The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Finally got an offer! Nottingham A* AA :smile:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by zxh800
Nice that's pretty good. Although, I'm sceptical about how much that will actually help your application. I don't think the sport and music extracurriculars will help very much at all if at all. But, I'll tell you what will help. Try participate in Economics based essay competitions and other Economics related activities. One of the guys I know who got into LSE for Economics won a competition, something about setting your own Budget for the government and explaining your decision to a panel of experts. That would certainly have worked in his favour no doubt.

Ok thanks. Its good to hear it from someone elses point of view. How do you enter the different competitions?
Original post by tooambitious
target 2.0?

2.0 is about inflation...
Reply 7783
target 2.0?

Can't be certain, but I wouldn't be surprised. My school was supposed to enter us into that but they were too late and missed the registration... so yea, I didn't get to find out much about the competition. But, if it fits the description then it's probably it.

Original post by bhogs001
Ok thanks. Its good to hear it from someone elses point of view. How do you enter the different competitions?

I'm afraid I can't help as I didn't enter any myself. Although, you could look into the Target 2.0 challenge. Maybe ask your Economics teacher to look into it? I think it requires a team of four. As for essay competitions, again I'm afraid I never entered any but I suppose Google would be the best place to start! Other than that, just general reading around your subject will help a great deal when writing your Personal Statement or for interview if you apply to Cambridge.

For Target 2.0 it's your actual school that has to sign up. You need a maximum of 4 members to present your decision you make a 15 minute presentation in a regional round, with a monetary decision at the end, then around 10 minutes of questions/grilling from the BofE experts.

Food is good. :yes:
Reply 7785
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
a*aaaaabbbb
aaad

So what are your a level subjects and predictions?
Original post by Melikeyflute
2.0 is about inflation...

sorry
Original post by vinchenzo25
Joined the Nottingham offer crew - A*AA though :P

well done! i will be very upset if i dont get an offer from nottingham...managed to faint on the economics admission tutor, was hoping that if anything that would make me stand out! :wink: was it for pure economics?
sorry

Haha it's okay. You're only an AS student
My team were nearly disqualified from Target 2.0. ....
Original post by jak67m
So what are your a level subjects and predictions?

A (Maths, Economics, ICT)
D (Technology) -dropped at AS
Took up AS Further Maths

We are not told our predicted grades :s-smilie:
Original post by WalkerPrince

Why, what did you do? :tongue:
Reply 7792
Original post by internetstephen
Just a heads up that Nottingham applicants can probably expect to find out over the next week or so. I was emailed with either an offer for econ and philsophy or econ with Chinese Studies if I wanted (I applied for L100) and the admissions tutor said decisions had been made and people would be finding out soon.

Did the tutor say that all offers for straight econ will be given out in the next couple of weeks?
Reply 7793
Seriously?! oh man.

LSE are notorious for their love of religious studies GCSE, you will be the first person in 150 years to receive an offer from them without meeting this prerequisite.

Original post by zxh800
Can't be certain, but I wouldn't be surprised. My school was supposed to enter us into that but they were too late and missed the registration... so yea, I didn't get to find out much about the competition. But, if it fits the description then it's probably it.

I'm afraid I can't help as I didn't enter any myself. Although, you could look into the Target 2.0 challenge. Maybe ask your Economics teacher to look into it? I think it requires a team of four. As for essay competitions, again I'm afraid I never entered any but I suppose Google would be the best place to start! Other than that, just general reading around your subject will help a great deal when writing your Personal Statement or for interview if you apply to Cambridge.

Be thankful, it's a lot of work!

how come? Did you get through to the next stage? Might see you in the final :wink:
Reply 7794
Original post by Tateco

Yes, I had my reservations and secretly hoped I wouldn't be picked! So, I certainly wasn't distraught over missing out on the competition lol.

Lol were the Bank of England that unimpressed by your imcompetence :colone:

lol i cant talk we went out in the first round :getmecoat:
Reply 7796
Original post by zxh800
Yes, I had my reservations and secretly hoped I wouldn't be picked! So, I certainly wasn't distraught over missing out on the competition lol.

I'm glad I did it because it's boosted my confidence with presentations but definitely underestimated the work!
Original post by Tateco
LSE are notorious for their love of religious studies GCSE, you will be the first person in 150 years to receive an offer from them without meeting this prerequisite.

how come? Did you get through to the next stage? Might see you in the final :wink:

Dont joke with me please. Is this the definite truth? Im an overseas student and i dont wish to be taken advantage of.
Reply 7798
Dont joke with me please. Is this the definite truth? Im an overseas student and i dont wish to be taken advantage of.

Oh come on now be serious...
So they dont care?! Also im from India so that counts as overseas.

Latest

Trending

Trending