The Student Room Group

Probabilities & Statistics 1 - OCR (not MEI) - jan 25th 2012 discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jedicake
I got the same for all of these. (48/3024 simplifies down to 1/63 - an easier way to do this was just 2/9C4.)

Calculating the Spearman's rank was 1/2. And I think the height of the bar on the histogram was 2/3cm?

for the histograms bit i got 2 for FD and then 1/3 not 2/3

it was something like 2/6 so simplifies down to 1/3

For the one about flowers, was it just (8C7x0.5to8) + (8C8x0.5tothe8) ?

Did u really get 0.412 as well for the being more red flowers? how did you do that one?
Original post by Ree69
Yup, well 0.416 I think.

P(more red flowers than blue) = P(X11)2=12(1P(X=11))=12(1(22C11×0.522))=0.416 \frac{P(X\neq 11)}{2} = \frac{1}{2} (1 - P(X=11)) = \frac{1}{2} (1 -(^{22}\mathrm{C}_{11} \times 0.5^{22})) = 0.416

Although I'm not sure if I can remember a 5/14. Something out of 14 does seem familiar. I may have written the decimal equivalent :s-smilie:.

Oh yeah. 0.357 is familiar. I got it as the answer to the first part of the last question.

Beautiful! for the flowers i even did all 11 ways or so just to check and added them up, it was right!

the one for being more than 3 odds was 5/14 i think, but dont hold me to that. it was definately one of questions 8 or 9.
Reply 22
Original post by MoneyOverEverythin
Beautiful! for the flowers i even did all 11 ways or so just to check and added them up, it was right!

the one for being more than 3 odds was 5/14 i think, but dont hold me to that. it was definately one of questions 8 or 9.

Yeah, that was it - I got 0.357 for the question where they asked the probability of at least 3 of the balls being odd. I think the question was 9bi. (Or 9 ii a :s-smilie:)
Original post by Ree69
Yeah, that was it - I got 0.357 for the question where they asked the probability of at least 3 of the balls being odd. 9bi) I think the question was. (Or 9 ii a :s-smilie:)

yeah there was 4 parts to 9.

ai: how many ways 9P4 or 9x8x7x6 = 3024
aii: how many of these are odd ... 1680

bi: picking 3 or more odds: 5/14 i think but i remember being pretty certain on whatever answer i did get.

bii: adds up to 28.. 2 ways so 1/63
Reply 24
I got the same for all of these. (48/3024 simplifies down to 1/63 - an easier way to do this was just 2/9C4.)

Calculating the Spearman's rank was 1/2. And I think the height of the bar on the histogram was 2/3cm?

I also got 2/3cm too.

For the question where you had the 9 numbered discs, what did people get?
I got 4! for the first part because it said in the question Andrea picks 4 discs and puts them down in a random order. So I thought it was how many arrangements can you be made from the 4 that Andrea picked and not how many different combinations of 4 she could pick...

However, everyone else I've talked to did something like 9C4 instead so I'm thinking I'm probably wrong and got confused reading the question.. :confused:
Reply 25
yeah there was 4 parts to 9.

ai: how many ways 9P4 or 9x8x7x6 = 3024
aii: how many of these are odd ... 1680

bi: picking 3 or more odds: 5/14 i think but i remember being pretty certain on whatever answer i did get.

bii: adds up to 28.. 2 ways so 1/63

Oh damn, I think I got ai and aii wrong. 5 marks dropped. I wrote the answer as 4! (twice... I should've looked again - I knew something was iffy with that).

Ah well.
How did everyone find it? I somehow got 3 ways for the last question (idiot) and for the binomial graph one I forgot toy writ down the second reason for which binomial graph (again idiot), I'm hoping between 68-70/72 and praying that (like last June) 100ums is around 68, gosh I'd be so happy :biggrin:
Anyone else notice the mistake. For the question where you had to say which graph was the geometric distribution there was a value for 0 which is not possible. Although it wouldn't have prevented anyone from getting that question right they may have then got the next one wrong as they may have thought that it returns the number of failures rather than the number of trials upto and including the success.

I think I got 100 UMS just not sure whether it was 100% or not. Might have made a silly mistake somewhere.
Was it 2/3?? or 1/3 wasnt the width of class boundary 6 so 2/6 = 1/3?
Reply 29
Original post by ben1994
For the question where you had to match the Geo and Bio distributions to the graphs did anyone get V and Y respectively?

can you explain why Geo has the graph of V.
Reply 30

You forgot the scale of the graph (2cm/unit).
Reply 31
For the flowers one I just used the calculator,

Binomial C.D

where x = 10
Numtrial = 22
P = 0.5

and got 0.4159 or 4.16. Is that like, cheating? :confused:

Also was the geo graph, V, the one that went down each time ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32

each square/unit = 2cm
and the fequency desity= 1/3
so for the heigh = fequ.density x units/squares = 1/3 x 2 = 2/3 cm
Reply 33
Original post by Tukazoar
For the flowers one I just used the calculator,

Binomial C.D

where x = 10
Numtrial = 22
P = 0.5

and got 0.4159 or 4.16. Is that like, cheating? :confused:

where did it say in the qu. that n = 10? nd wat do u mean by C.D
i completely failed the very last question...i had no idea, i expected there to be loads of ways to make 28, turns out there was only 2
You forgot the scale of the graph (2cm/unit).

ahh ofcourse! it said it wanted it in cm so i just ended up putting 1/3, damn.
Reply 36
Original post by c_subs
where did it say in the qu. that n = 10? nd wat do u mean by C.D

x = 10, is the same as x is = or < than 10 on the calculator, which is the same as x < 11, which is what the question asked.
Reply 37

what formula did you use...i can't remember
also what did u guys get for caclulating the regression line around the middle. i got summit like y= 0.7...x + 78...

i think my answer was fairly wrong though :/
Reply 39
Original post by HypErTwisT
also what did u guys get for caclulating the regression line around the middle. i got summit like y= 0.7...x + 78...

i think my answer was fairly wrong though :/

I got something like y = -0.78x + 70 ... My memory is poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending