The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3720
Original post by smithsonian

Got a telephone interview for BAML !! Received the call at 16.45 approx, anybody else?

yep. when is yours?
Original post by rebyc
yep. when is yours?

next week , can't disclose the date here for privacy reasons , but i'll message u :smile:
Got a Nomura Offer this morning! :biggrin:, so happy to get something
Reply 3723
Original post by rebyc
yep. when is yours?

next week , can't disclose the date here for privacy reasons , but i'll message u :smile:

Guys if they're all on the same day do you all want to meet for a coffee beforehand and then we can head in toge.. oh wait never mind.
Reply 3724
Original post by sportycricketer

Congrats!

Although did they interview?
Got a telephone interview for BAML !! Received the call at 16.45 approx, anybody else?

For which department?

Fantastic man! Congrats, genuinely happy for you mate :beer:
Got an offer... whilst I ain't heard **** all from them.

'grats, but this **** is ridonculus.
Original post by Michael XYZ

Have you applied to any other sectors apart from investment banking? Considering the numbers involved with SW's it's worth having some less competitive back up options to fall back on. That's what I did (I have a PwC offer), but then again I have no inclination to work in IB so anything on top of that is a bonus.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Have you applied to any other sectors apart from investment banking? Considering the numbers involved with SW's it's worth having some less competitive back up options to fall back on. That's what I did (I have a PwC offer), but then again I have no inclination to work in IB so anything on top of that is a bonus.

ICAP and I have an AC with them on the 12th.

Other than that, no. I only really want to be a trader and pretty certain that's the path I want to take. Possibly research/sales but less likely... trade is really where I think I'd enjoy and be suited best for.

It's not even about competitive though. It's about firms not being ****ing ridiculous and handing out rejections/offers whilst some applicants still haven't heard anything.
ICAP and I have an AC with them on the 12th.

Other than that, no. I only really want to be a trader and pretty certain that's the path I want to take. Possibly research/sales but less likely... trade is really where I think I'd enjoy and be suited best for.

It's not even about competitive though. It's about firms not being ****ing ridiculous and handing out rejections/offers whilst some applicants still haven't heard anything.

Mate; the banks work like that. They look through who they have and select the people they want to interview. They then give out offers and see who signs. They then have all their places filled and so they reject the people they have left. They may reject some people along the way who they definitely don't want to interview even if nobody reaches the required standard at AC/doesn't sign the contract, but there will still be some candidates left in case that does happen and they need to interview some more applicants.

You happen to be in this big waiting room with a large number of other applicants. They won't put all their eggs in one basket and reject everyone before they make any offers/interview anyone, they will fill their places while keeping their options open. Likewise, you haven't put all your eggs in one basket and only applied to Morgan Stanley or Goldman Sachs.

Does this way of recruiting not seem logical to you? Do you want to have the banks email you saying "We are keeping your application on hold in case our first choice applicants don't fill our available spaces"? Well that's stupid; not only does it put you off the bank, but it wastes valuable HR time when they could be sorting interviews out and filling those spaces. If this doesn't seem like a logical way to recruit then to be honest, you shouldn't be getting into IB.
I don't want to be arrogant but I think that my CV is pretty good whereas my interviewing isn't so good. Now, sure, you may be right but I don't think that's so much the case to be perfectly honest.

Maybe I am being delusional or something but I think it's good enough to get to do some tests or phone interview or whatever. After that, sure, then you see differently.

I don't think it's like that at all though. I think some just pick the first X amount of applications and then a bunch that apply later they kind of don't care. They interview the first batch and go with it because, in the end, who gives a ****? We're all about equal - there'll be some that are amazing and will get man offers and others who suck but most of us are about the same level. So odds are, you sample 10% you'll still get like 10-15 good candidates. Why bother wasting time doing 1000 applications when you can sample 100 and still pick who you need?

That's how, personally, I think some of them do it.

Edit: I was talking to a friend at my university and he had a friend in the second year who had done two Spring Weeks. He said that most of the people he talked to applied early on and some weren't even very clever/competent - just they really did well in applying early. I can definitely see this being the case and it sucks that I didn't think about that and apply as early as possible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Fantastic man! Congrats, genuinely happy for you mate :beer:

thanks, you've been establishing yourself pretty good as well :wink:

Original post by miml
Congrats!

Although did they interview?

i was surprised i got one without an interview or a numerical online test, so i guess my cv was ok :s-smilie:. i was shocked cos quite a few people on here got tests and interviews and i didn't get anything of that sort

trust me i felt the same until today. i haven't heart from most of the applications i have made, this is only my 5th reply. how many replies have you had?
thanks, you've been establishing yourself pretty good as well :wink:

i was surprised i got one without an interview or a numerical online test, so i guess my cv was ok :s-smilie:. i was shocked cos quite a few people on here got tests and interviews and i didn't get anything of that sort

trust me i felt the same until today. i haven't heart from most of the applications i have made, this is only my 5th reply. how many replies have you had?

Congrats man, Your too good to be having all these online tests and interviews thats why

I've had 4 replies. Technically 5 if RBS counts (telling me I've passed tests but not guaranteed interview).

Did you apply early on for Nomura out of curiosity?

So, yes, I guess same amount as you really. What replies did you get though? Rejections/interviews/offers?

Edit: What would, at this stage in life, constitute a good CV would you guys say? I mean, you're not really gonna have a ton of work experience and ****. I guess being the captain of your school's football club lol. :P
Reply 3735

Interesting... gives me hope as I'm in the same situation.
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
Congrats man, Your too good to be having all these online tests and interviews thats why

haha clearly :wink: but seriously its weird, I'm happy though
But this is the same Nomura that was rumoured to be full a couple of weeks ago? Or was that a generic rejection email?
Reply 3738
I don't want to be arrogant but I think that my CV is pretty good whereas my interviewing isn't so good. Now, sure, you may be right but I don't think that's so much the case to be perfectly honest.

Maybe I am being delusional or something but I think it's good enough to get to do some tests or phone interview or whatever. After that, sure, then you see differently.

I don't think it's like that at all though. I think some just pick the first X amount of applications and then a bunch that apply later they kind of don't care. They interview the first batch and go with it because, in the end, who gives a ****? We're all about equal - there'll be some that are amazing and will get man offers and others who suck but most of us are about the same level. So odds are, you sample 10% you'll still get like 10-15 good candidates. Why bother wasting time doing 1000 applications when you can sample 100 and still pick who you need?

That's how, personally, I think some of them do it.

Edit: I was talking to a friend at my university and he had a friend in the second year who had done two Spring Weeks. He said that most of the people he talked to applied early on and some weren't even very clever/competent - just they really did well in applying early. I can definitely see this being the case and it sucks that I didn't think about that and apply as early as possible.

I applied 2 hours before the deadline for MS, got to AC. Just saying
I've had 4 replies. Technically 5 if RBS counts (telling me I've passed tests but not guaranteed interview).

Did you apply early on for Nomura out of curiosity?

So, yes, I guess same amount as you really. What replies did you get though? Rejections/interviews/offers?

Edit: What would, at this stage in life, constitute a good CV would you guys say? I mean, you're not really gonna have a ton of work experience and ****. I guess being the captain of your school's football club lol. :P

check your inbox :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending