The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dusty12
That it's "duct tape" not "duck tape"!!:zomg:

LOL, same here!

and I think I still say it like that .. :s-smilie:
Reply 601
When I was younger I thought my mum knew everything.
I used to think Dracula was some sort of top politician for America living in Philadelphia

no idea where i got this idea from, except i guess Transylvania sounds like Pennsylvania, but i doubt i even knew Philadelphia was in Pennsylvania
When i was in primary our teacher told us to sit on the big rug in the class because we were going to Letterland, i was excited because i thought we were going on an actual trip but we were just taught our a b cs
Reply 604
I used to think only men could get meningitis...I kept saying to my mother "...but why is it called meningitis if women can get it too?"
Reply 605
My mum has a scar on her neck where she had her thyroid removed, and when I was younger I used to believe that she'd had her head chopped off and then sewn back on :redface: I wouldn't believe anyone that told me different...
When I was 7 I used to believe that you had like a 'quota' for the number of words you could say in a day and if you exceeded it you wouldn't be able to talk any more! That's why I'm so shy! :tongue:
when i was younger i used to think that the government was one really powerful person (ah all those hours watching newsround)
Original post by Dagnabbit
When I was 7 I used to believe that you had like a 'quota' for the number of words you could say in a day and if you exceeded it you wouldn't be able to talk any more! That's why I'm so shy! :tongue:

Haha like this one! :rofl: And it's kind of sweet :colondollar:
That biology is an 'easy' a level.
When I was a kid, I used to think the laugh track on TV shows was to let you know when you should laugh. So every time I heard it I'd laugh, even though I never understood any of the jokes... :angelblush:
Original post by SimpleGirl
LOL, same here!

and I think I still say it like that .. :s-smilie:

There's a brand of duct tape called duck, so I guess it doesn't matter so much.

I guess mine's the usual one of the olden days lacking any colour whatsoever
Original post by ILikeToEat
When I was a kid, I used to think the laugh track on TV shows was to let you know when you should laugh. So every time I heard it I'd laugh, even though I never understood any of the jokes... :angelblush:

My Grandad was being a whiny old man once and moaned about me watching Friends because the canned laughter "did his head in". It wasn't something I'd paid any attention to before, but having had it pointed out, it really annoys me now.

Tiny little joke = uprorious laughter. Stop telling me what's funny, dammit!
Original post by matthurry
That biology is an 'easy' a level.

Not sure who negged this. Biology is harder than further maths imo.
The victorian times were infact black and white.

It was illegal for girls to buy Yorkie bars....
Original post by Care-Free
The victorian times were infact black and white.

It was illegal for girls to buy Yorkie bars....

What did you think it was like before even black and white cameras were invented? Maybe that everything was painted. :wink:
Original post by EffKayy
Thinking teachers training day was a day in which teachers exercise.
Didn't realise until I was like 12 what it meant

:lolz: :biggrin: I used to think that when a teacher was unable to teach because they'd gone on a course, it was meant that they were doing a golf course.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also used to think all the parked cars I saw at the side of the road had crashed and been abandoned.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 617
Used to call 'crisps' 'cripps', then I found out that the 'cripps' are a violent gang in LA :s-smilie:, aahhhh blissful ignorance
Hiccups = egg cups.
Original post by raaachek
:lolz: :biggrin: I used to think that when a teacher was unable to teach because they'd gone on a course, it was meant that they were doing a golf course.

In all likelihood, that was, and perhaps still is the case. I know I'd go golfing if I had the week off.

Quick Reply

Latest