The Student Room Group

Philosophy applicants for 2012 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lapis.chloerose
Okay so AAB offer from KCL.. Gratz
I haven't heard back from KCL yet, I'm predicted A*A*A
Four A's in Lower sixth, all traditional academic subjects including a language. 100% in both Philosophy and English literature...
Please fill me in on how you got such an awesome offer from them... and where I may have gone wrong... I didn't do Duke of Edinburgh, is that my problem LOL!

I applied to St Andrews, KCL, Durham, Exeter and Heythrop.
I have offers from the last two and fully intend to firm Heythrop no matter what, just applied to the others to see if I could get in LOL!

Firstly just to make clear I've applied for Philosophy, Religion and Ethics.

I'm predicted exactly the same as you :smile: I do philosophy, religious studies and politics and dropped history after AS. I got AAAB at AS and the B was in philosophy as I got 92/100 in the first paper and low C in the second paper. No idea how that happened but retaking on Wednesday fingers crossed.

My UCAS form was sent mid-November time and I got the email from them saying they'd got it. I received another email from them saying that my application is actually being considered by someone on Friday morning, and my offer came Friday evening. Hardly anyone I know whose applied to KCL, and not just people for philosophy, have heard back from them so I think they're late in giving out offers, so seriously don't panic.

I didn't do D of E either. Our school stressed it doesn't actually mean that much anymore, because it's so common. I don't do any extra curricular sports etc at all. But I am quite actively engaged with my subject; I do a lot for amnesty international, I've been on Young Voter's Question Time and had both my questions picked to lead the panel and following on from that was asked to go on the other BBC show, "The Big Questions". I also live in Cambridge, so there's always tons of lectures and talks going on organised by the university with well known people in the field speaking. I did start Year 13 doing an EPQ as well, which I was predicted an A in. My question was "How do modern day Hindu UK citizens interpret traditional erotic Hindu art?" Sadly I had to spend some time in hospital and the work load got too much so I had to drop it, but the research and places I visited still looked quite interesting on my personal statement.

Feel like such a show off saying all of that, but you did ask :P
Reply 501
Original post by JustCharley
Offer from Oxford Brookes (BCC), Birmingham (AAB), Manchester (AAB + interview), Leeds (ABB) and KCL (AAB)

KCL and leeds were the ones I wanted :biggrin: Might not bother with manchester interview everyone says they're a waste of time ... x

When did you send your application off? :smile:
Reply 502

I haven't heard back from KCL yet, I'm predicted A*A*A
Four A's in Lower sixth, all traditional academic subjects including a language. 100% in both Philosophy and English literature...
Please fill me in on how you got such an awesome offer from them... and where I may have gone wrong... I didn't do Duke of Edinburgh, is that my problem LOL!

When did you send it off? They may not have had a chance to look at it yet.
Original post by ievaavei
When did you send your application off? :smile:

Mid November x
Mid November x

I sent my application off on November 16th and also haven't heard back from them yet, I wouldn't worry too much.
Woo Durham offer today. Very happy!

Feel like such a show off saying all of that, but you did ask :P

That wasn't showing off at all!
I am very grateful that you answered fully, I think my extra curriculars may have been my let down. Also I sent my form out later than you as well as applying for a different course. Just Philosophy for me...
I have lots of music/ speech and drama grades but nothing quite so impressive as you. Co-running yoga workshops and Bhajan are the extent of mine and a few prize essays.
Are you going to any of the Peter Vardy lectures this spring? Religious ethics features quite heavily.

Wonder why my original post got negged...
Original post by Whoracle11
Woo Durham offer today. Very happy!

is this for single hons?
what college did you apply to?
:smile:
That wasn't showing off at all!
I am very grateful that you answered fully, I think my extra curriculars may have been my let down. Also I sent my form out later than you as well as applying for a different course. Just Philosophy for me...
I have lots of music/ speech and drama grades but nothing quite so impressive as you. Co-running yoga workshops and Bhajan are the extent of mine and a few prize essays.
Are you going to any of the Peter Vardy lectures this spring? Religious ethics features quite heavily.

Wonder why my original post got negged...

I'm not the biggest fan of Peter Vardy because I find that he never seems to anything which is that original, but just repeats what other philosophers have said. I did read his "Puzzle of" series last year and out of the lot, I found the Puzzle of Sex the most stimulating, if you excuse the pun, because it was relatively easy to recognise his line of argument the whole way through. So no I won't be rushing too quickly to those ...

Your extra curricular stuff is really good!! It's pretty hard for them to let you down unless you spend too much time talking about that and not your subject. The prize essays no doubt will serve you very very well. I'm not confident enough to enter any of mine in. I also find it impossible studying three hefty essay subjects to find the time to write even more essays!!
I firmed Bristol University! Any other bristol firmers?? ") xxx
Any advice on what to have as my insurance guys?
I'm doing the IB... predicted 40 with 766 in my highers, but I'm not sure whether I'll actually achieve that.
I'm going to firm Cambridge... who want 38 with 766.

And my other offers are...
Warwick - 38
Durham - 37 (666)
Sheffield - 35
Nottingham - 34

What should I do?? :frown:
There's not much difference between my Warwick and Cambridge offers... but if I put one of the lower ones down and get 38 but not the 766 I'm going to be very annoyed... :frown:
I quite like the Sheffield syllabus because there's quite a lot of freedom... but I guess I'm worried that it isn't as reputable as cambridge, durham and warwick... but is that superficial of me?
Argh...

no need for the neg... just asking for advice, jeesh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by XxelliexX
Any advice on what to have as my insurance guys?
I'm doing the IB... predicted 40 with 766 in my highers, but I'm not sure whether I'll actually achieve that.
I'm going to firm Cambridge... who want 38 with 766.

And my other offers are...
Warwick - 38
Durham - 37 (666)
Sheffield - 35
Nottingham - 34

What should I do?? :frown:
There's not much difference between my Warwick and Cambridge offers... but if I put one of the lower ones down and get 38 but not the 766 I'm going to be very annoyed... :frown:
I quite like the Sheffield syllabus because there's quite a lot of freedom... but I guess I'm worried that it isn't as reputable as cambridge, durham and warwick... but is that superficial of me?
Argh...

Then firm Sheffield; it is a very reputable university, otherwise you could maybe firm Durham.
Original post by electric-wars
Then firm Sheffield; it is a very reputable university, otherwise you could maybe firm Durham.

Firm? Do you mean put it as my insurance? I'm going to firm Cambridge...
Original post by XxelliexX
Firm? Do you mean put it as my insurance? I'm going to firm Cambridge...

Yes, insurance. I am running on three hours sleep so I apologize :tongue:.
Original post by electric-wars
Yes, insurance. I am running on three hours sleep so I apologize :tongue:.

Haha, fair enough :P thanks for the advice
Reply 515
Offers from:

KCL, York, Reading and Oxford Brookes.

I'm still waiting on bloody Bristol; waiting for a rejection I think.
Reply 516
Original post by Joey15
Offers from:

KCL, York, Reading and Oxford Brookes.

I'm still waiting on bloody Bristol; waiting for a rejection I think.

May I ask when you did send your application off?
I am waiting to hear back from Brookes...:smile:
Reply 517
Original post by ievaavei
May I ask when you did send your application off?
I am waiting to hear back from Brookes...:smile:

13th October :smile:. Good luck!
BA Philosophy Offer from KCL AAA
I'm predicted A*A*AB
Still planning on firming Heythrop though
BA Philosophy Offer from KCL AAA
I'm predicted A*A*AB
Still planning on firming Heythrop though

Snap! They must have sent a batch out at the same time. Congratulations!

You'd choose Heythrop over KCL? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest