The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7860
Manchester AAB and my GCSE's were terrible compared to most applicants. Tbh i don't think they look too much at GCSE grades, more so your personal statement and reference.
Original post by Feragon
I think Unis are devaluing the IB Diploma, my offers are all 38 points which is more than the offers A level students are getting in terms of their grades. Anyone else got that feeling?

Noone made you do the IB mate.
Original post by Feragon
I think Unis are devaluing the IB Diploma, my offers are all 38 points which is more than the offers A level students are getting in terms of their grades. Anyone else got that feeling?

:lol: Do not attempt to say this when you are overpowered by a majority of A level students. Also just because your offer is what you deem to be higher doesn't mean that said A level students won't exceed the offer. I know plenty of people with 40+ and even 45 on IB and they went to places where the requirement was significantly lower.

Let's not play the, which system is harder game.

Original post by jamiepango
I guess it works both ways... Teach me mandarin? :tongue:

And also a bit late but 新年快樂!

I guess so :daydreaming:

gong meye a (jiang she me a?) erm okay! Are you on gap year? I seem to vaguely remember asking you (was it you?) about the AS Level.

Thanks :smile: 春节祝福 you and your silly complicated characters :rolleyes: But it's okay, I still recognize.
Reply 7863
Original post by Feragon

Oh right, are you doing 3-4 a levels alongside your IB then? Because that is the only fair way you can judge which is harder, right?
Original post by Brand New Eyes

I guess so :daydreaming:

gong meye a (jiang she me a?) erm okay! Are you on gap year? I seem to vaguely remember asking you (was it you?) about the AS Level.

Thanks :smile: 春节祝福 you and your silly complicated characters :rolleyes: But it's okay, I still recognize.

Ha just kidding, it'll be too impractical. I'll just stick to youtube videos...

No I'm not on a gap year; but you probably asked me about it ages ago. I finished the A2 last year and somehow scraped an A after a remark :colondollar:

You and your silly simplified characters :mmm:
Reply 7865
What Order would all of you put these Unis in for Economics and Finance?

York, Surrey, Loughbrough, City, Leicester.
Ha just kidding, it'll be too impractical. I'll just stick to youtube videos...

No I'm not on a gap year; but you probably asked me about it ages ago. I finished the A2 last year and somehow scraped an A after a remark :colondollar:

You and your silly simplified characters :mmm:

Impractical you say? :ninja: not with my skillz

Oh! that would make sense, yay for remarks! hmmm the opportunity cost was too high for me so I settled for my 79 :cry2:

Simplified = Practical
Traditional = looks like a pattern

Where did you apply then :h: and for erm straight econ?
Reply 7867
Original post by thamerz

York, City, Leicester, Surrey, Loughborough
Impractical you say? :ninja: not with my skillz

Oh! that would make sense, yay for remarks! hmmm the opportunity cost was too high for me so I settled for my 79 :cry2:

Simplified = Practical
Traditional = looks like a pattern

Where did you apply then :h: and for erm straight econ?

I don't doubt your skills, I doubt mine...

Noo you should have gone for the remark! Just 1 mark :eek:

Hmm I don't even know how to defend traditional anymore :getmecoat:

Straight economics at LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bath et Bristol. How about you?
Reply 7869
Original post by nightmare91

Original post by nightmare91
I am so jealous of you guys, we don't have things like "Economist of the year" here in Germany. We have no competitions related to economics whatsoever :frown: I'd love to participate in such contests.

Enter ours then, I'm sure they accept international entries, people from Hong Kong enter all the time.
Original post by thamerz

Not an expert on Economics and Finance, but I would say York is your best bet overall :smile:
Reply 7871
Original post by Tateco
Oh right, are you doing 3-4 a levels alongside your IB then? Because that is the only fair way you can judge which is harder, right?

Look at the UCAS Tarrif points, and tell me if the equivalence for 38 points is what everyone doing A levels are getting. Also, most of my teachers have taught A levels and say it is harder. what I am saying isn't even about which is hardest I am just saying unis don't seem to get that 38 points is quite difficult and is not equivalent to the offers A level students are getting.

:lol: Do not attempt to say this when you are overpowered by a majority of A level students. Also just because your offer is what you deem to be higher doesn't mean that said A level students won't exceed the offer. I know plenty of people with 40+ and even 45 on IB and they went to places where the requirement was significantly lower.

Let's not play the, which system is harder game.

I am not talking about meeting or exceeding requirements, I have a 42 predicted and am sure that I will get 40 - 42 points. What I mean is that the unis are not making their equivalences/ratios correctly; i.e. for you to get A*AA is not the same as getting 38, especially when they also ask for 6,6,6 at HL.

I am not trying to play the which one is harder.

Original post by Spawn of Descartes
Noone made you do the IB mate.

Not really, but in Portugal no school offers the A levels its either IB diploma or portuguese system. In my case I got a scholarship to a private school that offers the IB, it was either that or state school, guess which one is better.
Reply 7872
I don't doubt your skills, I doubt mine...

Noo you should have gone for the remark! Just 1 mark :eek:

Hmm I don't even know how to defend traditional anymore :getmecoat:

Straight economics at LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bath et Bristol. How about you?

wow you applied to the same schools as me, and for the same courses haha.

you from hong kong?
Original post by lordvulture
add oil :smile:

I understood. :h:
Reply 7874
Original post by Feragon

Original post by Feragon

I am also an IB student (and Portuguese), couldn't agree more with you, i have a feeling that unis don't value the IB especially because we don't have GCSE grades. But whatever, we got to live with it. Where did you apply by the way? Any offers
Original post by Irenicis
wow you applied to the same schools as me, and for the same courses haha.

you from hong kong?

Snap :tongue:

No I was born here in the UK :biggrin: How about you?
Reply 7876
Snap :tongue:

No I was born here in the UK :biggrin: How about you?

haha my bad, but i tot i saw a HK flag beside your join date :P

i'm from Singapore :smile:
Reply 7877
Feragon

You should see the entry requirements and how the papers look like at the Romanian Baccalaureate before complaining that universities don't value IB.
Original post by Irenicis
haha my bad, but i tot i saw a HK flag beside your join date :P

i'm from Singapore :smile:

Parents are from HK :tongue:

Oh nice, have you got any offers yet?
Reply 7879
Parents are from HK :tongue:

Oh nice, have you got any offers yet?

Bristol, Warwick and Bath offered unconditional...still waiting for UCL and LSE =/

yup.

Latest

Trending

Trending