The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brand New Eyes
BMO2 :colone:

Well now we can discuss it :wink:
Original post by Tobedotty
Well now we can discuss it :wink:

I didn't sit it, but how would you compare it to previous years? My early impressions are that it is difficult by comparison to past papers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheMagicMan
I didn't sit it, but how would you compare it to previous years? My early impressions are that it is difficult by comparison to past papers.

Yeah I thought it was tricky. I had a hack at number 1, showed that QR=PS (pretty easy) and then tried to show that QER+PES=180 so that we could make a cyclic quad out of the two triangles QER and PES but alas, I couldnt do it and spent way longer than I should have. I also had a go at number 4, but again didnt quite get it, I made some bad logical errors. I decided K=3 was sufficient and then put forward a strong inductive argument using

an+bn+cn=(an1+bn1+cn1)(a+b+c)(ab+bc+ca)(an2+bn2+cn2)+abc(an3+bn3+cn3)a^n+b^n+c^n=(a^{n-1}+b^{n-1}+c^{n-1})(a+b+c)-(ab+bc+ca)(a^{n-2}+b^{n-2}+c^{n-2})+abc(a^{n-3}+b^{n-3}+c^{n-3})
(edited 12 years ago)

Oh and I also worked out that 3 is equivlent to showing that given a large enough 45-45-90 triangle lattice that has a two colouring then there we can find three points in the lattice of the same colour that form a 45-45-90 triagngle.
Original post by Tobedotty
Yeah I thought it was tricky. I had a hack at number 1, showed that QR=PS (pretty easy) and then tried to show that QER+PES=180 so that we could make a cyclic quad out of the two triangles QER and PES but alas, I couldnt do it and spent way longer than I should have. I also had a go at number 4, but again didnt quite get it, I made some bad logical errors. I decided K=3 was sufficient and then put forward a strong inductive argument using

an+bn+cn=(an1+bn1+cn1)(a+b+c)(ab+bc+ca)(an2+bn2+cn2)+abc(an3+bn3+cn3)a^n+b^n+c^n=(a^{n-1}+b^{n-1}+c^{n-1})(a+b+c)-(ab+bc+ca)(a^{n-2}+b^{n-2}+c^{n-2})+abc(a^{n-3}+b^{n-3}+c^{n-3})

Q2 looks the most accessible to me...will have a crack later. Strong induction (or possibly an obscure contradition argument?) is probably the way to go on 4, 3 looks like contradiction. 1 is geometry so I'm definitely not going to try it...maybe areal co-ords? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Got my last offer (from Bristol) last night. Now to decide on firm and insurance........
Q2 looks the most accessible to me...will have a crack later. Strong induction (or possibly an obscure contradition argument?) is probably the way to go on 4, 3 looks like contradiction. 1 is geometry so I'm definitely not going to try it...maybe areal co-ords? :tongue:

Try Q3.
do you have a copy of the BM02?
Here.
Original post by cpdavis
do you have a copy of the BM02?
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

Thanks :smile: quick glance and 2 you could probably do with a lot of thought and possibly an induction/contradiction. 4 looks like it can be done, but the algebra manipulation will probably cause me to make a mistake :tongue:
Reply 4650
Is anyone here not doing physics and thinking of applying for maths, or am I the only one?

gcses 9 A* 1 A
A level Maths. F maths, Economics, Latin.
Yay, Imperial Offer!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by ben-smith

that's weird :holmes: PRSOM

:biggrin: Congratulations! :woo: London is epic.

Sweet! What's the offer?
Original post by shamika
Sweet! What's the offer?

A*A*AA No STEP!
Original post by YLY
Is anyone here not doing physics and thinking of applying for maths, or am I the only one?

gcses 9 A* 1 A

Quite a few people, but I'm pretty sure the majority do physics (just cause mathmos tend to like physics I guess haha).

Which unis have you applied for?

Well done mate. Well I guess that's insurance settled for you? :tongue:
Original post by YLY

gcses 9 A* 1 A

Yep, I haven't done physics and I have 5 offers, it really doesn't matter

Me too! They must have sent off a few today.
anyone get maths offer from LSE yet? they are really slow....
Reply 4659
A*A*AA No STEP!

That's weird. How come? Any theories as to why? :tongue: Or do they often do that?

Original post by quest_5692
anyone get maths offer from LSE yet? they are really slow....

Someone on here has an offer for Maths + Econ (and I've seen another for Actuarial Science).
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest