The Student Room Group

Feel sick every time someone says they like me

I'm a girl and 19

For the whole of my life, even since primary school, any time a guy has said they liked me or showed that they were interested in me I would freak out and stop talking to them and have this really sick feeling in my stomach as if I'm about to throw up. Its not a feeling I can help at all, I just don't know what to do so instead I run away. It's safe to say I've never done anything with a guy yet as any time it gets anywhere close I cut him out and it's happened on many occasions. Is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
of course it's not normal!

perhaps you should see someone.
Sounds like you've got a huge anxiety about this and the more you worry and put pressure on yourself the more this is going to happen. Have you ever liked any of these guys back? Cutting people out if they like you really isn't the answer though! Why do you think your first instinct is to cut them out?
Reply 3
Original post by Jellybean91
Sounds like you've got a huge anxiety about this and the more you worry and put pressure on yourself the more this is going to happen. Have you ever liked any of these guys back? Cutting people out if they like you really isn't the answer though! Why do you think your first instinct is to cut them out?

I really don't know and I wish I could stop it :frown: Honestly, most of the time I'm not really attracted to the guys back though so it could be a reason. I just get scared and don't know how to handle the situation, all I want is for them to stop talking to me but it still doesn't explain the weird sickly feeling I get anytime I find out someone likes me. I'm starting to think it's because I'm insecure and worried of what they'll think of me? :frown: I really have no problem talking to guys as friends before hand though so it's not anxiety from guys in general...
I'm just curious...

Have you ever been the one to make the first move. (Eg. Tell a guy that you like them/ ask them if they want to (go out with you) do an activity with you that you enjoy /go for a walk and get to know each other a bit better)

And do you think it would help you if you were the one to make the first move?
Reply 5
That's pretty strange.

Not anything serious to be worried about yet, loads of strange things happens to us teens at this age, but if it continues when your in your late twenties and you instantly feel like vomitting whenever a guy admits he likes you, you are either not cut-out/interested in a relationship, have been asked out by some of the ugliest guys in existence, or need some medical help in discerning your condition/problem.
I'm kind of the same. Not that guys often ask me out, but first time it happened I was nauseous for a few days and with my current boyfriend didn't eat for a week... Poor guy didn't know what he'd done to me :redface:
Reply 7
I felt like that after I broke up with my first boyfriend the second time round, and the kind of rebounded on another guy, and then he dropped me, it was like double whammey boom heart broken. And after that about 4 guys started speaking to me loads and 2/3 started to say they liked me, and it was so so so scary! I didn't want to be in that situation ever again. But gradually I got used to it, needless to say, not been in a relationship since, but hopefully things will get better when I go to uni :smile:
Have you had any experiences in the past where a relationship has seemed like the worst ever thing to you? Either something indirect to you, or with your parents, or anyone you know? You have to think about it, and try and delete those thoughts from you, cognitive behavioural therapy might work, or psychodynamic. You could try speaking to your local health person, and see if they have any support to offer you.
Hey soulmate!

I'm also a 19 year old girl, and the prospect of dating also scares the life out of me. There are times when I think I'd like a relationship, but when then a boy starts being interested I get freaked out and avoid them. It's probably not normal, but hey at least you're not the only ones, and I guess it's better than being completely obsessed with the opposite sex and needing a relationship in order to feel validated.
Sounds like you've got an overly sensitive psychohapanic reflex. It can actually have its advantages.
I used to feel like that but then it went away because when you're with someone who you are happy to be around you have no reason to feel sick. I think you need to relax a lil
I used to feel like that all the time when I was younger, weird and nauseated...

I think it's just anxiety, you said you're fine around guy friends, so I guess it's just a barrier really. Proably because you don't know how to act around them, knowing that they feel differently about you? Or maybe it's just a defence against being hurt by them?

Either way just try to be your self (I know, easier said then done, right?)and be flattered at the attention, i'm sure you'll meet someone and it'll just feel right.
"love sick".

Actually a lot of the side effects for when you first start realising that you're falling for someone are quite unpleasant.
Reply 13
Original post by anonymous
i'm a girl and 19

for the whole of my life, even since primary school, any time a guy has said they liked me or showed that they were interested in me i would freak out and stop talking to them and have this really sick feeling in my stomach as if i'm about to throw up. Its not a feeling i can help at all, i just don't know what to do so instead i run away. It's safe to say i've never done anything with a guy yet as any time it gets anywhere close i cut him out and it's happened on many occasions. Is this normal?

i like you!
Reply 14
Original post by HP15
i like you!

:rofl:
Reply 15
Original post by LoveTheMilkyWay
I'm just curious...

Have you ever been the one to make the first move. (Eg. Tell a guy that you like them/ ask them if they want to (go out with you) do an activity with you that you enjoy /go for a walk and get to know each other a bit better)

And do you think it would help you if you were the one to make the first move?

You got me thinking and just realised I have never ever made the first move! I'm too scared and sometimes the guys I end up liking are the really popular/good looking guys who can have any girl they want and very likely not me... It probably would help if I made the first move but would only really consider it if we were really close and I reeeally liked him...
i have the exact same and right now im trying to push myself past it because i9 like the lad im talking to its horrible i hate it
i have the same someone help me
Reply 18
YUM YUM I LIKE YOUR BUM

I experience the same thing and i hate it so much. Like whenever someone likes me, i start freaking out and having this sick depressing feeling and I just want to ignore that person. I have no idea why though. I mean I want to have a boyfriend and get married and have kids, its just whenever I find out someone likes me I get REALLY anxious. Im a 16 year old girl and this has been happening since maybe middle school. Im in 11th grade currently and I have had multiple guys wanting to talk to me these past years but i just get so freaked out. I dont know , it might have something to do with anxiety, which is something ive been thibking i have latelty. I have taken done a lot of research on it and i have a good amount of signs or anxiety and social anxiety. Maybe this is somethig that comes from that. I just really want it to go away because i dont want to be single my whole life, and this is the time where i should start dating but i cant, its like something is holding me back physiclly and mentally and I dont know what that is. I dont know if i want to see a doctor because I dont want to end up overthinking this whole thing to my parents spending a lot of money on mee. Please I dont know what to do. If anyone knows what can help I will greatly appretiate it. Its really affecting my life....

Latest

Trending

Trending