually, I hardly ever get to go to London! :biggrin:

They're not really academic at all, more just a chat so they can get to know you and why you want to be at UCL/in London. They'll probably ask something archaeology-related to see how you think about things but it's nothing too intense, they don't expect you to know a lot. I got a few questions about interests and stuff on my personal statement/questionnaire but it was mainly just asking me to expand rather than being an interrogation. It is of course different for every interviewer.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
What are the interviews actually like? Are they as academic as Oxbridge ones? (Cause I've forgotton all my Oxford prep, so I'd have to go over that again lol)

Yeah I was just asked about my hobbies and what I do in my spare time, and why I want to do archaeology. At one point we even got to talking about what my sister's hoping to do at university!

So what course have you applied for, and what are your predicted grades and stuff, if you don't mind me asking... :smile:
Reply 182

The interviews are NOTHING like Oxbridge ones, they are very relaxed and informal and the staff interviewing you are just trying to get a sense of who you are and NOT what you know! They don't expect you to have any archaeological knowledge or experience, we're very much on the page that you're starting from scratch and are going to be at uni to learn about the subject, starting from scratch if you will!
The whole department is very friendly as I hope people who have had their interviews will agree and as much as I can say don't be nervous, it's natural but I assure you you'll come out and you'll see what I mean!
I must've said this so many times, so forgive me for repeating but its true that the department is seeing if THEY are right for YOU as much as the other way around!
Good luck , if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask x
Original post by dirtyoldriver
They're not really academic at all, more just a chat so they can get to know you and why you want to be at UCL/in London. They'll probably ask something archaeology-related to see how you think about things but it's nothing too intense, they don't expect you to know a lot. I got a few questions about interests and stuff on my personal statement/questionnaire but it was mainly just asking me to expand rather than being an interrogation. It is of course different for every interviewer.

Ahh right thanks, that's got me less worried now :smile: I will just go over my statement then. Sounds quite fun!
Original post by yakuzakitty
Yeah I was just asked about my hobbies and what I do in my spare time, and why I want to do archaeology. At one point we even got to talking about what my sister's hoping to do at university!

So what course have you applied for, and what are your predicted grades and stuff, if you don't mind me asking... :smile:

Thanks, and no I don't mind you asking :smile: I've applied for Archaeology and Anthropology joint, and I do History, Geography, Biology and Maths, and I'm predicted A*A*AA in that order (although I already have the A in maths). What about you? :smile:
Original post by ArchAnon
The interviews are NOTHING like Oxbridge ones, they are very relaxed and informal and the staff interviewing you are just trying to get a sense of who you are and NOT what you know! They don't expect you to have any archaeological knowledge or experience, we're very much on the page that you're starting from scratch and are going to be at uni to learn about the subject, starting from scratch if you will!
The whole department is very friendly as I hope people who have had their interviews will agree and as much as I can say don't be nervous, it's natural but I assure you you'll come out and you'll see what I mean!
I must've said this so many times, so forgive me for repeating but its true that the department is seeing if THEY are right for YOU as much as the other way around!
Good luck , if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask x

Thank you, that is really useful to know! :biggrin: Glad I don't have to learn loads! And it sounds like it will be an enjoyable day :smile:
Thanks, and no I don't mind you asking :smile: I've applied for Archaeology and Anthropology joint, and I do History, Geography, Biology and Maths, and I'm predicted A*A*AA in that order (although I already have the A in maths). What about you? :smile:

Oh wow, quite the smartie aren't you! Congrats on those grades :smile:
I've applied for single honours, I'm currently studying Archaeology, History and English Lit at A Level and Japanese as an ASSET language. I also studied Media and Ancient History at AS, and Mandarin for ASSET last year. My predicted grades are A*A*Aac :smile:
Reply 187
Thank you, that is really useful to know! :biggrin: Glad I don't have to learn loads! And it sounds like it will be an enjoyable day :smile:

I hope it will!
We are revamping the presentation we give to you guys as part of the day as well so you will be the first lot to see it!

Good luck and see you there x
Oh wow, quite the smartie aren't you! Congrats on those grades :smile:
I've applied for single honours, I'm currently studying Archaeology, History and English Lit at A Level and Japanese as an ASSET language. I also studied Media and Ancient History at AS, and Mandarin for ASSET last year. My predicted grades are A*A*Aac :smile:

Haha thank you :smile: but you sound quite smart yourself, Japanese and Mandarin! I'm rubbish at languages! :wink: What's archaeology a level like?
Original post by ArchAnon
I hope it will!
We are revamping the presentation we give to you guys as part of the day as well so you will be the first lot to see it!

Good luck and see you there x

Thank you :smile:
Reply 190
Oh gosh you're all so smart! So no-one else being interviewed in January?
Haha thank you :smile: but you sound quite smart yourself, Japanese and Mandarin! I'm rubbish at languages! :wink: What's archaeology a level like?

It's really, good, it's how I properly got into the subject. We don't really do any practical archaeology, but we learn about techniques and sites and theories...
Original post by Kirikyu
Oh gosh you're all so smart! So no-one else being interviewed in January?

I was, but it's on the same day as my biology exam so it got postponed :smile:
It's really, good, it's how I properly got into the subject. We don't really do any practical archaeology, but we learn about techniques and sites and theories...

Wow sounds great. :smile: I have been on a few digs, which were really fun but very hard work! Atm, I am kinda more interested in the anthropology side of my course, evolution and stuff, do you do any of that?
Wow sounds great. :smile: I have been on a few digs, which were really fun but very hard work! Atm, I am kinda more interested in the anthropology side of my course, evolution and stuff, do you do any of that?

Yeah, I sorted out a dig last Summer with Newcastle University which was brilliant, but as you say, reaaally hard work. Where did you do yours?

Yeah, one of the things we study for A2 is human evolution and Out of Africa I & II, and Neanderthal extinction. I really liked anthropology and found it interesting but I realised I wanted to focus on archaeology :smile:
Reply 195
I just got an offer!!! ABB for BA Archaeology! I have to keep checking but it's definitely still there! :biggrin:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! (not that you'll need it!)

(My interview was early December.)
Original post by Izzybeth
I just got an offer!!! ABB for BA Archaeology! I have to keep checking but it's definitely still there! :biggrin:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! (not that you'll need it!)

(My interview was early December.)

Ahhhh me too! :biggrin: I'm so 'effing happy!!!

Congratulations ^^

And good luck to those who haven't heard yet :smile:
Reply 197
Oh my goodness, I can't believe it- I got an offer today too, and it's ABB as well! (though for BSc, in my case) I think I'd basically convinced myself I wasn't going to get in, and even if I did it'd be AAB- I suddenly feel a bit more relaxed about my upcoming science exams, heh. This is so unbelievably brilliant and has basically made me worryingly hyperactive :rolleyes: (oh god, I feel like I'm gloating now even though I'm just so excited, but I'll shut up anyway)

So congrats, Izzybeth and yakuzakitty, that's brilliant! (fingers crossed I'll be seeing you next year, I guess :biggrin:) Has anyone else got an offer today?

But good luck to everyone who's still waiting :smile: I hope you all get in!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sushifer
Oh my goodness, I can't believe it- I got an offer today too, and it's ABB as well! (though for BSc, in my case) I think I'd basically convinced myself I wasn't going to get in, and even if I did it'd be AAB- I suddenly feel a bit more relaxed about my upcoming science exams, heh. This is so unbelievably brilliant and has basically made me worryingly hyperactive :rolleyes: (oh god, I feel like I'm gloating now even though I'm just so excited, but I'll shut up anyway)

So congrats, Izzybeth and yakuzakitty, that's brilliant! (fingers crossed I'll be seeing you next year, I guess :biggrin:) Has anyone else got an offer today?

But good luck to everyone who's still waiting :smile: I hope you all get in!

Ahh congrats to you as well ^^
i got an offer today... i was so sure that they had decided to reject me early, as it wasn't the 27th!!!!

I am so so relieved it's ABB!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending