The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on how to write a covering letter?

It is stressing me out.

x
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm very glad you've had a better day. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and we're all still learning how to do it, right up to the day we retire.

Original post by *Sparkle*
DEFINITELY =D Enjoy your dinner!!

Thanks. :smile:

I tried to rep you carnation but it wouldn't let me. :redface:
Original post by affinity89
Thanks. :smile:

I tried to rep you carnation but it wouldn't let me. :redface:

That's ok, maybe you've done it before. Now my subscription's run out, I can't tell who's done it, which is a shame as I got a personal rep saying 'Because I love you'! It was like getting a valentine card!
Reply 903
Ofsted. Manic.

I have the most fantastically inactive and non-participatory 'sit-down-shut-up-read-this-and-answer-these-questions'-type lesson for one Y8 class in particular when Ofsted're gone.
Original post by Rainy
Ofsted. Manic.

I have the most fantastically inactive and non-participatory 'sit-down-shut-up-read-this-and-answer-these-questions'-type lesson for one Y8 class in particular when Ofsted're gone.

You're a quick learner!
Reply 905
Original post by Rainy
Ofsted. Manic.

Ahh I bet your dept are glad you're there, as it reduces their chances of being observed!
Reply 906
Original post by affinity89

Now I am going to get something to eat. Third day in a row that I've not eaten until after 5pm. I just don't seem to have the time. :/

Haha, my head and TA yesterday forced me to sit down and eat my lunch at the end of lunchtime, even though the kids were already back in. Put the kettle on, threw biscuits in my face and the TA went to take the register.

'You need your energy' was the message. Especially if the kids can't stay quiet, which to be honest is the exact same problem I'm having at the moment.

Egg timer helps, young children are fascinated by them (for some reason). My advice from experience, don't let any child get away with ANYTHING. It's like they wake up every morning with their tally charts with the title 'how many times I can get away with doing something naughty today'.

My confidence unfortunately delays my tongue when I see children misbehaving. In fact, I often just wait for my TA or other adult in the room to tell them off because I'm just no confident enough to deal with it myself.
Original post by jenren22
Haha, my head and TA yesterday forced me to sit down and eat my lunch at the end of lunchtime, even though the kids were already back in. Put the kettle on, threw biscuits in my face and the TA went to take the register.

'You need your energy' was the message. Especially if the kids can't stay quiet, which to be honest is the exact same problem I'm having at the moment.

Egg timer helps, young children are fascinated by them (for some reason). My advice from experience, don't let any child get away with ANYTHING. It's like they wake up every morning with their tally charts with the title 'how many times I can get away with doing something naughty today'.

My confidence unfortunately delays my tongue when I see children misbehaving. In fact, I often just wait for my TA or other adult in the room to tell them off because I'm just no confident enough to deal with it myself.

It will come, honestly. There comes a moment when you realise that yes, you DO have the right to tell them what to do, and that makes all the difference. I'm willing to bet that at the moment you don't feel enough of an authority figure to have that right, but once you believe it yourself, the kids sense there's a difference and react accordingly.
My year 11s have found me on Facebook. One of them is the sister of a girl I used to be mates with at school. 'missssss we can't see your Facebook pictures' GOOD.
Reply 909
Last day of placement tomorrow, so happy! Will miss the children but really can't wait to get away from my nightmare control freak teacher! Four whole months I've had to put up with her, I thought this day would never come!
My year 11s have found me on Facebook. One of them is the sister of a girl I used to be mates with at school. 'missssss we can't see your Facebook pictures' GOOD.

Oh god. Do they warn you about this at university these days? Seriously, ramp your settings up to the maximum privacy. There are all sorts of nasty things that could happen, so protect yourself. Seriously. We've had some most unpleasant cyberstalking events at school, with some really unpleasant photoshopping of staff into, shall we say, compromising situations. Be very careful. (Sorry - don't mean to sound alarmist.)
Regarding Facebook... A lot of my friends on PGCE courses have changed their surnames on there, usually to a middle name.

I am pretty private on Facebook anyway, but haven't bothered to change my name. Mainly because my name is one of the most common names in the country, so I am impossible to find with just a name search lol.
As a lifelong Luddite, I know nothing about FB but my Local Authority has sent out a warning to all staff that all privacy settings will be reset next week and everything you have ever posted will be made public (even if you think you have deleted it) when Timeline is implemented.

As you can tell, I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about but it has worried a number of staff.
Original post by Mr M
As a lifelong Luddite, I know nothing about FB but my Local Authority has sent out a warning to all staff that all privacy settings will be reset next week and everything you have ever posted will be made public (even if you think you have deleted it) when Timeline is implemented.

As you can tell, I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about but it has worried a number of staff.

The consequences can be really quite frightening. At the risk of sounding alarmist, I do think the danger needs to be made very clear to new young teachers, and I'm really glad someone's brought it up here. Not all kids are innocent young things and severe damage can be done to someone's career in the twinkling of an eye. Even something as innocent as a photo can be turned into something career-threatening if there's malice involved. It's a real shame, but we are told not to have our picture taken by or with any kids anymore. I miss my farewell photos with my year 11s and U6s, but it's just not worth it. (And I don't look as good on photos as I used to anyway...:frown:)
Our uni has made it pretty clear about social networking and how important your 'online presence' is.

They also said to do a name search every now and again just to make sure! It is pretty frightening, as I am lower primary I am more worried about the parents or perspective employers opinions than the children's! In fact, I may do one now and also check my Facebook privacy!
I've looked at my profile as someone who isn't my friend and it's just a picture of my face, some scenery. It's all good. Thankfully. I check it every week!
Found this link: http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=217973418231710 info for educators regarding Facebook and Privacy issues! Might be useful x
I'm constantly expecting to be outed on here...
Original post by balloon_parade
Found this link: http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=217973418231710 info for educators regarding Facebook and Privacy issues! Might be useful x

Kinda strange they're about using fb with the students.
Kinda strange they're about using fb with the students.

'Should I friend my teen?' Oscar Wilde was right when he said we have everything in common with the Americans except the language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending