The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
that was actually ok!!!!!
Reply 41
Original post by Deathberries
I did the first question in both section so question 1 and 3. You? I'm annoyed at the fact that on the way home after the paper I kept thinking up things I should have included in my designs, which were terrible and so I felt it didn't go very well, especially the second section in which I feel I didn't answer/draw etc very well. :/ How did everyone else find it?

i did the bicycle and the bubble machine - i LOVED doing the bubble machine
Reply 42
how many people at your schools took the exam...? we had 5 (including me) at our school
Reply 43
Original post by Deathberries
I did the first question in both section so question 1 and 3. You? I'm annoyed at the fact that on the way home after the paper I kept thinking up things I should have included in my designs, which were terrible and so I felt it didn't go very well, especially the second section in which I feel I didn't answer/draw etc very well. :/ How did everyone else find it?

Hard. Did the bike and bubble machine qus. So how did ur design work?
Reply 44
Original post by g.k.galloway
how many people at your schools took the exam...? we had 5 (including me) at our school

10 including me. How did ur bub machine work?
Reply 45
Original post by micboy
10 including me. How did ur bub machine work?

complex mix of high pressure liquid, recycling pumps and compressed air. had a removable tank for the liquid, portable rechargeable battery - all was contained in an injection moulded ABS case. it also had several exit points for the bubbles to make it more interesting!!
blue and yellow in colour with 'bubble effect' exterior (i like doing the what it looks like bit)
:smile:
you?
Reply 46
complex mix of high pressure liquid, recycling pumps and compressed air. had a removable tank for the liquid, portable rechargeable battery - all was contained in an injection moulded ABS case. it also had several exit points for the bubbles to make it more interesting!!
blue and yellow in colour with 'bubble effect' exterior (i like doing the what it looks like bit)
you?

wow you twoo had quite alot of people in your school taking it, it was just me who took the test and i chose the second question for both of them..ann what school do you lot go to????:biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by MDahir
wow you twoo had quite alot of people in your school taking it, it was just me who took the test and i chose the second question for both of them..ann what school do you lot go to????:biggrin:

bourne grammar school

you?
Reply 48
you?

I did a similar high pressure pump system, apart from mine was a rotating red and white polka dot toadstool casing - I got a bit carried away with the colouring :')
I hope we get marks for aesthetics, I love that part!
Reply 49
Original post by lornzicles
I did a similar high pressure pump system, apart from mine was a rotating red and white polka dot toadstool casing - I got a bit carried away with the colouring :')
I hope we get marks for aesthetics, I love that part!

SAMEEEE
i had a bubble effect exterior (blue) with 3 chutes for the bubbles (yellow)
the colouring part is definitely my favourite
Reply 50
SAMEEEE
i had a bubble effect exterior (blue) with 3 chutes for the bubbles (yellow)
the colouring part is definitely my favourite

I did three chutes as well! Our mechanical design sounds pretty much the same! My friend did a rotating wheel of five bubble wands which would dip in the liquid, so much simpler...
Reply 51
Original post by lornzicles
I did three chutes as well! Our mechanical design sounds pretty much the same! My friend did a rotating wheel of five bubble wands which would dip in the liquid, so much simpler...

fingers crossed then!!!

what did you put as ur first interview choice?
Reply 52
10 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was the only one and only found out cos my friends are doin it and they told me abt it. my teachers had forgot abt it which is pathetic... i did qu 1 & 3... they seemed the best! an dw both my friends who r doin it r girls :wink:
Reply 53
Original post by GwuanGwuan
10 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was the only one and only found out cos my friends are doin it and they told me abt it. my teachers had forgot abt it which is pathetic... i did qu 1 & 3... they seemed the best! an dw both my friends who r doin it r girls :wink:

cool! glad i'm not the only girl.
i did 1 and 3 also, loved creating the bubble machine!!!

there was five of us.. 10 is definately a lot!!

I am a current scholar. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by d4nny
I am a current scholar. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them :smile:

Hi everyone, I was the only one in my school that sat it lol, just waiting for the results now...

@d4nny , firstly congrats :biggrin: what type of stuff did you spend the money on?
Reply 56
Original post by d4nny

cool - what are you planning on doing in the future and what a-levels did you take? :smile:
Reply 57
The Arkwright's still going? Impressed.

Got mine yeeeeaaaaaars ago. Got to be honest, though, nice to get, but means squat to 99.9% of people - nobody knows what the hell it is. And that includes Engineering departments at universities...
Original post by tomfishh
@d4nny , firstly congrats :biggrin: what type of stuff did you spend the money on?

Thanks! Firstly I applied to do a Headstart course (http://www.etrust.org.uk/headstart/courses.cfm) which cost about £250. If I get a place, I later discovered that Arkwright will reimburse the cost of a Headstart course in addition to your scholarship :biggrin:. Other than that, I've spent quite a bit on books to make sure I'm well read for my university application. I'm also currently thinking of a project I could do in year 13 that could have the costs of materials etc payed for by my scholarship.

The scholarship has also provided something just as valuable in the form of my sponsor (Cobham Plc http://www.cobham.com/) for work experience and networking.

Good luck in the rest of your application! Let me know if you get an interview :smile:
cool - what are you planning on doing in the future and what a-levels did you take? :smile:

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm hoping to become either a mechanical or aerospace engineer. I plan to apply to Cambridge, Imperial College (where I had my Arkwright interview), Southampton, Warwick, and somewhere else that I haven't decided for university.

Good luck! I hope you get an interview (let me know if you do :smile:).

Latest

Trending

Trending