The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicholasng925
Several offers. Going to firm either Actuarial Science at Cass or MMORSE at Warwick, insurance be Actuarial Science at Heriot-Watt. How about you? :smile:

Nice. i forgot warwick even existed when i made my applications. i only have iffers from manchester and cass.
Fincance and Economics in Manchester though.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the UK study visa done? And is there really an additional requirement to their visa such as IELTS?
Original post by iamlovinit05
Nice. i forgot warwick even existed when i made my applications. i only have iffers from manchester and cass.
Fincance and Economics in Manchester though.

Gosh! I thought Warwick was one of the famous one and everyone shall at least attempt to apply for it. Congrats anyway for your other offers. What would you firm?
Gosh! I thought Warwick was one of the famous one and everyone shall at least attempt to apply for it. Congrats anyway for your other offers. What would you firm?

I think that its the location or something. Might firm manchester though. just need to see if the reputation's good enough for investment banking jobs.
Reply 2864
Original post by fellowjoe

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the UK study visa done? And is there really an additional requirement to their visa such as IELTS?

If you are applying from Singapore, it takes about 3 weeks- 3 months to get the study visa done. It also depends whether you are applying for Tier 4 (General) or Tier 4 (Child).
Basically, if you are applying for a study Visa, you would need to provide details for your English language proficiency, by tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.

In UK, most universities would prefer the IELTS certificate. And you would usually have to provide them this certificate after and sometimes before they issue you an unconditional offer.

I hope that answers some of your doubts.
Reply 2865
Original post by jaenvin
If you are applying from Singapore, it takes about 3 weeks- 3 months to get the study visa done. It also depends whether you are applying for Tier 4 (General) or Tier 4 (Child).

The UK Border Agency's Guide to visa processing times claims that 82% of Tier 4 visa applications made in Singapore are processed within 2 working days, and 98% within 15 working days. The page shows data for decisions made in December 2011.

I'm not sure how accurate the data is, though!
Reply 2866
Original post by perpend

Original post by perpend
The UK Border Agency's Guide to visa processing times claims that 82% of Tier 4 visa applications made in Singapore are processed within 2 working days, and 98% within 15 working days. The page shows data for decisions made in December 2011.

I'm not sure how accurate the data is, though!

It's really rare that they actually process it within 2 working days though. I remember that it took at least one working week.
Reply 2867
You also need to consider two factors:

a) How many people are applying for Visa at the same time (eg, rush by students to get Visa in Jul/Aug).

b) The day when they send the passports to Malaysia to get the visa (My impression was that they send the passports there only on certain days of the week)
Reply 2868
Original post by Narev
You also need to consider two factors:

a) How many people are applying for Visa at the same time (eg, rush by students to get Visa in Jul/Aug).

b) The day when they send the passports to Malaysia to get the visa (My impression was that they send the passports there only on certain days of the week)

Ah that's true. During those busy months they'll have to handle way more than the 150 decisions in December.
Original post by jaenvin
Basically, if you are applying for a study Visa, you would need to provide details for your English language proficiency, by tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.

In UK, most universities would prefer the IELTS certificate. And you would usually have to provide them this certificate after and sometimes before they issue you an unconditional offer.

I hope that answers some of your doubts.

Ah thanks. Fortunately i got more than 4 for each section which is the equivalent of the CEFR level B1, the minimum IELTS requirement for the UK Border Agency.
Reply 2870
Ah thanks. Fortunately i got more than 4 for each section which is the equivalent of the CEFR level B1, the minimum IELTS requirement for the UK Border Agency.

If you're attending a course of study equivalent to a Bachelor's degree or higher, the UK Border Agency requires you to show English language competency at a minimum of CEFR level B2. That's at least 5.5 for each section of the IELTS.
Original post by perpend
If you're attending a course of study equivalent to a Bachelor's degree or higher, the UK Border Agency requires you to show English language competency at a minimum of CEFR level B2. That's at least 5.5 for each section of the IELTS.

Oh really? but either way, i have met their requirements. Thanks though!
I think that its the location or something. Might firm manchester though. just need to see if the reputation's good enough for investment banking jobs.

Oh! So you're looking forward for a career in investment banking?
Oh! So you're looking forward for a career in investment banking?

Yea or something along the lines of that. Do you think Manchester's good enough?
Reply 2874
Oh really? but either way, i have met their requirements. Thanks though!

Did the university offer you an unconditional offer?
How did you meet the UKBA's language requirements?
Original post by volante
Did the university offer you an unconditional offer?
How did you meet the UKBA's language requirements?

yeah i already have an unconditional offer from Manchester and on top of that, my lowest IELTS score for a section is 6 (UKBA's minimum requirement is a 5.5 for each section).

How's your IELTS going?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2876
yeah i already have an unconditional offer from Manchester and on top of that, my lowest IELTS score for a section is 6 (UKBA's minimum requirement is a 5.5 for each section).

How's your IELTS going?

Crap. I have not done the IELTS! Is it a must? I got an unconditional from bristol & the uni told me they i've met their language requirements.

However, it seems that to get a visa, I MUST do the IELTs??
Original post by volante
Crap. I have not done the IELTS! Is it a must? I got an unconditional from bristol & the uni told me they i've met their language requirements.

Bingo.
Reply 2878
Original post by volante

I have not applied for a visa myself, so I may be wrong, but:

According to the UK Border Agency's English language ability page, if the university is satisfied that your English language ability is acceptable, the university will issue you a CAS (confirmation of acceptance for studies), which you will use to apply for a visa. This page further states that:

[INDENT]If you are applying to study a course at or above NQF 6/QCF 6/SCQF 9 at a UK higher education institution, the institution can choose its own method of assessing your English languiage ability. You do not need to submit any documents with your application to support this.[/INDENT]

I believe this means that as long as Bristol is convinced of your English language ability, and it issues you with a CAS, you do not need to take any English language proficiency test.

Edit: of course, it's best to email the admissions office at Bristol to check whether they want you to take a test.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yea or something along the lines of that. Do you think Manchester's good enough?

Sorry I'm not too sure about Manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending