The Student Room Group

Sussex, Surrey, Kent, or Essex?

How would you rank these 4 unis.
Reply 1
Sussex
Surrey
Kent
Essex

(Can i just add, they're all good universities, and they all rank really well)
Reply 2
Surely it depends on the subject?
Original post by swbp
Sussex
Surrey
Kent
Essex

(Can i just add, they're all good universities, and they all rank really well)

^This pretty much.

And it also does depend on subject, Surrey is very well regarded for Physics and Engineering and it's reputation for these subjects outweighs it's more general reputation.

Kent is apparently very good for English and also American studies.

And I've heard very good things about Sussex for History and also Economics.

But overall they are good solid Unis without too much difference in their reputations.
Reply 4
I would say that Sussex ranks highest overall. Surrey has a great reputation for sciences, and Kent for History, English and other arts. Sussex however ranks brilliantly for a tonne of subjects including Sociology, English, Chemistry, Bio Sciences, Psychology and others. I'm going there next year to study Geography and can't get enough of the place :smile:
Essex's Language and Linguistics department is phenomenal <3

In terms of consistent quality across subjects and reputation, Surrey will be at the top of my list, followed by Kent. Then again, I've never browsed Sussex's website or prospectus :colondollar:
Surrey
Sussex
Kent
Essex

just an opinion from word of mouth. Surrey and Sussex are pretty even I think but Surrey just edges it for me because I loved it when I visited and I plan to go there myself.
None of them are that bad, to be honest.

I'd say Sussex edges it for its overall quality
Surrey's forte is its sciences
Kent has strength in arts and humanities
Essex is broadly solid.
Reply 8
Depends on your subject of course. But surrey usually do placement years so may have better prospects
Reply 9
Sussex
Kent
Surrey
Essex

That's from what I have heard
At first I only applied to Surrey because I like, well, Surrey, but it wasn't really a serious choice. I'm warming to the idea though (two rejections tends to help you make your mind up)...is the thing they tout about being top for graduate employment serious? Because I can't really believe it, surely Oxford/London uni graduates have an easier time of it getting jobs? Is it just because of Surrey's placement years?
Reply 11
Original post by chinaberry

At first I only applied to Surrey because I like, well, Surrey, but it wasn't really a serious choice. I'm warming to the idea though (two rejections tends to help you make your mind up)...is the thing they tout about being top for graduate employment serious? Because I can't really believe it, surely Oxford/London uni graduates have an easier time of it getting jobs? Is it just because of Surrey's placement years?

I think Surrey have such great employablility because they mainly offer science courses, which obviously have good employment overall. It can't be denied though, that if they're top for employment, they must be doing something right :smile:
Original post by swbp
I think Surrey have such great employablility because they mainly offer science courses, which obviously have good employment overall. It can't be denied though, that if they're top for employment, they must be doing something right :smile:

Ah yes- that would skew it! Quite crafty of them...thanks :smile:
Reply 13

Ah yes- that would skew it! Quite crafty of them...thanks :smile:

Surrey have great employability, and Sussex great satisfaction and teaching. I would say they were just a tad ahead of the others. However my sister studies at kent, and really likes it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending