The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Thu 26 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by SmithytheDrummer
Wait, doesn't each carbon in Benzene have 1 hydrogen attached? So each proton has two carbons each with a proton, so the splitting is a triplet?

im sure benzene would have only one singlet because all the protons are equivalent and equal protons don't split each other
Reply 761
Also Acid Hydrolysis,
H20 and HCL right ? :colondollar:
Original post by littlin
im sure benzene would have only one singlet because all the protons are equivalent and equal protons don't split each other

yes ! that explains it thanks !
Original post by ZTSR
Also Acid Hydrolysis,

Yep :smile:
Reply 764
Original post by ZTSR
Also Acid Hydrolysis,

any acid catalyst yes, and heat/reflux
I'm feeling terrified now :frown:
Got a feeling the mechanism for the bromination of cyclohexene may come up. Don't think i've seen it before in one of the new spec papers.
Reply 767
Original post by LifeIsGood
I'm feeling terrified now :frown:

its only 60 marks long, not as bad as F322 :smile:
Reply 768
Original post by Dreamweaver
Got a feeling the mechanism for the bromination of cyclohexene may come up. Don't think i've seen it before in one of the new spec papers.

Isn't that content in the previous unit?
Reply 769
i feel like im gona be sick again... damn you anxietyy!!!!
ocr, please be nice...
Reply 770

is that just Br-Br being polarised as it approaches a double bond (electron dense area), double bond breaks to form C-Br bond, Br-Br bond breaks heterolytically and the + charge left on the other carbon reacts with the negatively charged bromine thats left over?
In last years paper, they had to explain what was happening in the Mechanism and what the curly arrows meant.
Will we have to do the same?
Reply 772
Original post by Stevo F
is that just Br-Br being polarised as it approaches a double bond (electron dense area), double bond breaks to form C-Br bond, Br-Br bond breaks heterolytically and the + charge left on the other carbon reacts with the negatively charged bromine thats left over?

Yup

Reply 773
Original post by mmsalvatore
In last years paper, they had to explain what was happening in the Mechanism and what the curly arrows meant.
Will we have to do the same?

u have to know that curly arrows represent the movement of a lone pair of electrons
Reply 774
Original post by rogersnm
Yup

hehe nice picture to go with my description :biggrin:
Original post by rogersnm
Isn't that content in the previous unit?

Original post by Stevo F

Nope p14 of the textbook.

Spot on Stevo. Remember to show the curly arrow coming from a LP of electrons on the bromine to the carbo cation during the second stage.
Reply 776
btw be careful where you draw the curly arrows come from, theyre not allowed to come from a charge, have to come from a lone pair you've drawn or a bond
Do we have to know the monomers of Terylene, Kevlar and Nylon off by heart??
Reply 778
Nope p14 of the textbook.

Spot on Stevo. Remember to show the curly arrow coming from a LP of electrons on the bromine to the carbo cation during the second stage.

haha we said pretty much the same thing :smile:
Reply 779
Original post by LifeIsGood
Do we have to know the monomers of Terylene, Kevlar and Nylon off by heart??

dont think so and hope not cause i dont :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending