The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not hugely impressed with the new Mirai Nikki OP... the song isn't as good (IMO :p:), the sequence shows what the so far un-revealed diary owners look like (spoilers :mad:), and it re-uses a lot of animation from the first OP too (mostly of Yuno). :sigh: I was hoping they'd keep the old one. :sad:

This season is lacking decent theme songs in general, excluding the few from last season that haven't changed. :hmmmm2:

[EDIT] Meh, the new ED is pretty good, I'll forgive them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Cornerstone
Seems I was too quick to dismiss this season as not a good one as I find myself enjoying watching Symphogear and Space pirates (forgot it's name).:s-smilie:

And 'Another' is finally starting to get real.

There are a number of very good shows this season. I've found at least 6 keepers :wink: Even though I'm essentially watching like 18 of them....

That's the one thing sports anime isn't from what I've seen. It's not surprising to see characters doing bicycle kicks 50 feet in the air, running at lightning speed or seeing football shots that might as well be ballistic missiles. I haven't watched Area no Kishi but if it has a lot of these usual things then I have made a good choice not watching it.:tongue:

See that is what I thought however, in the spirit of the new season and a new blog, I thought why not try everything and not dismiss anything without good reason. And oddly enough, I found myself liking Kishi. And even though some of the events of the last episode were a lolwut moment, I'm still really liking the show. And like what Aiko said bellow, for the most part, the sport aspects (competitive parts) are very realistic. I'd recommend you try it, you might find another to add to your growing list of surprises :wink:

Original post by Aiko
As Cornerstone has said, sport shounen is typically exaggerated with the aim to make it more entertaining to watch and inline with the shounen market (this is applicable for any type of competitive activity such as boardgames, not just sport). However, this is not to suggest that it's not realistic at all, such exaggerations are merely for animation/aesthetic purposes, the sport itself will still be covered in a believable way (for instance, in Major, Goro's pitches are akin to a rocket launcher, but everything else such as his career are covered in an accurate way (coming from someone who actively follows 'real life' baseball).

In this regard, Area no Kishi isn't representative of the sport genre as a whole. Still, none of the aforementioned, however unbelievable, has tainted my enjoyment of the series overall. :smile:

Fair enough. Well as I said, I'm still quite liking Kishi. I think it will only get better :yep:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Not hugely impressed with the new Mirai Nikki OP... the song isn't as good (IMO :p:), the sequence shows what the so far un-revealed diary owners look like (spoilers :mad:), and it re-uses a lot of animation from the first OP too (mostly of Yuno). :sigh: I was hoping they'd keep the old one. :sad:

This season is lacking decent theme songs in general, excluding the few from last season that haven't changed. :hmmmm2:

[EDIT] Meh, the new ED is pretty good, I'll forgive them.

Yeah, it wasn't good and, from the manga, pretty spoilerific. Didn't like the ED either.

But this season is not that bad in terms of theme songs, my favourite is probably Brave 10, but then I always liked action packed OPs

Original post by Facticity
There are a number of very good shows this season. I've found at least 6 keepers :wink: Even though I'm essentially watching like 18 of them....

See that is what I thought however, in the spirit of the new season and a new blog, I thought why not try everything and not dismiss anything without good reason. And oddly enough, I found myself liking Kishi. And even though some of the events of the last episode were a lolwut moment, I'm still really liking the show. And like what Aiko said bellow, for the most part, the sport aspects (competitive parts) are very realistic. I'd recommend you try it, you might find another to add to your growing list of surprises :wink:

You're probably right, I tend to be quick to dismiss series as I always want a short list that I can get through and not waste my time with series that have the exact thing that I made me not want to watch it in the first place. But I might forgive Kishi as I like football anyway.:tongue:
You're probably right, I tend to be quick to dismiss series as I always want a short list that I can get through and not waste my time with series that have the exact thing that I made me not want to watch it in the first place. But I might forgive Kishi as I like football anyway.:tongue:

One thing I quickly dismissed was Kill me Baby and also PapaKiki :sigh: Also, High School DxD. People are telling me to give them another try but after the awful first episodes, I don't know if I will. I probably will, just for the heck of it :tongue:
But if the second episodes don't catch me, they are staying permanently dropped.

And I do love the BRAVE 10 OP too. Also, the Another ED is great. The Kishi OP is quite good also. And the Persona 4 OPs have been both awesome. :yy:
(edited 12 years ago)
One thing I quickly dismissed was Kill me Baby and also PapaKiki :sigh: Also, High School DxD. People are telling me to give them another try but after the awful first episodes, I don't know if I will. I probably will, just for the heck of it :tongue:
But if the second episodes don't catch me, they are staying permanently dropped.

And I do love the BRAVE 10 OP too. Also, the Another ED is great. The Kishi OP is quite good also. And the Persona 4 OPs have been both awesome. :yy:

The negativity of Kill me Baby and PapaKiki put me off it, I new from the moment I saw High School DxD that there would be full of Ecchi stuff and no much else, and the reviews of anime blogs proved me right. So I'll probably stay away from these (I might try Kill me Baby for the lulz). I tend to dismiss a lot of series but it's only so I can have a manageable chunk to get through.

Apart from Kishi (I wouldn't know) I agree, they're all very good :yes:.
I'm struggling to think of ANY new theme songs that I'd listen to outside of the episode itself... heck, most of them I'd probably skip even then.

If I had to pick a fave OP from the new season, it'd probably be Symphogear's; ED-wise... Papa no Iu Koto wo Kikinasai just about wins.

Reply 2706
Fair enough. Well as I said, I'm still quite liking Kishi. I think it will only get better :yep:

Well, after checking your A-P account, I've noticed that you've seen Hajime no Ippo, a pinnacle of the genre, so my previous post was unnecessary for you. :tongue:
well that was a fun ep of persona :laugh: had some persona 3 cameos with the soundtrack played throughout most of the ep, makes me wana get back to playing the game :h:

started playing katawa shoujo, it was pretty meh until stuff actually started happening, on to act 3 with emi :h:
Original post by Aiko
Well, after checking your A-P account, I've noticed that you've seen Hajime no Ippo, a pinnacle of the genre, so my previous post was unnecessary for you. :tongue:

Haha no worries. Admittedly though, I must admit I think I was wrong about Ano Natsu. I'm beginning to enjoy it more and more. And whilst I don't like to be wrong, I don't mind when ultimately, I get a potentially, very good anime from it :tongue:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm struggling to think of ANY new theme songs that I'd listen to outside of the episode itself... heck, most of them I'd probably skip even then.

If I had to pick a fave OP from the new season, it'd probably be Symphogear's; ED-wise... Papa no Iu Koto wo Kikinasai just about wins.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely agree. I forgot since I dropped the show after the first episode but it was a really nice ED.
well that 3rd series of Zero no Tsukaima was meh, roll on 4th series..

Kushina kicks arse :awesome: the story behind her and Minato was sweet :cute:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2710
Been a bit lax on the watching recently. Step-father had a stroke so I'm having to take care of him and my mother.

Anyway, managed to finish iM@S recently, which was a pleasure.

Haven't picked up anything from this season other than Kill Me Baby (though I don't expect much from it in the first place, despite deciding to pick it up as soon as I learned about its premis, plus a lot of mixed opinions), though I haven't watched it yet. And Amagami SS+ which is more of the same from the first season, but still a great watch. Will probs pick up a few more shows as the season progresses, including Nisemonogatari, Black Rock Shooter, Aquarion EVOL and Mouretsu Pirates.

Finally got around to watching all of Carnival Phantasm Season 3 and enjoyed the living hell out of it. Same with Fate/Prototype.

Rewatched Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye, because I needed a dose of Macross with it coming to the 30th anniversary.

Guilty Crown is still Guilty Crown. Generic and predictable as hell, but I can't stop watching.

Edit: Aaaand I've picked up Papa no Iukoto on a whim.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2711
The latest episode of Another certainly upped the ante at the end, and the multiple clues that were provided throughout makes for an intriguing and interesting mystery. Moreover, P.A. Works have done a really good job with the animation and particularly the soundtrack that is crucial for a series like this. I'll admit that it would have been nice to have a slightly less conventional character design as I believe it would have contributed to the eeriness with far greater suspense, but hey, this is anime and it probably would have had the opposite effect with viewers. In any case, so far my favourite of the season.
I finished The Mysterious Cities of Gold... the ending was a little underwhelming (as is so often the case), but it was fun. And educational! I'm impressed by how many Incan/Mayan/Aztec legends, buildings and artifacts they were able to work into the story. I'll be starting Magic Knight Rayearth TV next... I'll get you eventually, TMS Entertainment badge!

Damned Chihayafuru episode 16... recap, but with amusing omake segments dispersed throughout that I had to skip through to find. So much effort, it's a wonder I still have the energy to type. :sigh: :p:

I decided not to post my usual early impressions of the new season's series on my blog this time, because the shows I've picked up are fairly even at the moment (i.e. slightly above average, each with their own strengths and weaknesses). I couldn't rank them easily...

Amagami isn't as good as the first series due to the fact its arcs are half the length, doesn't allow for much 'plot development'. :no:

Another's lack of subtlety is more annoying than mysterious, though I like most scenes when it's just Misaki and the protagonist talking, and am still hopeful it'll pick up.

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou's first ep was hilarious, second ep was a step down, and third ep was dire - hoping the addition of new characters will save it.

Inu x Boku SS... can just keep going as it is. Nothing amazing, but with less flaws than the above. I'm impressed to see a Tsundere character actually trying to do something about her personality, instead of acting as if it's perfectly acceptable.

Mehretsu Pirates is meh at this early stage, pretty animation at least. Hopefully it'll be great once stuff actually starts to happen... assuming I'm not bored to death by that point.

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! Guilty pleasure, weirdest pacing EVER, yet strangely watchable. Probably has the best ED of the season too, and the cutest character.

Rinne no Lagrange. Best OP of the season (forget what I said earlier, it beats Symphogear's), likable if slightly generic protagonist... needs to develop the plot and other characters before I can really rate it, though.

Symphogear still entertains me the most, but not always for the right reasons. The battle animation is nice, but outside of battles it's pretty lame.
Reply 2713
Just noticed something in nisenmonogatari... Arrarararagi rides a girls bike!:zomg:
The Magic Knight Rayearth TV series is... quite different from the OVA. A lot more chibi for starters. :p:
Another is becoming like Final Destination :eek:

But it's seriously getting better and better.
Reply 2716
Watched Mardock Scamble: The first Compression.. Thought it was very good. Interesting plot, brilliantly animated...however it didnt really hold back at times.:erm: Some parts made for very uncomfortable viewing...some of the more graphic scenes... but most of all ...that weird boob monster person thing!:zomg:

Also watched the first part of break blade which was good although that main character was a bit predictable.:tongue: What I particularly though was how these great big mechanical/magic machines moved around so clunkily and really move and sound like great big mechanical machines.:giggle:
Reply 2717
I watched the first Ghost in the Shell movie again tonight. It's still satisfyingly good.

Original post by vin
Also watched the first part of break blade which was good although that main character was a bit predictable.:tongue: What I particularly though was how these great big mechanical/magic machines moved around so clunkily and really move and sound like great big mechanical machines.:giggle:

Overall I wasn't that impressed with Break Blade, but I absolutely agree about the good work on the mecha. They really nailed big, cumbersome, stompy low-magitech.
Reply 2718
400 Anime watched:woo:

damn that battle in last exile 13 was pretty :beard: those guys using rockets to take off from the ground was a nice touch:teeth:
(edited 12 years ago)
finished Ben-to, an epicly delicious show :yes: shame they didnt show how the fight ended :s-smilie: those ben-tos omg :sogood: especially that last one :drool: hungry now :frown:

latest ep of papa no whatever was so cute :mmm: :h:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest