The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
hey all I have BSMS interview but they havent really told me a specific time. I got an email with the day's itenerary and theres supposed to a presentation for all interviewees and optional campus tour and discussion groups with other applicants but nowhere does it state the time and place of my interview.

do we find that out on the day of?
Reply 921

Original post by .eXe
hey all I have BSMS interview but they havent really told me a specific time. I got an email with the day's itenerary and theres supposed to a presentation for all interviewees and optional campus tour and discussion groups with other applicants but nowhere does it state the time and place of my interview.

do we find that out on the day of?

the email that i got states how long the interview is for and where it will be carried out. It also says it's going to be with a GP a junior doctor and i think an academic teacher or something for 20 mins
Reply 922
Original post by shahla
the email that i got states how long the interview is for and where it will be carried out. It also says it's going to be with a GP a junior doctor and i think an academic teacher or something for 20 mins

oh wow I am a total idiot LOL I read the email on my phone and didnt scroll down long enough :tongue: yep I see that part now explaining the specifics of the interview. Thanks! I wouldve been lost if you hadnt posted :tongue:

When is your interview by the way?
Reply 923

Original post by .eXe
oh wow I am a total idiot LOL I read the email on my phone and didnt scroll down long enough :tongue: yep I see that part now explaining the specifics of the interview. Thanks! I wouldve been lost if you hadnt posted :tongue:

When is your interview by the way?

You're welcome :smile:
My inteview is on 4th of February at 10:00 in Foyer, BSMS Teaching Building, University of Sussex Campus

yours?
Reply 924
Original post by shahla
You're welcome :smile:
My inteview is on 4th of February at 10:00 in Foyer, BSMS Teaching Building, University of Sussex Campus

yours?

Mine is on Feb 11 at 10am, same place as yours :smile: Are you international by any chance or a home applicant? If intl, from where?
Reply 925

Original post by .eXe
Mine is on Feb 11 at 10am, same place as yours :smile: Are you international by any chance or a home applicant? If intl, from where?

I am a home applicant :smile:

Have you prepared anything for the interview? I am totally lost and scared :frown:
Reply 926
Original post by shahla

Have you prepared anything for the interview? I am totally lost and scared :frown:

same here, especially since my soton interview didnt go that well (at least from my perspective) im kinda scared for this one. I wont concentrate too much on ethics cases as I find it doesnt matter how much I prepare, I still have to sort of improvise the answer at the interview. Ill try reading up on some current events in medicine and learn a little bit about the school (specifically about its teaching style, some clubs and activities they are good at). Theres not much else to be honest that I know of :frown:

How about yourself? How have you prepared? Have you had/have other interviews?

Hope BSMS wont go too hard on us :smile:
Original post by shahla

Original post by .eXe
same here, especially since my soton interview didnt go that well (at least from my perspective) im kinda scared for this one. I wont concentrate too much on ethics cases as I find it doesnt matter how much I prepare, I still have to sort of improvise the answer at the interview. Ill try reading up on some current events in medicine and learn a little bit about the school (specifically about its teaching style, some clubs and activities they are good at). Theres not much else to be honest that I know of :frown:

If it helps to comfort either of you: BSMS have been my friendliest interviewers yet, out of three interviews which people have told me were generally very friendly. BSMS are awesome friendly.

They really encourage you in your answers, so don't feel that they'll try to put you off, nor that they'll pressure you too much. The interview style is very traditional as well, with three on the panel and it being a basic question and answer structure.

Best of luck! :yy:
Reply 928
Original post by CraigKirk
If it helps to comfort either of you: BSMS have been my friendliest interviewers yet, out of three interviews which people have told me were generally very friendly. BSMS are awesome friendly.

They really encourage you in your answers, so don't feel that they'll try to put you off, nor that they'll pressure you too much. The interview style is very traditional as well, with three on the panel and it being a basic question and answer structure.

Thanks a lot for that! Certainly helps reassure me a bit. Do you know if they follow a set list of questions or are they unique to each candidate? I know there are some schools who have the same questions they ask everyone and I really dislike that. Hope BSMS doesnt do that

Original post by .eXe
Thanks a lot for that! Certainly helps reassure me a bit. Do you know if they follow a set list of questions or are they unique to each candidate? I know there are some schools who have the same questions they ask everyone and I really dislike that. Hope BSMS doesnt do that

Sort of...

