The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Fairly average paper as I've learnt from Jan 2011 no such thing as a easy paper the mark scheme always seems to bite you in the ass at times. Just out of curiosity what did everyone put for the soaked seeds having a higher rate of respiration? That question had me stumped
Original post by Obfuscator
For the question about the man with diabetes, how was it like type 2 diabetes?

as he needed insulin shots
Original post by srutututu
anyone knows whether non-cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation both involve ETC or is it just non cyclic?

It went
B
B
N
N
C
Original post by srutututu
anyone knows whether non-cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation both involve ETC or is it just non cyclic?

its just non cyclic
Original post by atman7
Fairly average paper as I've learnt from Jan 2011 no such thing as a easy paper the mark scheme always seems to bite you in the ass at times. Just out of curiosity what did everyone put for the soaked seeds having a higher rate of respiration? That question had me stumped

they were germinating therefore needed more energy therefore more respiration needed than in the dormant dry seeds
Reply 1365
Original post by im so fresh
as he needed insulin shots

Insulin shots is type 1. Diet is type 2
Original post by cheesebase
It went
B
B
N
N
C

eeerm i dont remember how the question went? do you have any idea ?
Reply 1367
Original post by Leeshur
Diabetes is correct as well.

Glycosuria or glucosuria is the excretion of glucose into the urine. Ordinarily, urine contains no glucose because the kidneys are able to reclaim all of the filtered glucose back into the bloodstream. Glycosuria is nearly always caused by elevated blood glucose levels, most commonly due to untreated diabetes mellitus.

Then surely the answer is kidney failure. Hypertension, diabetes melitus and infection are causes, but it asked for the condition did it not?
Original post by atman7

i put dry=shrivelled therefore less Surface area therefore less gaseous exchange
Original post by im so fresh
its just non cyclic

****tte okaay thanks :-)
Reply 1370
Original post by cheesebase
It went
B
B
N
N
C

I'm pretty sure it was BNNNC :tongue:
Original post by Natha_Lite
Yeah, but the position of the cell makes it more likely to be the PCT. At least that's what I hope since it's what I put as well

Looks like the PCT from this picture, so your probably right.

Well done. :biggrin:

Sadly I wasn't smart enough to get this. :frown:
Reply 1372
Original post by Iepnauy

Age as well for type 2.
Reply 1373
What did people you guys put for the question which asked....Why does do the soaked seeds have a higher rate of respiration than the dry pea seeds???

My mind started thinking about chemistry tomorrow, and so I said that the water molecules in the soaked seeds could dissociate therefore releasing hydrogen atoms and oxygen atoms. The hydrogen atoms can be used in chemiosmosis and the oxygen atoms can be used as the final electron acceptor therefore the rate of the oxidative phosphorylation increases and overall rate of respiration increases.

I just made a complete random guess which sounded fairly logical...though some of my classmates said that the soaked seeds were germinating and the dry seeds were dormant and so therefore the soaked seeds needed more ATP for mitosis and so the rate of respiration was higher. Though i dont remember the question stating that one was dormant and the other was germinating.

So yeah...what did people put???? Think I may have lost marks there if the mark scheme states that you have to be specific.
Reply 1374
i put the glass beads was there to make sure no other factor was limiting the rate of oxygen uptake :frown:
Original post by Doughnut
Age as well for type 2.

you could also say that it was diagnosed later on in life right?

edit: can't believe I actually asked this question , ohh well
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Iepnauy

i meant, the diet didnt affect him therefore its similar to type 1
composition of blood for a person with kidney failure? i said less protein larger than 68000 RMM in blood so less hameoglobin for oxygen and less glucose as no selective reabsorption in PCT
(edited 12 years ago)
I got (in descending order): (B) C N B N C ?
Original post by atman7

I put that water is a medium for the reactions that happen during respiration, therefore more water increases the rate of respiration. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest