The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
Not as devious as the ones who managed it without being caught. :ninja:

Well quite. The got too ambitious there by the looks of things.
That sort of thing also intrigues me. You'd think that a teacher would be mostly able to remember what grades they had given and entered into the system, thus therefore being able to tell which ones looked odd?
Original post by ch0llima

That sort of thing also intrigues me. You'd think that a teacher would be mostly able to remember what grades they had given and entered into the system, thus therefore being able to tell which ones looked odd?

I guess it depends if they keep track, or if they just shove the marks into whatever system the school uses and never looks at them again. Plus according to the article they were already bright kids, so maybe they figured they'd remembered it wrong =P

In said system, most marks are numeric and then weighted depending on whether it was a test, homework, pop quiz, etc.. they are then averaged according to weighting to give Grade/ GPA. Normally the DB contains a lot of Data per child x perhaps 6 classes the teachers teaches ..... the kids were altering marks by just a few points to increase grade/ gpa ..... there is slim to no chance at all that a teacher will remember grades, with such a system why would you?
The ultimate smartphone :yes:

Likely, I guess. Arrogant on the kids' part however.

Original post by H.C. Chinaski
In said system, most marks are numeric and then weighted depending on whether it was a test, homework, pop quiz, etc.. they are then averaged according to weighting to give Grade/ GPA. Normally the DB contains a lot of Data per child x perhaps 6 classes the teachers teaches ..... the kids were altering marks by just a few points to increase grade/ gpa ..... there is slim to no chance at all that a teacher will remember grades, with such a system why would you?

Well, that depends on the number of students and how records are kept. A lot of teachers are actually able to remember individual grades per student or at least recognise the grade they've given when they see it written down somewhere else later. Mine all could, but it's hardly representative.

University, however, is a different story. Lecturers just punt grades off to the registry and say no more about it - they can't remember and I know this from having queried some of my grades in the past.
The ultimate smartphone :yes:

Sleek!

Well, that depends on the number of students and how records are kept. A lot of teachers are actually able to remember individual grades per student or at least recognise the grade they've given when they see it written down somewhere else later. Mine all could, but it's hardly representative.

I think that you have either misread what I put or misunderstood.

Many grading systems in the US use software akin to this:

At the end of a year a student may well have 60 or more percentages associated with their name. A G.P.A. and subsequent grade and then worked out from a weighted total.
I will tell you right now that Teachers do not remember individual grades of this nature for anything more than a couple of days at most ........
Reply 627
Yeah, one thing to be aware of in American schools, practically every grade counts. Every test/exam, project, book report, pop-quiz, spelling/vocab test, homework assignment etc. All of it averages together throughout the year. It'd be pretty easy to boost the odd mark here and there, especially on stuff done earlier in the year where the teacher wouldn't have a hope of remembering what they put. It's not like here where you've pretty much got two grades: exams and coursework project. Teachers here would be more likely to remember those, maybe.

They got greedy with selling on the mark schemes, that was their downfall. They didn't prevent traceability of the mark schemes back to them, and they didn't have a back up story to explain how they came across them. They got caught, then did a full ****ing confession. Morons.
Original post by SMed
Yeah, one thing to be aware of in American schools, practically every grade counts. Every test/exam, project, book report, pop-quiz, spelling/vocab test, homework assignment etc. All of it averages together throughout the year. It'd be pretty easy to boost the odd mark here and there, especially on stuff done earlier in the year where the teacher wouldn't have a hope of remembering what they put. It's not like here where you've pretty much got two grades: exams and coursework project. Teachers here would be more likely to remember those, maybe.

They got greedy with selling on the mark schemes, that was their downfall. They didn't prevent traceability of the mark schemes back to them, and they didn't have a back up story to explain how they came across them. They got caught, then did a full ****ing confession. Morons.

Master criminals they ain't.
Hmm, I really should be using the £600 extra (After paying uni fees) from my next student loan payment to get me out of my overdraft. Instead I've already chosen what to spend half of it on (90% of which is techy goodness) and the other half will undoubtedly find its way to contributing to a holiday with the girlfriend. If only you could buy self control...

Original post by G8D
Missing having a smartphone tbh :nothing:

I'm moving in the opposite direction if anything, I use very few apps on my WP7 phone now and I've brought a 2006 iPod out of retirement for my music. I'm really tempted to buy out of my contract, sell my current phone and get a bog standard Android handset for web browsing. Funny how things change, it seems like only a few weeks ago that I struggled not having my iPhone strapped to me at all times =P

Original post by G8D
Honestly if I get the Transformer Prime 700/HD I'd be happy with a small/dumbphone that could act as a protected wireless tether...

Anything like that exist?

Apparently Android from versions 2.2 upward have tethering baked into the OS, so a bargain bin 3G handset will probably suffice, you should be able to pick something up for less than £50.

This is actually my plan too, albeit with the tablet coming from a fruit-based manufacturer. Sorry Vlad :ashamed2:
Mad Vlad
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by G8D
See... I'm starting to think I don't even want a smartphone...

Although it gives me features upon features upon... I've realised it sort of bogs me down too. I always have something to check up on or read or whatever and it really dents productivity (or so I've convinced myself).

In that case a basic mobile hotspot would be the next best thing if you don't want the distractions. Most carriers offer one variety or another. That or you could turn on tethering and then break the screen :ahee:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Spoiler

If only. :sogood:

No real keyboard :frown:
Reply 633
If we are to slowly begin embracing the Minority Report era of technology, we must forgo nostalgia laden keyboard styles and boldly go where no one has gone before. :moon:

I cannot wait for us to lose physical keyboards, but I wish we could still have tactile feedback for the virtual ones

Spoiler

Saw that on Reddit a few days ago. I want it. And Fujitsu have generally been quite good to me, had one for nearly 5 years before I got a new one, and it still works now

Spoiler

That looks really good and I'd be willing to try the touchscreen keyboard but it would require some amazing autocorrect
Reply 636
If we are to slowly begin embracing the Minority Report era of technology, we must forgo nostalgia laden keyboard styles and boldly go where no one has gone before. :moon:

Really nice looking concept but I agree that tactile feedback is necessary in a keyboard, not necessarily a physical one but definitely not a pure touch one.
The answer:

Dammit, I've just been looking into getting the front panel on my iPod replaced and found out that it's just had it's 7th birthday and left the realms of fully supported products :ashamed2:
Tech ages at a rapid rate, just like dogs, which means your iPod is now 49 years old. Time for a new toy! :yep: