The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by james20207
Yeah, that seems right I had to guess as I was running out of time!

I think you could get a mark for hypertension or diabetes.
Original post by james20207
Oh okay, but do you think will they accept sugar for mellitus?

You've specified diabetes, so yeah I think so. c:
So are you people 100% we're allowed to discuss this exam because I already have ten warning points D;
I put collecting ducts then crossed it out and put capillary :-( anyone know what it was?
Reply 1344
Original post by Chris P Chicken.
So are you people 100% we're allowed to discuss this exam because I already have ten warning points D;

10 WARNING POINTS FOR EXAM DISCUSSION - Please read before posting
Edexcel, CIE, STEP and IB exams are taken across the world. This means that people in one country might have finished an exam that hasn't even started somewhere Edexcel, CIE, STEP and IB exams are taken across the world. This means that people in one country might have finished an exam that hasn't even started somewhere else. In order to make the exams as fair as possible (and to discourage cheating), we'll close any threads on Edexcel, CIE, STEP and IB exams until sufficient time has passed.

This means no discussion AT ALL - not even "I found it hard/easy" or "I dropped my pencil". The line between
"I found it hard" and
"I found question 2 hard" and
"I found question 2 about <insert subject> hard"

is very blurred. What starts as innocent discussion can turn into disclosures of exam content. We're therefore operating a zero tolerance policy on discussing exams:
For Edexcel: morning exams may not be discussed until 12:00 midnight (BST) and afternoon exams until 4:30 AM (BST).
For STEP/CIE/IB: allow 24 hours to pass from the end of each exam before any discussion.
Oral exams: Not applicable for the January exam session.
Exams from the examination boards AQA, OCR, CCEA and WJEC (other than orals) are fine to talk about straight after the exams because these boards are UK based only.
Applied ICT exams: No discussion is permitted throughout the five day window for each exam.

Anyone breaking this rule on TSR will receive a 10 point warning and may be banned from the site.

PLEASE NOTE: this rule applies to Private Messages (PM) as well as posts in threads. Anyone found to be discussing Edexcel, CIE, STEP, IB or oral exams via PM before sufficient time has passed will also receive a warning.

Also note:
Once the time restriction has been lifted, discussion of IB exams should take place in the IB forum and discussion of Scottish exams (for which there is no time restriction) should take place in the Scottish qualifications forum.

All other exam discussion should take place in the subject's exam sub-forum. If there is no sub-forum for your subject then use the top-level discipline forum (e.g., Arts and Humanities) instead. Please search the forum to first to see if a thread already exists before creating a new one. Thread titles should be as descriptive as possible, stating the level (e.g. GCSE), subject, module, specification (where appropriate), exam board and date of the exam.
Original post by Doughnut
The collecting duct is located in the cortex too, have a look in your textbook. The cellular structure is the exact same as the one we were asked to label earlier. Although I do hope you're correct as I wrote convoluted tubule!

Yeah, but the position of the cell makes it more likely to be the PCT. At least that's what I hope since it's what I put as well
Original post by sumsum123
That was a good paper!! I was so happy when a comparison between cyclic n non cyclic popped up!! I predicted da earlier ahah. But da question of type 2 diabetes mellitus compared to da oda diabetes. I thought it was da diet but my friend said it is da fact that the male is 55!

I put about the diet but then I also put that it occurs with increasing age and he was 55, will I still get the mark even though I put both? It didn't specify to only mention one?
Original post by im so fresh
oh i see.
then ye that test was an alright paper.
did anyone else get loop of henle in the micrograph picture as A?
and the bowmans capsule as B?

No it was the cortex therefore couldnt be the loop of henle - it was the PCT i think, and Bowmans capsule or Bowmans space
Right then: DISCUSSION MODE ON!

I hated that glass beads question but apart from that it was a really easy paper!
The glass beads were used for controlling the WEIGHT/MASS of the two specimens.
If you got that the next question was really easy...sadly I didn't and got told this after the teacher.
oh i see.
then ye that test was an alright paper.
did anyone else get loop of henle in the micrograph picture as A?
and the bowmans capsule as B?

i put PCT, i asked my teacher after the exam and they said it could also be the DCT. they said as the glomerulus is in the cortex, it must be PCT or DCT, not loop of henle as it's in the medulla
Original post by cheesebase
No it was the cortex therefore couldnt be the loop of henle - it was the PCT i think, and Bowmans capsule or Bowmans space

loop of henle(opening) is in the cortex
loop of henle is in both the cortex and medulla....

Yes, but the majority of it is in the Medulla, and since it specified cortex it wanted an answer that was unambiguously in the cortex - i.e. the PCT or DCT
Original post by inspiration109
i put PCT, i asked my teacher after the exam and they said it could also be the DCT. they said as the glomerulus is in the cortex, it must be PCT or DCT, not loop of henle as it's in the medulla

oh. fair enough then :/
ah well, nothing we can do about it now D:
I tried!
For the question about the man with diabetes, how was it like type 2 diabetes?
Reply 1355
The picture thingy was PCT and Bowman's capsule.

I put some rubbish about volume in the bead question. That was the hardest part of the exam. Was fairly doable exam paper though. I wouldn't say it was easier than any past paper though =(
ah well, nothing we can do about it now D:
I tried!

sure, it was only one mark, not the end of the world!
Reply 1357
Original post by Natha_Lite
Yeah, but the position of the cell makes it more likely to be the PCT. At least that's what I hope since it's what I put as well

Well I hope you're right! I've had a look at a couple more microscopy images and I think you are actually. Do you reckon they'll mind that I just put 'convoluted tubule'? I couldn't see how they'd expect us to know if it was the DCT or PCT.
anyone knows whether non-cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation both involve ETC or is it just non cyclic?
The last page - fill in the gaps....the answer i rekon they wanted is thershold potential, but that is biologically inaccurate no? since a stimulus is not a potential, its a stimulus e.g. volatile chemicals, so surly the correct answer should be threshold strength or something like that, i rekon mark scheme will be threshold potential though... thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending