The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

That question where people are arguing about whether it was hyperglycaemia or diabetes...I have one think to say: I've never seen them use words in one part of the paper when it is the answer to another question...

Pretty sure its not diabetes mellitus.
Reply 1681
Original post by Chris P Chicken.
That question where people are arguing about whether it was hyperglycaemia or diabetes...I have one think to say: I've never seen them use words in one part of the paper when it is the answer to another question...

They didn't mention 'Mellitus' though just diabetes generically.
Reply 1682
Original post by smart345
Best guess at grade bounds?

I'd say it'd be standard - probably 42 for an A, 36 for a B and so on... It was a very unusual paper though! Glass beads literally had me looking like o_0 wut?
Reply 1683

However, irrespective of previous trends and hypothetical thinking. The question posed was due 'to increased amount of glucose in ones urine', henceforth it would be pedantic to rule out diabetes as we can conclusively decipher that such symptom is indeed prevalent in diabetes.

Even dating back to the pre-historical methods utilised by our predecessors, we can depict that throught their potent 'urine taste' test, they were able to conclude merely by the sweet taste of urine, that a patient was diabetic. If such symptons were acknowledged during such periods of our history, it would be a monumental mistake to rule out diabetes being one of the causes of excess glucose's presence.

:smile:

Is this the glucose in urine? Its most common cause is diabetes mellitus.

Pretty sure the mark will be for "diabetes mellitus" and not "diabetes" as you can have diabetes insipidus as well but that's to do with osmoregulation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by StrawberryKoi
:rofl: I personally think they grab the specification, close their eyes and pick4 or 5 of the learning objectives and loosely base the whole paper around those.

Lol, they probably have a dart board with the specification attached. :tongue:
Reply 1686
really annoyed that there wasn't a question where I could just spurt out all of glycolysis, link reaction and krebs cycle - although a question like that had appeared before but it would've been nice..

Was it just me or did anyone else notice a spelling mistake on the last page? Think they wrote singly instead of singularly, unless I'm being a complete div and singly is a word and in the right context..
Lol, they probably have a dart board with the specification attached. :tongue:

I finally realised why theres a random p in your name :eek: just beginning to realise how knackered I was last night
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Is this the glucose in urine? Its most common cause is diabetes mellitus.

Pretty sure the mark will be for "diabetes mellitus" and not "diabetes" as you can have diabetes insipidus as well but that's to do with osmoregulation.

Personally I don't think it will be, but we'll see when the mark scheme comes.
Original post by marcella
really annoyed that there wasn't a question where I could just spurt out all of glycolysis, link reaction and krebs cycle - although a question like that had appeared before but it would've been nice..

Was it just me or did anyone else notice a spelling mistake on the last page? Think they wrote singly instead of singularly, unless I'm being a complete div and singly is a word and in the right context..

'Singly' ?! When did that crop up? :zomg:

What context was it?
Original post by im so fresh
what did you get as the name of the condition where glucose was present in the urine.
i put kidney damage??/

its kidney failure
Original post by StrawberryKoi
I finally realised why theres a random p in your name :eek: just beginning to realise how knackered I was last night

It takes some people a while to figure it out. :wink:
Personally I don't think it will be, but we'll see when the mark scheme comes.

To be fair, in the June 2011 paper there was a question about glucocorticoids and you had to say "adrenal cortex" to get one mark ( adrenal gland wasn't specific enough).

There were questions about diabetes on the page, so I think they'll be mean and specify diabetes mellitus. It is in the book, after all.
Original post by srutututu
anyone knows whether non-cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation both involve ETC or is it just non cyclic?

its just non cyclic
Original post by TattyBoJangles
To be fair, in the June 2011 paper there was a question about glucocorticoids and you had to say "adrenal cortex" to get one mark ( adrenal gland wasn't specific enough).

There were questions about diabetes on the page, so I think they'll be mean and specify diabetes mellitus. It is in the book, after all.

Wonder if they'd allow 'Type II diabetes'

:holmes:

Probably not because it lacks 'mellitus...'

:mad:
I put that water is a medium for the reactions that happen during respiration, therefore more water increases the rate of respiration. :s-smilie:

I thought it was a medium diffult paper, but everyone found it really easy!

I made so many stupid mistakes, that normally would be fine due to low grade boundaries, but it looks as if grade boundaries are really high this time!

Which bloody sucks :frown:

How did you find it?
Reply 1696
Original post by fuze-mo25
its just non cyclic

Both.
Original post by cheesebase
It went
B
B
N
N
C

I put that too! :smile:
Original post by im so fresh
as he needed insulin shots

not really if you check your bio book page 27 in the treatments paragraph it shows that both get shots ... I think it had more to do with the guys age or that diet didn't affect his diabetes
Reply 1699
Original post by fuze-mo25
its just non cyclic

it isn't because cyclic involves 2e- being passed to an electron carrier and back to PSI. That's a chain of electron transport, if there was no chain of electron transport, ATP wouldn't be produced

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending