The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lordvulture
any americans out there?? how good exactly is UC berkerley, especially with a major in economics? ( I am primarily concerned about prestige and job opportunities) Is duke / Upenn liberal arts but probably major in econ better or LSE economics? I would also appreciate it ifvanyone who knows a good site/ place that i can find such information!!

uc berkerley is good, probably the same as doing econ at nott/durham at a push warwick.

duke is good perhaps the least reputable out of your list, however penn is amazing especially wharton but your more interests in econ then buss.

lse econ in the us is not for some strange reason as well respected as it is here (europe) or asia.

to be honest a degree from any makes little diff, however penn is a bit special like the same way we think ucl or lse is a bit special
Original post by lordvulture
any americans out there?? how good exactly is UC berkerley, especially with a major in economics? ( I am primarily concerned about prestige and job opportunities) Is duke / Upenn liberal arts but probably major in econ better or LSE economics? I would also appreciate it ifvanyone who knows a good site/ place that i can find such information!!

In the US only MIT, Harvard, Stanford and Chicago can be argued to be better than LSE for Economics.
Original post by alex_hk90
M1 a nightmare? I had to do M3. :s-smilie:

:L circular motion yay

It makes me sad when I can't balance out rep.

Original post by Tomatochuckers
From hardest to easiest IMO

S3
C4
C3
S2
S1
C2/FP1
D1
C1

Can't comment on D2

:fuhrer: and this too. I pretty much agree with this (I removed the units I didn't do)

ALSO, for those of you who haven't seen this
UCAS applications change
I do love a good old table of figures :love:
ABB offer from Nottingham for the A*AA course, its a bit of a joke of an offer :/
Original post by Purehakkai
ABB offer from Nottingham for the A*AA course, its a bit of a joke of an offer :/

I call bull****.

EDIT: A* early would make sense
(edited 12 years ago)

If you've already got an A* it'd make sense, but otherwise that's silly
Reply 8006
Original post by Acerbic
If you've already got an A* it'd make sense, but otherwise that's silly

That's probably it. In that case a lot of the guys who did their Maths A-level early have an "ABB" offer, with me being one of them.
Reply 8007

Congrats!

Still waiting to hear from Nottingham myself.
Conditions
This offer is subject to you obtaining

GCE A level
Grades AAA

Alternative conditions

GCE A level
Grades AABB

Alternative conditions

GCE A level
Grades AA

plus D3 in Cambridge Pre-U

Alternative conditions

GCE A level Grades ABB plus D3 in Cambridge Pre-U

And no I didn't take an A level early
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8009
Conditions
This offer is subject to you obtaining

GCE A level
Grades AAA

Alternative conditions

GCE A level
Grades AABB

Alternative conditions

GCE A level
Grades AA

plus D3 in Cambridge Pre-U

Alternative conditions

GCE A level Grades ABB plus D3 in Cambridge Pre-U

And no I didn't take an A level early

D3 in Cambridge Pre-U is equivalent to an A. So your offer is really the same as AABB.
Original post by zxh800
D3 in Cambridge Pre-U is equivalent to an A. So your offer is really the same as AABB.

My Pre-U was Global Perspectives. And geting a D2 in that was so much easier then getting an A in any of my A levels.
Reply 8011
My Pre-U was Global Perspectives. And geting a D2 in that was so much easier then getting an A in any of my A levels.

Fair enough.
Original post by WalkerPrince
In the US only MIT, Harvard, Stanford and Chicago can be argued to be better than LSE for Economics.

that's probably the case for postgraduates, but US universities offer a liberal arts education at undergraduate level, and the majority of the education is not centred on eventual major (probably economics), so its a bit like comparing apple and oranges, and ranking tables can only offer a very rough idea.

The only real thing I can draw upon for comparison is employability and prestige/ reputation. But I don't really know enough about the US environment :frown: A liberal arts education at Columbia/ Duke might well be far more attractive to employers (especially in America) than LSE econ graduates.
Original post by tans8701
uc berkerley is good, probably the same as doing econ at nott/durham at a push warwick.

duke is good perhaps the least reputable out of your list, however penn is amazing especially wharton but your more interests in econ then buss.

lse econ in the us is not for some strange reason as well respected as it is here (europe) or asia.

to be honest a degree from any makes little diff, however penn is a bit special like the same way we think ucl or lse is a bit special

Hey this is an interesting discussion...

what do you guys think about the global competitiveness of a UC Berkerley econ major vs a UCL econs grad? By competitiveness I mean being able to get interviews with major consulting firms and IBs. Let's assume ceteris paribus here haha.

I am under the impression that US is more reputable for economics than the UK?

That being said, I hope to be able to cross over to US for my master's after a getting a bachelors in economics from UCL..
Original post by pandapower

what do you guys think about the global competitiveness of a UC Berkerley econ major vs a UCL econs grad? By competitiveness I mean being able to get interviews with major consulting firms and IBs. Let's assume ceteris paribus here haha.

That being said, I hope to be able to cross over to US for my master's after a getting a bachelors in economics from UCL..

What most people seem to forget is that the US unis are famous for their postgraduate study. They have the best PHD and Master programmes in the world without a single doubt. But their undergraduate programmes are not better than the UK ones. I would even go so far and say that the UK has better undergraduate programmes. Berkeley for instance is really good for economics. But their economics department is not famous because of their undergraduate study. Their Master's programmes are just really good. With a Bsc economics from UCL you won't have problems securing interviews at big IBs and Consulting firms in London. Only if you want to live in the USA and work there I'd choose Berkeley over the UK. But that's due to different reasons. IBs in the US almost never recruit from European unis. They prefer home students even if they studied in Wisconsin but that's a different story :wink:
Original post by nightmare91
What most people seem to forget is that the US unis are famous for their postgraduate study. They have the best PHD and Master programmes in the world without a single doubt. But their undergraduate programmes are not better than the UK ones. I would even go so far and say that the UK has better undergraduate programmes. Berkeley for instance is really good for economics. But their economics department is not famous because of their undergraduate study. Their Master's programmes are just really good. With a Bsc economics from UCL you won't have problems securing interviews at big IBs and Consulting firms in London. Only if you want to live in the USA and work there I'd choose Berkeley over the UK. But that's due to different reasons. IBs in the US almost never recruit from European unis. They prefer home students even if they studied in Wisconsin but that's a different story :wink:

I do want to stay in america afterwards, but I plan to do an MBA in america before looking for work if I head to LSE. LSE i think is also more famous for its postgraduate economics than undergrad, so im not really sure what to decide! Oh well, I haven't even got into the american unis yet, can probably worry about that after getting the offer haha
Original post by pandapower

what nightmare says is true to an extent, i disagree ib's in us dont employee people from the euro look at fabrice tourre completed his undergrad degree in paris he is a brilliant ib'er and worked in the us successfully constucting the controversial abacus 10 model.
i agree though postgraduate is the one in the us, espically things such as the jd at harvard that is extremely prestigious to the extent i would say no other course compares not even ppe at oxford, the us has more one off prestigious courses and universities such as the mba from wharton, chicago and columbia for economics not to mention harvard or stanford, these universities have endowments greater than total gdp of small countries, nothing in the uk really compares you must remember population is key it is more likely infact a certaintity that the us has more intelligent people as a raw figure thus more prestigious institutions are needed, they have the ivy league (8 unis) we have oxbride (2unis) this is not to say they are all smart some are dumb very dumb indeed.
i would probably choose ucl econ over ucberkerley purely on basis of reputation albeit minimal, and if you really are a true ib'er you will get in with your talking coming from either university.
Original post by Mumin

which are decent offers however East Anglia was meant to be my back up (being advertised at BBB) so I am slightly screwed if I do not get my A's.

I honestly lost hope of being accepted to any decent university after my grades but it seems there is is always hope.

When I checked the advertisement for East Anglia it said ABB
Good luck, wish you all the best!
Reply 8018
Offer from Nottingham!

AAA or AABB

Absolutely thrilled, especially as it was my first choice, and I was feeling quite down after getting rejected from St Andrews last night, but so happy now!
Reply 8019
Original post by FDR
Offer from Nottingham!

AAA or AABB

Absolutely thrilled, especially as it was my first choice, and I was feeling quite down after getting rejected from St Andrews last night, but so happy now!

Well done :biggrin: Nice to see someone get their first choice!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending