The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ketan1991
Well iv got it too I'm Block E Floor 2, Flat 10, Room 217 and that's premium plus single.

It basicly means its slight bigger than a standard single room and u have ur own sink in the room. Which tbh is handy as u dnt know how hygenic ur housemates will be lol.

Anyone else in nixon court block E?

hey!! thanks for the info on premium plus single room...even i have a premium plus single in block A at nixon court!

anybody else in block A??
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Opal Court Block D floor 2 anybody??:biggrin:
Does anyone have any idea how to input the address for Nixon court into Amazon.co.uk? I've entered it as the accommodation site suggests, but it keeps rejecting it wanting only the main Nixon court address - no room or block number. That doesn't make sense. I could over ride, but amazon strongly suggests not doing that...

Am trying to order bedding (not thrilled with the one choice the uni offered - and this was less expensive) and have it shipped to my block before I arrive. Desperately wanting to keep my luggage down if I can.

Thanks!
Opal court Block C Floor 7 Flat 34 anyone??
Reply 244
I'm an american student studying at Leicester in the spring, and I had a few questions if anyone could answer them.

1. Do any of the halls/accommodation have air conditioning? I know this is harder to come by in England because the weather is more mild than Chicago, but I get terrible hayfever and the air conditioning would really help.

2. I'm definitely a social butterfly so I don't know if any halls/houses are known for having a good amount of people and events.

3. Most students that study abroad from my university stayed in the Digby houses, but I was wondering if I'd meet more english students in the blocks? I want to meet as many different people from different backgrounds and not just stay in my american bubble. :smile:

I need an accommodation that is catered, in Oadby, with a twin room, and I don't need my own bathroom in-suite. Any suggestions?!
Original post by mkmcneill
I'm an american student studying at Leicester in the spring, and I had a few questions if anyone could answer them.

1. Do any of the halls/accommodation have air conditioning? I know this is harder to come by in England because the weather is more mild than Chicago, but I get terrible hayfever and the air conditioning would really help.

2. I'm definitely a social butterfly so I don't know if any halls/houses are known for having a good amount of people and events.

3. Most students that study abroad from my university stayed in the Digby houses, but I was wondering if I'd meet more english students in the blocks? I want to meet as many different people from different backgrounds and not just stay in my american bubble. :smile:

I need an accommodation that is catered, in Oadby, with a twin room, and I don't need my own bathroom in-suite. Any suggestions?!

1. Not that I know of, i've never really heard of any student housing having any type of acommodation. But I would say not to worry, our spring is probably similar to your autumn haha

2. They say that Beaumont/Digby halls are the most social but to be honest, it depends on the people you have in your halls.

3. Most British students do stay in Oadby, but i've noticed a lot of international students living in John Foster (from Europe and Asia mainly) but i'd say you will get a good mix of people anyway

what course will you be doing when you come to UoL?
Reply 246
just wondering whether it is mixed halls or not in the accomodation?
Reply 247
I'm an American student planning to study at Leicester this spring. I've been told that most international students stay in Beaumont or Digby. However, I was offered a room in John Foster (which wasn't on any of my choices). Will there be very many other international students in John Foster?
Reply 248
Hi I'm an American Student studying abroad next semester and I found out I'll be living in Inglewood on the ground floor! Can anyone tell me what it's like?! :smile:
Reply 249
Original post by TheBlackMonster
1. Not that I know of, i've never really heard of any student housing having any type of acommodation. But I would say not to worry, our spring is probably similar to your autumn haha

2. They say that Beaumont/Digby halls are the most social but to be honest, it depends on the people you have in your halls.

3. Most British students do stay in Oadby, but i've noticed a lot of international students living in John Foster (from Europe and Asia mainly) but i'd say you will get a good mix of people anyway

what course will you be doing when you come to UoL?

I'll be studying English! :smile:
Reply 250
Original post by Larsson

Original post by Larsson
just wondering whether it is mixed halls or not in the accomodation?

typically its boys on the ground floor and girls on the first floor but it depends on your accommodation.
Reply 251
Hey Guys!

I'm an international student from California! Going to be studying in Spring 2012 and was wondering if anyone had any information of how Hastings House is like? :smile:
Original post by SMcCabe
I'm an American student planning to study at Leicester this spring. I've been told that most international students stay in Beaumont or Digby. However, I was offered a room in John Foster (which wasn't on any of my choices). Will there be very many other international students in John Foster?

oh, John Foster is full of international students haha. but I don't think I know anyone from America. but it's a good thing though since everyone there is really friendly

you know which block in JoFo yet?
Reply 253
Original post by TheBlackMonste. J
oh, John Fostier is full of international students haha. but I don't think I know anyone from America. but it's a good thing though since everyone there is really friendly

you know which block in JoFo yet?

I'm a third year student at the uni, its the first iv heard that its full of international students, in every year iv been at the uni majority of john foster students are british students. 'City living' so nixon court and opal court are generally more international students and third year halls.
Anywhere in oadby student village is aimed for first years (large majority british) so ur all together and its an amazing communal place to have ur first year no matter which area ur in.

John foster looks better and newer than other halls in oadby however is known for a less social hall due to the layout of each block and there's less people out and about so harder to meet new people, whereas areas like lasdun etc where there's not so many doors to go through to get to urr room and less floors so people are out and about more.

Then again if ur catered, the food may not be all that great but it allows u to meet new people in the catering hall which is good :smile:.
Original post by ketan1991
I'm a third year student at the uni, its the first iv heard that its full of international students, in every year iv been at the uni majority of john foster students are british students. 'City living' so nixon court and opal court are generally more international students and third year halls.
Anywhere in oadby student village is aimed for first years (large majority british) so ur all together and its an amazing communal place to have ur first year no matter which area ur in.

John foster looks better and newer than other halls in oadby however is known for a less social hall due to the layout of each block and there's less people out and about so harder to meet new people, whereas areas like lasdun etc where there's not so many doors to go through to get to urr room and less floors so people are out and about more.

Then again if ur catered, the food may not be all that great but it allows u to meet new people in the catering hall which is good :smile:.

ah, when I said "full of international students" I meant that there's a lot living there compared to the other halls in the student village. i'm a fresher living in the student village and there's generally more in John Foster. but the internationals who live at JoFo are really social and they're mostly from other places in Europe rather than being all from China or Hong Kong. but yes, most of the people at JoFo are british.
Reply 255
Just sent this in a PM and thought it might be useful on here given people will start firming Leicester and looking at halls soon.

The 3/4 main halls at Oadby with a description of their various rooms and what they're like.

John Foster (JoFo, pronounced like MoFo):
The newest hall, only about 5 or 6 years old.
Virtually all catered and some self catered rooms have a full sized ensuite and the interior decoration is like Premier Inn.
Rooms are arranged in flats of 5 or 6 sharing a kitchen (which has everything) and there are between 4 and 8 flats in a block.
All placed pretty close to the central catering bit.
Also an older self-catered block called 'The Coppice' which has pod bathrooms. Mainly students who did gap years. Had a few friends in there from my course and it seemed pretty friendly.
Bar is a 'cocktail bar', still cheap if not as characterful as GMS or Beaumont's.
Due to its layout in separate flats JoFo is said to be not as sociable as other halls. Some blocks are incredibly sociable, but it's not pretty much guaranteed like GMS and Beaumont.
Due to being new, having massive ensuites etc. it is quite a bit more expensive than the other halls.

Beaumont Hall:
Oldest hall, two quads of 5 and 3 blocks. Dining hall is old and pretty, little bit Oxbridge with MCR table etc.
Old quad has had 'pod' bathrooms installed and the rooms are pretty big. From an unbiased perspective I would say these are probably the best value rooms in the uni.
New quad is not ensuite, though the bathrooms are good, and it's very sociable due to the big size of blocks (40ish). Also these are, biased cap on, by far and away the best rooms in the uni.
Grass in the centre of each court which people use in summer.
Bar is pretty decent, pub style though not as big as GMS. Gets busy for pub quiz and sports events.
JCR is particularly good at putting stuff on, though dunno if that was just my year.
Obviously the rooms aren't as plush as JoFo but they're fine. Also it's always really hot.
The vast majority of Beaumont is catered.

GMS:
Formerly two halls, Gilbert Murray and Stamford, now one with one dining hall. There's a lawn bit in between them, but still only 5 mins walk max to the dining hall.
La(d)sdun block is supposedly the best party block in the uni. This is non ensuite and big, next to the bar and dining hall. Did live up to its reputation to an extent, notably Fatal Block F, so called due to the supposed effects of trying to pre drink with its inhabitants.
Other catered bit is Stamford, which is split into separate buildings for each block (Lasdun is one building with a separate staircase for each block). Some of these houses are ensuite, some not. Again these are very sociable, similar to Beaumont new blocks.
Has the biggest halls bar and shows sporting events that aren't popular enough for each hall to show them separately.
Also has Bowder Court. This is self catered with pod bathrooms. I had a friend in here and always thought it seemed a bit soulless compared to other blocks, but he enjoyed it and the rooms are nice and big.

Digby:
Much maligned hall which shares its facilities with Beaumont about a 5 minute walk away.
Has some accommodation in blocks and then others in houses on either side of the road which goes up to Beaumont and the other halls (google maps and you'll see what I mean).
Houses are known to be pretty mental, they are single sex and there can be up to 30 in a house with the subwarden nowhere nearby. The houses are in the botanical gardens which are owned by the Uni.
Blocks are getting old and are said to be cold. Constant rumours of reopening dining hall and/or knocking the whole thing down. No evidence of either as yet.
People who lived there swear by it.

General stuff for Oadby:
It's about a 10 minute bus or 30 minute walk from campus. Recommend a bus pass, sometimes you'll use the bus 5 times a day, going to and from uni twice and then town for a night out in the evening. Last bus on Monday and Friday nights is pretty legendary.

Asda is only about 10 minute walk away which is useful for getting food and it's open 24 hours. For people in self catered doing a big shop they offer delivery

The uni gym and sports hall are up at oadby, about a 5-10 minute walk from halls depending which you're in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by roh

The uni gym and sports hall are up at oadby, about a 5-10 minute walk from halls depending which you're in.

Less than 10 seconds for me last year. :awesome:

I'd live in the house right in front of the gym. It was literally walking out of my door and you'd be in the gym in about 10 steps.

Shame I didn't use the gym that much.
Reply 257
Went to the post offer open day last wed and were shown some accommodation but only JoFo and Lasdun.
Has anyone got any pictures of the inside of Beaumont Hall and is it close to the other accommodation in Oadby?
I would like en-suite so thought JoFo but it seems Beaumont may be more sociable? (I would like a good social life but not too noisy so that if I want to work/sleep it wouldn't be a problem). Would Beaumont be better than JoFo?? - really didn't like the accom at Lasdun but the bar/social room looked good there
Reply 258
Original post by agonyaunt
Went to the post offer open day last wed and were shown some accommodation but only JoFo and Lasdun.
Has anyone got any pictures of the inside of Beaumont Hall and is it close to the other accommodation in Oadby?
I would like en-suite so thought JoFo but it seems Beaumont may be more sociable? (I would like a good social life but not too noisy so that if I want to work/sleep it wouldn't be a problem). Would Beaumont be better than JoFo?? - really didn't like the accom at Lasdun but the bar/social room looked good there

JoFo's not a monastery, most blocks are still pretty sociable! Stamford which is the other end of GMS has some 'pod' ensuites, depends if you want a full separate room which is only JoFo's. The layout of Beaumont does mean it will definitely be very sociable though, whereas JoFo there is a risk, and far from a guarantee, it might not be.
Location wise Beaumont is literally the opposite side of the road to Lasdun. From where you were at S-Bar it's probably just under a minute walk.

This is a link to pictures of Beamount, including an ensuite bedroom: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/student-accommodation/oadby-student-village/beaumont-and-digby-hall-1/images
(edited 12 years ago)
I've got an offer for 2012 - and the only accommodation I've really seen is John Foster which I did like. I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between 'Premium En-suite' and Premium+ En-suite' - because there's definitely a big difference in price.

Also; someone above mentioned a 'post offer day' - are they specific for a course because I didn't hear anything :confused:

My offer is for medicine so I was wondering whether anybody know where the medics generally stay? i.e. Oadby or City Living.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending