The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by DanHancock
I see your a first year, could you answer a few question for me? Im toying between peninsula and BSMS.
How are you finding your assessments at the moment, have you had many and what is the resit policy? As a first year what are the positive and negatives so far?
Thanks, Dan.

I know someone in second year at Peninsula, the way they assess you is really weird. You get MCQ exams where everyone doing medicine sits the same exam (years 1-5) and each year has a different pass mark. If you answer a question wrong, you get marks taken off (so technically you could end up with a negative mark). Don't know what Brighton is like though. Hope this helps
Reply 941
Rejected by ucas track :frown:
Not a shock as my stats were crap :/
Good luck to the rest :smile:
Reply 942
Original post by xxsanhaxx
Rejected by ucas track :frown:
Not a shock as my stats were crap :/
Good luck to the rest :smile:

thank you and good luck for your other choices.
Original post by DanHancock
I see your a first year, could you answer a few question for me? Im toying between peninsula and BSMS.
How are you finding your assessments at the moment, have you had many and what is the resit policy? As a first year what are the positive and negatives so far?
Thanks, Dan.

Haha, well to start I am biased... Peninsula and BSMS have a little rivalry going on you could say, both new but with VERY different teaching methods. I loved Peninsula myself, but in hindsite BSMS is definately best for me (couldn't be doing PBL or their silly assessment techniques :tongue:) . Anyway:

Assessments are regular and challenging, but very achievable if you put in the work. In first term 50% lies on a big test in December which is just basic science, building slightly on A level biology. There are also a few essays and presentation type things to check you're up to scratch. The good news is that if you're not great with writing there is a lot of support and help available. Second term is similar but with regular tests (4 throughout the term) aswell as the big end of term, but these are so helpful as a revision technique that I'd be stuch without them! So yes, assessments are regular and don't expect much time where you have nothing to be doing, but hard work is rewarded because A/A*s are definately achievable if you work for it. Resit policy- you resit during the summer if you fail. If you fail the resit, you can apply for mitigating circumstances and some people are allowed to retake the year [Gee, don't be worrying about resit policies... not really the right mindset for a future doctor! You don't get to 'resit' cardiac surgery!!]

Positives.... Pretty much everything. Lots of structures teaching so you know exactly what you've got to know, encouragement for self study, a good level of clinical practise from day 1, really small and know most people, med school is really really close knit and have lots of socials, lots of different teaching groups so you meet people, examined in a way which suits me, snazzy new medical school, dissection of course, brighton and the city itself... I could go on :smile:
Negatives.... Lots of work needed especially if you're a perfectionist like me and want top grades (but thats all med schools), med school is a little way away from town (unlimited bus travel is only £8 a week though), monday morning 9am starts lol... Running out of negatives.

I don't really know anyone at my med school who isn't very very happy they're there :smile:
Reply 944
Hey sort of weird question, but does BSMS (and other med schools) have dress codes for lectures/classes/clinicals?

I assume it is scrubs for clinicals but for regular day to day, are you expected to dress professional or can I still go in PJs like I did during undergrad :tongue:
Reply 945
Lectures = whatever, clinical = dress policy of the Trust(s) you're in.

Generally that's trousers/chinos, shirt, bare below the elbow, tie tucked in if worn at all. Only wear scrubs in theatres over here.
Original post by synonomous
Haha, well to start I am biased... Peninsula and BSMS have a little rivalry going on you could say, both new but with VERY different teaching methods. I loved Peninsula myself, but in hindsite BSMS is definately best for me (couldn't be doing PBL or their silly assessment techniques :tongue:) . Anyway:

Assessments are regular and challenging, but very achievable if you put in the work. In first term 50% lies on a big test in December which is just basic science, building slightly on A level biology. There are also a few essays and presentation type things to check you're up to scratch. The good news is that if you're not great with writing there is a lot of support and help available. Second term is similar but with regular tests (4 throughout the term) aswell as the big end of term, but these are so helpful as a revision technique that I'd be stuch without them! So yes, assessments are regular and don't expect much time where you have nothing to be doing, but hard work is rewarded because A/A*s are definately achievable if you work for it. Resit policy- you resit during the summer if you fail. If you fail the resit, you can apply for mitigating circumstances and some people are allowed to retake the year [Gee, don't be worrying about resit policies... not really the right mindset for a future doctor! You don't get to 'resit' cardiac surgery!!]

Positives.... Pretty much everything. Lots of structures teaching so you know exactly what you've got to know, encouragement for self study, a good level of clinical practise from day 1, really small and know most people, med school is really really close knit and have lots of socials, lots of different teaching groups so you meet people, examined in a way which suits me, snazzy new medical school, dissection of course, brighton and the city itself... I could go on :smile:
Negatives.... Lots of work needed especially if you're a perfectionist like me and want top grades (but thats all med schools), med school is a little way away from town (unlimited bus travel is only £8 a week though), monday morning 9am starts lol... Running out of negatives.

I don't really know anyone at my med school who isn't very very happy they're there :smile:

Thanks a lot for that, it was very helpful. I think the regular tests will keep me on top of things, and stop slacking! I know brighton quite well, so i think it may become my firm :smile:
Reply 947
interview on the 15th. any helpful tips whats it like?
Reply 948
Original post by razzler
interview on the 15th. any helpful tips whats it like?

Did you receive this today?
Reply 949
is it a good sign if they ask for a second reference? I'm on an Access course and they've asked for one, wondering if it's standard :\
Reply 950
Have any graduates heard?
Reply 951
Nope - either none of them are here or we're in for a long wait!

S.
Reply 952
Original post by Sheeeep
Nope - either none of them are here or we're in for a long wait!

S.

lol im a graduate, i agree with the latter, we in for a LONGGG wait :biggrin: oh the delight! :tongue:
Reply 953
Original post by KezSmyth
Have any graduates heard?

I haven't yet and am getting a bit impatient. We should know soon...
Reply 954
I feel better now that nobody knows and that it is not just me! It is just scary when you see all these people with interviews on here!
Reply 955
They are obviously dealing with us graduates last, i hope.
Reply 956
I believe that we are last - seem to recall that they also have slightly different people look us over, more senior staff, I believe.

S.
Reply 957
Im a graduate and I have interview already. They have been looking over graduate + international applications for about a month now (spoke with them via email).

Hope you guys get contacted soon!
Reply 958
Original post by .eXe
Im a graduate and I have interview already. They have been looking over graduate + international applications for about a month now (spoke with them via email).

Hope you guys get contacted soon!

when were you interviewed?
Reply 959
Original post by Jai Jai
when were you interviewed?

Have one coming up second week on Feb. Received invite a week and half ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending