The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by Riku
Soapy, I'll give the survery a go :smile:

____

Oooh, sugar. Late-night binge.
Anybody who lies awake tossing and turning, what do you do to comfort yourself once the immediate distractions like a book and music have ran dry?

I find if I've been drinking I just want to eat ALL THE CHOCOLATE IN THE WORLD. Insatiably!

I suppose this is part-attribute to a bit of GOOD news; I am now up to 103lbs!!
(Official weigh-in was this morning). I am so, so close to seven and a half stones. Considering at my worst I was about a stone lighter, kidney failure, liver damage, I'd had a phantom heart attack... this is all good news. My only fear is that, once I finish "recovering" and have to go to a regular (non 2500-3000 kcal "recovery diet") I'll find it too difficult and continue to gain forever.

Of course I know that's just a fear all people in my scenario have.
Reply 2641
Original post by TotoMimo
I find if I've been drinking I just want to eat ALL THE CHOCOLATE IN THE WORLD. Insatiably!

I suppose this is part-attribute to a bit of GOOD news; I am now up to 103lbs!!
(Official weigh-in was this morning). I am so, so close to seven and a half stones. Considering at my worst I was about a stone lighter, kidney failure, liver damage, I'd had a phantom heart attack... this is all good news. My only fear is that, once I finish "recovering" and have to go to a regular (non 2500-3000 kcal "recovery diet") I'll find it too difficult and continue to gain forever.

Of course I know that's just a fear all people in my scenario have.

You see, even with my health anxiety I could jam with choco-cravings! Unfortunately my binges are currently completely random and mostly not my food to eat in the first place...
I think I'm a bad example of when the recovery diet goes wrong. Having said that, for you (and for me I guess) a "normal" eating plan (i.e. as you say not deliberate gain) will come with a more normalised lifestyle in general. So try not to overthink it, you're predicting your own worst-case scenario which is unlikely to happen. Even if it does for a while, so what? Whatever happens, you're still our Toto!
Anyways- :fives: to the healthy weight, my man!

On a side-note: Snowflake, wouldn't mind if you could teach me the basic principles of strumming so I learn how to take my frustrations out on the fretboard, rather than something less helpful like the kitchen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Riku
Soapy, I'll give the survery a go :smile:

Original post by Riku

On a side-note: Snowflake, wouldn't mind if you could teach me the basic principles of strumming so I learn how to take my frustrations out on the fretboard, rather than something less helpful like the kitchen.

depends what you want to do. In other news, jaffa cakes are genuinely crap, have no idea why I used to like them.
Reply 2644
Original post by .snowflake.
depends what you want to do. In other news, jaffa cakes are genuinely crap, have no idea why I used to like them.

I'll start with Beatles and Smoke on the Water, if I can get sounding like Synyster Gates by the end of the month then that'd be pretty cool too, but I doubt that's gonna happen :colondollar: much love for any advice you've got.
:eek: no love for the Jaffa? Admittedly I've gone off standard biccies and suchlike during recovery too. Although the Wagon Wheel is still :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm so frustrated I can cry.

Spoiler

Reply 2646
Original post by Anonymous
I'm so frustrated I can cry.

Spoiler

It's because gaining through plentiful eating and moderate exercise for fun is healthy and does you a world of good, whereas losing through eating barely anything and no exercise is very unhealthy and does yourself a whole lot of damage. And it's hard to believe this but they are probably right-this could be your set-point, especially if you're very active and therefore quite fit and healthy. Why would you want to change that? It's common for fitter people to be at the higher end of the BMI spectrum, but the lower the better is not quite how it works. The truth is the scale means nothing, it is how you feel, what you're letting yourself get out of life and who you are that matters.
I know it's not that simple, I wish it could be. Trust that it will be one day. I'm thinking of you and others in the same predicament anywho.
:hugs:
Had one of those 'Yep I don't have an eating disorder it was all a bad dream. I don't need to loose weight and if I put some on, that's fine too' moments and ordered a chinese take-away (after having a normal breakfast and large lunch). Nearly finished when I felt a huge wave of anxiety and panic and basically felt like my life was over. Trying to reassure myself now. :frown: It's horrible because these binge days end up doing more harm to me than good as I then can't bring myself to eat for days and end up feeling so ill. I wish I had support :frown:
Reply 2648
Had one of those 'Yep I don't have an eating disorder it was all a bad dream. I don't need to loose weight and if I put some on, that's fine too' moments and ordered a chinese take-away (after having a normal breakfast and large lunch). Nearly finished when I felt a huge wave of anxiety and panic and basically felt like my life was over. Trying to reassure myself now. :frown: It's horrible because these binge days end up doing more harm to me than good as I then can't bring myself to eat for days and end up feeling so ill. I wish I had support :frown:

Anon, ever heard of a normal person's "Friday night takeaway"? That's what you just had! Well done on becoming a normal person! If nothing else, take away from this that the scary stuff you're experiencing is NORMAL. XXX
Seems like most people here are dealing with anorexia nervosa.

Any bulimiacs out there on a successful path to recovery?
Guys, has anyone seen/ spoken to Custard! recently?
She kinda left this forum for a while, I saw her a few times on caloriescount, but I think she's trying to disengage herself from this entire mindframe.
Original post by Antiaris
She kinda left this forum for a while, I saw her a few times on caloriescount, but I think she's trying to disengage herself from this entire mindframe.

i don't blame her. I hope she's kicking ass like Moss.
Original post by Riku
It's because gaining through plentiful eating and moderate exercise for fun is healthy and does you a world of good, whereas losing through eating barely anything and no exercise is very unhealthy and does yourself a whole lot of damage. And it's hard to believe this but they are probably right-this could be your set-point, especially if you're very active and therefore quite fit and healthy. Why would you want to change that? It's common for fitter people to be at the higher end of the BMI spectrum, but the lower the better is not quite how it works. The truth is the scale means nothing, it is how you feel, what you're letting yourself get out of life and who you are that matters.
I know it's not that simple, I wish it could be. Trust that it will be one day. I'm thinking of you and others in the same predicament anywho.
:hugs:

If this is what my body is meant to be like, I don't want it any more. It's hideous. It's flabby and fat and disgusting. All it says to me is 'must work harder'.

You know what's odd? When I'm at uni, on my own, I can go days without eating. The second I'm around my family, I eat anything they put in front of me. I saw my mum today and she said that she doesn't want me to lose any more weight. Why can't I see what they see?
I FOLLOWED MY MEAL PLAN FOR A WHOLE WEEK WITHOUT PURGING...YAYYYYYY

its the first time ive not purged in 7 days for 2 years, I am soooo happy :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry I wanted to share that, ive had such a nightmare with purging after every little thing. I was so tired of it, it was running and ruining my life. Im still not eating enough, but baby steps to start lead to big leaps later :h:
I FOLLOWED MY MEAL PLAN FOR A WHOLE WEEK WITHOUT PURGING...YAYYYYYY

its the first time ive not purged in 7 days for 2 years, I am soooo happy :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry I wanted to share that, ive had such a nightmare with purging after every little thing. I was so tired of it, it was running and ruining my life. Im still not eating enough, but baby steps to start lead to big leaps later :h:

YAY!!
Reply 2656
If this is what my body is meant to be like, I don't want it any more. It's hideous. It's flabby and fat and disgusting. All it says to me is 'must work harder'.

You know what's odd? When I'm at uni, on my own, I can go days without eating. The second I'm around my family, I eat anything they put in front of me. I saw my mum today and she said that she doesn't want me to lose any more weight. Why can't I see what they see?

Alright, we're both in need of a Zen moment here as I've just been triggered to f**k by my dinner too.
Your body is only the vessel to carry your soul, your consciousness, however you want to look at it, through this world. What it is today is not what it was yesterday, nor what it will be tomorrow, nor in a year's time. The body is in constant flux and undergoing constant change just as is the presence inside that body-you. But we can't swap our bodies for another-we're given one at birth and it's ours to death. That makes it our responsibility to love it, protect it and nurture it as if it was our own child. But it also gives us the right to have enjoyment with it and make us, through it, do great and often powerful things.
Unfortunately us folk with EDs can become consumed by a need to attain perfection in our bodies that's simply impossible. It was made that way, because perfection is only relative after all. And as I've side to many people and frequently have to to myself; perfection is so boring! Who wants to be a divine robot? If we were perfect we'd be lacking all those little quirks, habits and idiosyncrasies that separate us from all the other Jack and Jills. We humans have a tendency to rail out other figures and personalities of people we admire, yet not even notice our own unique beauty.
x

Same, though not to the extreme of days at a time...more like minimal. However I find that this term I have so much less energy and sleep more than at home, but I ended up gaining like 4lb over just two weeks of Christmas, and that was with intense cardio 6 times a week :frown:
Guys, has anyone seen/ spoken to Custard! recently?

Original post by Antiaris

i don't blame her. I hope she's kicking ass like Moss.

Oh, I'm really touched!!! Thank you!
I still visit TSR but not really this thread - just from time to time (like now). I'm still IP, been at maintenance (BMI 19-20) since mid-October. Plan is to stay here 3 more months and then move to a residential rehab place nearer home until I start UNI :biggrin: in October.

I'm struggling quite a lot with my head - a lot of stuff has come up that I'm dealing with/trying to deal with. I've made a thread in this forum asking for advice if anyone has any, on managing flashbacks?

Lots of love xxxxx
What does your meal plan look like anonymous? Can't quote you which is annoying as I am really interested!

Quick Reply

Latest