The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sumsum123
What do you mean it is removed? Why? :confused:

As in I have taken it down from the bookshelf to read :tongue:
a05aafzul
Thanks for reminding me, I sent off for that and still haven't received my reimbursement... hmmm lol

Last year it took a few months to arrive. A lovely (and unexpected) £100 cheque brightened up my day.
Thanks for reminding me, I sent off for that and still haven't received my reimbursement... hmmm lol

It normally takes a little over 3 weeks for expense claims, i'm still waiting for one myself :P I will add that 3 weeks is a minimum, but they will get it to you eventually..

That's weird... how many d'you reckon they'll interview out of the 800 (ish) applicants?

I don't know exactly but an educated guess would be to assume an average of 6 per session, so around 78-80, which really emphasises the point that getting an interview is a great achievement in itself. Something in your application they like so again well done.

Mild panic has now set in. The 'Medical School Interviews' book has now been removed from the bookshelf once again.

Personally I wouldn't recommend those sort of books. For one the interviewees have heard similar answers before, try and ensure that your response is unique to you. Also it's not impossible that the interviewees may have contributed to the book, they know it's answers they want yours. I would recommend having a general idea of how you would answer some of the 'typical' questions and just be aware of some stories in the news, but don't spend time rehearsing answers as you want to make it flow a bit more naturally in the interview. They won't be expecting an outstanding medical knowledge (after all you're going to medical school to learn that stuff) and they expect you to satisfy the academic requirements. Now they will be looking to see that you are the sort of person that will get along with others and who will fit in to university life.
Original post by NothingWorks

Personally I wouldn't recommend those sort of books. For one the interviewees have heard similar answers before, try and ensure that your response is unique to you. Also it's not impossible that the interviewees may have contributed to the book, they know it's answers they want yours. I would recommend having a general idea of how you would answer some of the 'typical' questions and just be aware of some stories in the news, but don't spend time rehearsing answers as you want to make it flow a bit more naturally in the interview. They won't be expecting an outstanding medical knowledge (after all you're going to medical school to learn that stuff) and they expect you to satisfy the academic requirements. Now they will be looking to see that you are the sort of person that will get along with others and who will fit in to university life.

I know exactly what you mean. The responses in the book are a bit robotic and rehearsed. I dont use the answers from the book, I tend to use it as a framework to build my own answers on. I find it really helpful. Especially for the tricky ethics-based questions.
In terms of the 'typical' question like "why medicine?" I have my own very personal reasons. So my interview answers are always my own.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah good, I know a few people who refered to the books a little too much.

As for the ethics based questions, always present both sides, even if you feel strongly in favour of one argument. Often there is no right or wrong answer, they're looking at the way you respond and justify your opinion.
Original post by sumsum123
Nicee one !!!! Well done :biggrin: , arr I am anxious to know what is happening with my application now :tongue: , I just wanna call them and ask " It is a rejection right? " :tongue: , sad times :frown:

Thank you :smile: And hang in there - you've lasted this long without a rejection, and that's a good thing and they're still giving out interviews :smile:

Original post by carl_senior
They rang me yesterday as well about 5ish, while i was out walking the dog. I was more giddy than the dog after she told me!!

A fellow northerner! Where aboots upnorth?

Haha, nice. I'm a Sheffielder so I don't live that far from thee lol
Original post by Ally312
I'm a Sheffielder so I don't live that far from thee lol

Sheffield? Tha's practically a southerner! You get away with it on the technicality that South yorkshire is still yorkshire :ahee:

EDIT: Do you talk like this? If so, you pass the test. Here
(edited 12 years ago)
Sheffield? Tha's practically a southerner! You get away with it on the technicality that South yorkshire is still yorkshire :ahee:

That girl's so cute! And my accents not that broad, but it's not far off lol :biggrin:
Reply 1708
It normally takes a little over 3 weeks for expense claims, i'm still waiting for one myself :P I will add that 3 weeks is a minimum, but they will get it to you eventually..

I don't know exactly but an educated guess would be to assume an average of 6 per session, so around 78-80, which really emphasises the point that getting an interview is a great achievement in itself. Something in your application they like so again well done.

Oh really? Only around 80people get an interview? Damn I thought it was like 200?

I had the Plusnet Broadband advert playing in my head whilst watching it...
Original post by mashalli
Oh really? Only around 80people get an interview? Damn I thought it was like 200?

I was thinking the same, surely it must be, I mean a fair few people on here seem to have them scheduled, and my interview had a variety of people present
Original post by a05aafzul

It's not that good but it still makes me laugh : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAD2GLfaNU

Good honest broadband, from yorkshire!

I was thinking the same, surely it must be, I mean a fair few people on here seem to have them scheduled, and my interview had a variety of people present

I was wondering about this too. Can anyone confirm??

Original post by Ally312
It's not that good but it still makes me laugh : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAD2GLfaNU

Love it! I think you pass the yorkshire-ness test :biggrin:
:lol:

I have such a boring accent. :frown:
Original post by Tzarchasm

Where's tha from lad?
I was wondering about this too. Can anyone confirm??

They also interview international students and graduate/mature non graduate students on the same day. I've helped at 3 out of 5 sessions so far and never seen more then 8 BM6 interviewed.
They also interview international students and graduate/mature non graduate students on the same day. I've helped at 3 out of 5 sessions so far and never seen more then 8 BM6 interviewed.

That's good enough for me. Around 80 interviewed in total. Don't know if that makes it less or more scary lol

EDIT: Why the Neg???
Edit: Again, why the neg?? What have i said in this post that could possibly offend??
(edited 12 years ago)
Where's tha from lad?

London.
As in I have taken it down from the bookshelf to read :tongue:

Ahahaha ! :tongue: , I was so confused at that comment :tongue: , kool ! :L
Original post by Tzarchasm

Same :tongue: , I want a really kool accent , hmph :L :cool:

Quick Reply