The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
The.

ah one last thing, do you remember if in your first collection there were questions about the introductory courses (intro to complex and intro to pure maths) ??
Original post by moritzplatz
ah one last thing, do you remember if in your first collection there were questions about the introductory courses (intro to complex and intro to pure maths) ??

One simple problem put in towards the rear of the paper about proving N^k has the same cardinility as N but you won't have any intro to complex numbers problems (or a whole question about the intro to p.m) because they're really to make sure everyone has the same level / to ease people into lectures - they aren't actual courses - i.e. you don't get tested on them in the exam.
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
One simple problem put in towards the rear of the paper about proving N^k has the same cardinility as N but you won't have any intro to complex numbers problems (or a whole question about the intro to p.m) because they're really to make sure everyone has the same level / to ease people into lectures - they aren't actual courses - i.e. you don't get tested on them in the exam.

oh ok thanks...
i think the cardinality thing is in the analysis syllabus actually!!
Wow this thread has been quiet. Third year second term, huh?

Anyway, I only checked in to beg for some LaTeX help. Srsly, this stuff is irritating, and I will rep the PANTS OFF YOU if you help me. I've spent so so long trying to insert a picture in my poster, I've Googled 100 solutions and tried them all and NOTHING IS WORKING. The picture is in the same directory as the poster file, the file name is definitely correct, I've tried all different sizes so there is definitely enough room for it, and all I get is a box with the file name inside it. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?

Any and all help greatly appreciated. As you may be able to tell, I'm a little frustrated with this whole thing.
Reply 7404
should have used word
Original post by around
should have used word

In an ideal word, Durham wouldn't insist on having your poster and report written in LaTeX, which benefits only the people who do not go outside.
Reply 7406
Original post by assmaster

Anyway, I only checked in to beg for some LaTeX help. Srsly, this stuff is irritating, and I will rep the PANTS OFF YOU if you help me. I've spent so so long trying to insert a picture in my poster, I've Googled 100 solutions and tried them all and NOTHING IS WORKING. The picture is in the same directory as the poster file, the file name is definitely correct, I've tried all different sizes so there is definitely enough room for it, and all I get is a box with the file name inside it. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?

Any and all help greatly appreciated. As you may be able to tell, I'm a little frustrated with this whole thing.

What packages/commands are you using? What type of graphics file is it?

You will get a better reply if you post your source.
Original post by Jake22
What packages/commands are you using? What type of graphics file is it?

You will get a better reply if you post your source.

I was using {usegraphicx} and
\includegraphic[scale]{filename.jpg}

In the end, I closed the program, restarted it, and everything appeared. I have no idea why that should be. Thanks for the help though.
The awkward moment when you're in your third year of maths yet still can't create a poster.
I still don't know what area of maths I'm interested in. I came into this year thinking I was going to end up solely doing physics and applied stuff next year, but I don't know...
Original post by tommm
I still don't know what area of maths I'm interested in. I came into this year thinking I was going to end up solely doing physics and applied stuff next year, but I don't know...

You say that like it's a bad thing!
Reply 7411
Original post by Mr Dactyl
You say that like it's a bad thing!

I dunno, going into my last term and I still don't know what I want to study in Part III. Starting to get worried.
Loving the astrophysics so much :love: Had a dream I won a Noble Prize for astrophysics :dance:
Reply 7413
Original post by SimonM
I dunno, going into my last term and I still don't know what I want to study in Part III. Starting to get worried.

go to all of them?
Reply 7414
Original post by around
go to all of them?

It's what I've done up until now, but I don't think I'd be able to do each individual course justice in Part III.
Reply 7415
Not that I'm planning to do part III, but even I'm intimidated by the sheer number of courses that I'd want to do versus how many I'd actually be able to do! Just in the quantum / relativity area I'm interested in!

Original post by around
go to all of them?

Given up on GR already? :tongue:
Reply 7416
Original post by My Alt

Given up on GR already? :tongue:

Unfortunately, yes. (it didn't help I had a supervision tomorrow i couldn't be motivated to do any work for, but also because i hate indices so much)
Reply 7417

Hrm, do you know about LyX? Look it up.
Reply 7418
I was using {usegraphicx} and
\includegraphic[scale]{filename.jpg}

In the end, I closed the program, restarted it, and everything appeared. I have no idea why that should be. Thanks for the help though.

it's because LaTeX does what it wants, when it wants to what it wants.
To date my proudest achievement was my 4th year project - basically a 25 page article on the golden ratio - composed entirely in LaTeX
it was (and still is) a thing of beauty
it is one of just 10 icons on my desktop, that's how proud i am of it
then again, this picture depicting an important life event of mine (and to date my second proudest achievement in life) is one of the other 10...
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5256/ragecomich.png
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7419
Original post by munn
it's because LaTeX does what it wants, when it wants to what it wants.

It is pretty straightforward if you spend a small amount of time to learn what it does and how it works. GIGO obviously applies.

Quick Reply

Latest