The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Someone should make a "Post your screenshots" thread. The one on xda is awesome
I'm not likeing the trend of losing proper buttons. I hate touchscreens and it just forces you to be more reliant on them.
Original post by itsmyname
Someone should make a "Post your screenshots" thread. The one on xda is awesome

Like this one: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1460112 :wink:
Reply 6803
hey OS users... i'm trying to find a decent android version of apples siri but none seem to be as good.... should i keep looking or buy an iphone as it seems to be a really useful feature
Original post by knowledge.messiah
hey OS users... i'm trying to find a decent android version of apples siri but none seem to be as good.... should i keep looking or buy an iphone as it seems to be a really useful feature

There are plenty in development at the moment, but none quite as fully featured as Siri (in the US at least - it ain't so good in the UK). Honestly though, I really wouldn't decide which OS to go with based on whether you can talk to it.
Reply 6805
Just got myself an HTC Sensation XE. Never used an Android device before, so still getting to grips with it. I'll likely just be keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes of learning a few things.
Original post by hobo06
Just got myself an HTC Sensation XE. Never used an Android device before, so still getting to grips with it. I'll likely just be keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes of learning a few things.

Enjoy it dude. Sense (the homescreens/widgets/app draw/some apps) is a pretty nice place to start on Android. :smile:
So anyone recommend 2 player games you can play with friends over the net via the phone? Preferably turn based.
I'm playing Words with Friends atm. Really good way to get multiple scrabble games on the go. Any other ones out there
Reply 6808
Original post by mikeyd85
Enjoy it dude. Sense (the homescreens/widgets/app draw/some apps) is a pretty nice place to start on Android. :smile:

I have had a look at all that, though the widgets seem somewhat limited. There isn't much in the 'Widgets from HTC Hub', and my BBC News widget seems to have stopped working over night. I deleted it, in the hope that reinstalling it will fix it, but it now doesn't appear to be in the widget list. Is there somewhere else widgets can be downloaded/installed from? Not really sure that I'm looking for anything in particular, just to browse :p:
Reply 6809
Original post by G8D
Anyone with a tablet: can you test the recent Google Docs update? It adds offline support, fancy telling me if it's any good? :smile:

Still useless imo. You can make docs available offline, but only for viewing (not editing). The online editing experience is slightly more bearable than it was; but it's still very obviously just opening a website in a frame.
Original post by G8D
:sad: oh well.

It doesn't make sense that it's so ****. Disappointed in Google.

If you want a good office program, download Kingsoft Office. Opens All Microsoft Offfice files perfectly and has a very nice Office 2007 style UI. Best of all it's Free (No ads either). Runs great on my Sony Tablet S.
(edited 12 years ago)

:sexface: Hope that runs Android when it comes out!
Original post by estel
Still useless imo. You can make docs available offline, but only for viewing (not editing). The online editing experience is slightly more bearable than it was; but it's still very obviously just opening a website in a frame.

Not surprising. Everything google make is half baked. It takes them many updates and improvements to get anywhere; just look at the stuff they've dropped over the years and how long it took Android to become decent.
Reply 6813
Original post by silent ninja
Not surprising. Everything google make is half baked. It takes them many updates and improvements to get anywhere; just look at the stuff they've dropped over the years and how long it took Android to become decent.

Gmail? Maps? Search? Docs in browsers?
Original post by estel

That's barely scratching the surface. Gmail had bugs, even now the occasional mail hanging in the Outbox is common. Maps still doesn't save UK maps locally, it caches only the tiles for your journey therefore lose 3G and you may be buggered (to be fair, this is probably a design choice by Googke). Android was so basic and ugly when it arrived initially (compared to iOS on Apple's first attempt, leagues apart).
Google Buzz? Google TV? There's a reason why they keep stuff in Beta for years, it's often half assed attempts. Google's UI across pretty much everything is mediocre. They've been described as the Jack of all trades and that's kinda true.
(edited 12 years ago)

That's barely scratching the surface. Gmail had bugs, even now the occasional mail hanging in the Outbox is common. Maps still doesn't save UK maps locally, it caches only the tiles for your journey therefore lose 3G and you may be buggered (to be fair, this is probably a design choice by Googke). Android was so basic and ugly when it arrived initially (compared to iOS on Apple's first attempt, leagues apart).
Google Buzz? Google TV? There's a reason why they keep stuff in Beta for years, it's often half assed attempts. Google's UI across pretty much everything is mediocre. They've been described as the Jack of all trades and that's kinda true.

It does seem they are trying to change it now though and that is only a good thing :smile:
Original post by estel

How long has its products been in beta for?
Reply 6817
Original post by FinalMH
How long has its products been in beta for?

Huh? Search has never been in beta.
Original post by estel
Huh? Search has never been in beta.

He beat me to it. Google are known for putting most of their products in beta, and if they don't go viral they push them aside.
Reply 6819

Original post by FinalMH
He beat me to it. Google are known for putting most of their products in beta, and if they don't go viral they push them aside.

My bad, but I don't think Search being in beta for less than a month back in 1998 has any bearing on a discussion about Google releasing software half-baked.

Latest