Everyone arrives for 10.00, and BSMS split the candidates into a blue group and a yellow group. First, both groups go in for the presentation about the course and teaching methods etc.. For the morning, one group goes on the tour whilst the other group is interviewed. Then it is reversed in the afternoon.

For those being interviewed, there are a few panels of three, not just one, which each interview one candidate whilst everyone else has a chat in the waiting room. I think each of the panels individually ask similar questions. After your interview if it was in the morning, you go back downstairs to wait in the foyer until the rest of your group are finished and then go on the tour, or if you're interviewed in the afternoon I imagine you can just leave once you've been interviewed (I was interviewed in the morning, so I'm not 100% sure here).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 930

Original post by .eXe

To be honest I am just going to read that science magazine. Since it is my first medicine interview so i am a bit freaked out

Hope it goes well for all of us. Since my interview is before yours, i'll try and post the interview questions here :smile:
Reply 931

Thanks a lot :smile:
There is a rather new medical building on the Sussex campus, but then there are buildings on the Brighton campus which are used by medical students a lot too. It's more or less equally split on terms of delivery, as far as I know, because different parts of medicine are accessible on the different campuses.

As for accommodation, yeah, you go either on the Brighton or Sussex campuses along with the other students, although on my admissions day, medics were generally based on the same courts.

As a first year:
Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays are 90% at Sussex all day (here you do your academic/science work)
Tuesday mornings are at Brighton/Falmer, as are some afternoons (here you do your clinical work)
Wednesdays depends on your SSC, normally Sussex.
Second year is the same but clinical day is on a Thursday instead.
Years 3/4/5 are primarily hospital based with teaching at the Aldrey Emerton building (near Sussex County Hospital) I believe (but as a first year I could be wrong!)
Original post by synonomous

As a first year:
Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays are 90% at Sussex all day (here you do your academic/science work)
Tuesday mornings are at Brighton/Falmer, as are some afternoons (here you do your clinical work)
Years 3/4/5 are primarily hospital based with teaching at the Aldrey Emerton building (near Sussex County Hospital) I believe (but as a first year I could be wrong!)

Ohh super, they make good use of the new building then! Thanks for this information. It'll be useful for deciding where to go as I have no idea still :tongue: :biggrin:
Ohh super, they make good use of the new building then! Thanks for this information. It'll be useful for deciding where to go as I have no idea still :tongue: :biggrin:

Where are your choices?
Ps. BSMS is literally amazing (and lets face it, i'm anonomous on a website, i have no reason to be lying to you lol)
Reply 935
How far are Brighton and Sussex from each other? I have seen them on a map but it's hard to judge their distance and the time it would take to travel between them. Are there transit/shuttle buses between them or would students require their own transportation?

Where are your choices?
Ps. BSMS is literally amazing (and lets face it, i'm anonomous on a website, i have no reason to be lying to you lol)

I have offers from St Andrews (partnered with Manchester) and BSMS at the moment; I'm waiting to hear back from an interview at Manchester, and waiting for anything back from Nottingham. It is amazing - I loved it when I was there, but so did I love St Andrews and Manchester and I've been to Nottingham countless times (live nearby) and love that too! #ImpossibleChoices :eek3:

Obviously, I'm waiting so I can see what my options are first, but I just know that even among the first two it's gonna be difficult to choose...
Reply 937
Original post by .eXe
How far are Brighton and Sussex from each other? I have seen them on a map but it's hard to judge their distance and the time it would take to travel between them. Are there transit/shuttle buses between them or would students require their own transportation?

You can actually walk between the two sites they are really close by, just separated by a road - A27 (I think!) - with a walkway underneath. At the open day last year the med school put on coaches but we walked back......took about 10-15mins.
Original post by samnwood
You can actually walk between the two sites they are really close by, just separated by a road - A27 (I think!) - with a walkway underneath. At the open day last year the med school put on coaches but we walked back......took about 10-15mins.

yeah completely right, you basically cut through the falmer train station. takes no time at all, even less if you cycle.
As a first year:

I see your a first year, could you answer a few question for me? Im toying between peninsula and BSMS.
How are you finding your assessments at the moment, have you had many and what is the resit policy? As a first year what are the positive and negatives so far?
Thanks, Dan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending