The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Such an alpha pic.
Reply 7821
Bit out of proportion tho...
alpha? he has a gay hat on
Reply 7823
Bet Mikey's ****ing over this as we speak...
Weird day today.

Pussied out of first set of squats then hit more second set.

Then went for more on first set of bench, needed help and then only got singles afterwards. Ffs....

Also, trap bar weighs 20kg right?
I weighed the one at my gym today at 23kg. Wtf...
Original post by MHorman

Why would a trap bar necessarily weigh 20kg?
Original post by Smack
Why would a trap bar necessarily weigh 20kg?

I dunno, i always thought that they did.

23.5kg is a weird weight for a bar i thought. Means my lifts for this friday and last friday are 3kg or so higher than i thought though. :cool:
Reply 7828
Original post by MHorman

23.5kg is a weird weight for a bar i thought. Means my lifts for this friday and last friday are 3kg or so higher than i thought though. :cool:

Just think of it as 20kg though. The small bars in my gym are somewhere between 12-15kg but I just count them as 10kg. Easier.
Original post by MHorman

3 more weeks and i shall catch up to you on skwatzzzzzz! did 105 for 5 sets of 5 weren't too hard

also did bw+15kg dips for 3 sets of 10 ;P , took your idea for bench and increased the weight past 2-3 sessions getting how many ever reps from 1-3 range i can, gonna reset and see if i can get a 5rm next week.
Reply 7830
Original post by MHorman
Weird day today.

Pussied out of first set of squats then hit more second set.

Then went for more on first set of bench, needed help and then only got singles afterwards. Ffs....

The trap bar at my gym is 36kg. Came unstuck when I loaded it up having just assumed that it was around the 20/25kg mark; "why can't I lift this for 1 rep?"!
Original post by MHorman

If they've got to make a bar to certain dimensions then it's obviously going to weight a certain amount based on those dimensions, assuming homogeneous material (which it damned well should be). For example, you can't make a bar with the same material and dimensions as a standard barbell but only make it 5 or 10kg so lighter and less experienced lifters can use. The same applies to trap bars.
Original post by GQ.
Just think of it as 20kg though. The small bars in my gym are somewhere between 12-15kg but I just count them as 10kg. Easier.

Yea, will do, as i rarely use that bar anyway so it's no big deal.

Original post by Gallium
3 more weeks and i shall catch up to you on skwatzzzzzz! did 105 for 5 sets of 5 weren't too hard

also did bw+15kg dips for 3 sets of 10 ;P , took your idea for bench and increased the weight past 2-3 sessions getting how many ever reps from 1-3 range i can, gonna reset and see if i can get a 5rm next week.

You mean you'll catch up with me IF you put on the weight and manage it fine every workout without fail for the next 3 weeks. There's a large difference.

Nice dips man. What are you benching now?
Also, i still remember when i signed up and lifted less than most of the girls on her so i don't mind people catching me. What are your best lifts for 1RM then? I forgets...
Original post by AdaD
The trap bar at my gym is 36kg. Came unstuck when I loaded it up having just assumed that it was around the 20/25kg mark; "why can't I lift this for 1 rep?"!

That would suck man. Luckily i was using the slight raised handles so was going for hgiher weights anyway.

Original post by Smack
If they've got to make a bar to certain dimensions then it's obviously going to weight a certain amount based on those dimensions, assuming homogeneous material (which it damned well should be). For example, you can't make a bar with the same material and dimensions as a standard barbell but only make it 5 or 10kg so lighter and less experienced lifters can use. The same applies to trap bars.

I was thinking if you wanted to make a trap bar to certain dimensions/volume then you'd just use a slightly different alloy with less weight?
Which would have different material properties and prices too.
big powerlifting comp near me tomorrow, will be going to watch as know a few lifters

chris jenkins lifting too, he's incredible

if anyone is in south wales area come along :smile:
Original post by MHorman
Yea, will do, as i rarely use that bar anyway so it's no big deal.

You mean you'll catch up with me IF you put on the weight and manage it fine every workout without fail for the next 3 weeks. There's a large difference.

Nice dips man. What are you benching now?
Also, i still remember when i signed up and lifted less than most of the girls on her so i don't mind people catching me. What are your best lifts for 1RM then? I forgets...

the 105 for 5 sets of 5 is still not near my max was doing 115 for 5s before i reset+ improved form and more hamstring work I've put in should see me through to like 125ish.

bench is **** lol

1rm so far are 140/75/180..... all tested a while back tho, still got me beat when it comes to overall total.
I posted this in careers but thought that maybe some of you guys may be able to help:

I've got an assessment centre (AC) and interview this month for two companies that aren't my first choice ones. Ordinarily I'd go but I've got a busy month ahead and the travel will take up a fair chunk of my time (and one company won't even fully reimburse me either! Is this indicative of anything maybe?).

Obviously the more interview and assessment centre experience I can get the better. But I can easily get unlimited free interviews with my uni's careers service that won't use up a whole day's travelling and will give instant feedback. And I'm also extremely unlikely to get any of the jobs either.

I almost definitely will not get the one with the AC because I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it or the company whereas everyone else there will probably be willing to give their left testicle for a place.

I'm just not very sure... :redface:

And:

If (and this is a big if because as you can clearly see I'm not particularly enthusiastic about either of them) I was to get an offer I would delay responding for as long as possible but ultimately would accept if I wasn't to get anything from a first choice company.

It's not that either company is rubbish or anything - one's a FTSE top 30 and the other a dynamic new start up experiencing very fast growth - it's that one isn't particularly what I want to do and the other is in a pretty naff location compared to where I'm at now.

It's just a pity that such things don't work like UCAS where you get all of your offers first and then decide. :frown:

I'm a very indecisive person... does anyone think that the pros of more practice outweigh the cons of time wasted?
Reply 7838
Original post by Smack
I posted this in careers but thought that maybe some of you guys may be able to help:

I've got an assessment centre (AC) and interview this month for two companies that aren't my first choice ones. Ordinarily I'd go but I've got a busy month ahead and the travel will take up a fair chunk of my time (and one company won't even fully reimburse me either! Is this indicative of anything maybe?).

Obviously the more interview and assessment centre experience I can get the better. But I can easily get unlimited free interviews with my uni's careers service that won't use up a whole day's travelling and will give instant feedback. And I'm also extremely unlikely to get any of the jobs either.

I almost definitely will not get the one with the AC because I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it or the company whereas everyone else there will probably be willing to give their left testicle for a place.

I'm just not very sure... :redface:

And:

If (and this is a big if because as you can clearly see I'm not particularly enthusiastic about either of them) I was to get an offer I would delay responding for as long as possible but ultimately would accept if I wasn't to get anything from a first choice company.

It's not that either company is rubbish or anything - one's a FTSE top 30 and the other a dynamic new start up experiencing very fast growth - it's that one isn't particularly what I want to do and the other is in a pretty naff location compared to where I'm at now.

It's just a pity that such things don't work like UCAS where you get all of your offers first and then decide. :frown:

I'm a very indecisive person... does anyone think that the pros of more practice outweigh the cons of time wasted?

Given how long it took me to get a job, I'd say it's worth going. Extra practice can't hurt, and on the off chance you get an offer, it's always handy to have an offer to fall back on/to negotiate/already having an offer makes you more likely to get another one I think.
Original post by Gallium
the 105 for 5 sets of 5 is still not near my max was doing 115 for 5s before i reset+ improved form and more hamstring work I've put in should see me through to like 125ish.

bench is **** lol

1rm so far are 140/75/180..... all tested a while back tho, still got me beat when it comes to overall total.

Nice, think 115 for sets of 5 is the same as my best.
Been working on lower reps/high sets stuff recently.

Your max for squats is same and your deads is more. I need to work on my deads i reckon.

Latest