The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3680
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Manning gets a Corvette?!

Yep. (jelly).
Im no expert but that manningham catch looked the game changer to me. It would have been epic if they had got that touchdown though. I may follow american football, first half i was confused but second half i could see what and why people were doing stuff. Oh and Bradshaw is a BEAST. He was epic in that game. Plus he's my height but 50lbs heavier. I was like WTF?!?!?! That Pats made the touchdown before halftime look so simple. All in all american football looks like a lot of fun (if i gained a lot of weight lol)
Bradys crap passes just got me my bet of £100 . Go giants :wink:

On a more serious note, that was one of the most tense endings I've ever seen, was mental!
Got too pissed during the first half so I don't remember much of the second half till like late 4th quarter but the game was quite intense. Shame about some bad passes by Brady and a few stupid drops. ****ing Eli :frown:
Lol at all the Pats fans who were slating Eli and saying, "Eli who?" Great game, sucks that there's no NFL games until September. :/
I can't believe the Pats let them score, nor can I believe the Giants didn't want to score. People can go on about having more time to go down the field but before you let them score you're winning. The Giants kicking the field goal isn't a given. You could have a bad snap, the holder could mess up or the kicker could miss. I also think you have to back yourself to block it. Have some faith. Is it likely they would've kicked the field goal? Yes but it wasn't likely that the Pats would drive down the field either. If you're in the lead you have to do all you can to stay there.

Original post by Ishamo
Tbh Giants were lucky, Pats made some BIG drops!

Not really. Just means Pats didn't rise to the occasion. Giants produced it when they needed it. That's what champions do.
Original post by TheMagicRat

Not really. Just means Pats didn't rise to the occasion. Giants produced it when they needed it. That's what champions do.

Er, did you watch the game!? I was backing Giants, but Pats make ANY of those catches in the last 7ish minutes... game was over.

Giants dominated 1stQ disappeared for 2nd and 3rd, and rallied for the 4th, just. Great game though.
Original post by Ishamo
Er, did you watch the game!? I was backing Giants, but Pats make ANY of those catches in the last 7ish minutes... game was over.

Giants dominated 1stQ disappeared for 2nd and 3rd, and rallied for the 4th, just. Great game though.

At no point did I allude to who you wanted. I don't care who you wanted. I'm just saying they weren't lucky and I don't really care if they were.
At no point did I allude to who you wanted. I don't care who you wanted. I'm just saying they weren't lucky and I don't really care if they were.

So 2 drops and 1 out of bounds through on the final drive wasn't lucky? You don't know what you're talking about.
Original post by Ishamo
So 2 drops and 1 out of bounds through on the final drive wasn't lucky? You don't know what you're talking about.

In the sense that it was out of Giants control then yes but the point of the game is to make plays. Patriots didn't. Giants did. As a result the best team won. Were they lucky? Of course. Nobody wins without an element of luck.

At no point did I claim to know what I was talking about.
I'm just saying they weren't lucky

Were they lucky? Of course.

:facepalm:
Original post by Ishamo
:facepalm:

"Were they lucky? Of course." was meant to refer to the season as a whole.

Also it's a bit cruel to neg someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm only trying to join in the conversation.
Reply 3692
Is it likely they would've kicked the field goal? Yes but it wasn't likely that the Pats would drive down the field either. If you're in the lead you have to do all you can to stay there.

Look what brady did at the end of the first half. He is best with no time, the chance of them getting down the field was pretty high. They just messed up.
Calm the **** down bitches. The Giants got a bit lucky, Welker, Branch and Hernandez dropped some important passes that should've been completions but that's also cause Brady faced some pressure (****ing Pierre-Paul and Umenyiora... is that how it's spelt?). Generally Brady didn't have a great game. The Giants were better and they won.
To be honest, the Patriots just didn't execute like the Giants did. Besides, it's not as if the Giants didn't have drops either and messed up plays either, we just don't mention them because they won, but I can think of a couple. Their offense largely outsmarted the Pats' defense, something I didn't think would really happen at all, even if it was a good offense to start with.
Original post by CJN
Look what brady did at the end of the first half. He is best with no time, the chance of them getting down the field was pretty high. They just messed up.

I'm not sure I'd say it was pretty high and certainly not against a great clutch defence like the Giants. The problem is the same either way. You let them score you have to back yourself to drive down the field or you have to back yourself to block the field goal. I would always want to be in the lead. Perhaps even more ridiculous is that Bradshaw wanted to stop. You can't turn down the chance to score and if they had I would've been really disappointed. I know the aim is to win by any legal means but what both teams tried to do last night may have gone against the spirit of the game.
I can't believe the Pats let them score, nor can I believe the Giants didn't want to score. People can go on about having more time to go down the field but before you let them score you're winning. The Giants kicking the field goal isn't a given. You could have a bad snap, the holder could mess up or the kicker could miss. I also think you have to back yourself to block it. Have some faith. Is it likely they would've kicked the field goal? Yes but it wasn't likely that the Pats would drive down the field either. If you're in the lead you have to do all you can to stay there.

You are kidding me? Of course the Pats let them score, and of course the Giants would rather have not scored. The field goal was a chip shot, 20-25 yards out max. Patriots played the percentage game and the Giants also understood. If they didn't let the Giants score, the Giants could run the clock down to 20 seconds and the clock would probably be down to 15 seconds by the time the Giants had gone ahead. No chance for the Pats to even get a field goal.

Or they could let them score, and have 1 min plus 2 timeouts to get down the field. A much better situation. Packers did exactly the same thing against the Broncos in 98 or 99.

IMO there were some big mistakes by the Pats. Gronkowski was nowhere near healthy (if he was I reckon the Patriots would have won). The worst was Welker's drop. Regulation catch for him, had he made it the Patriots would have won, simple as that.
Brady at the end of the 2nd quarter and start of the 3rd was magnificent with those 2 drives. That 96 yard drive is the sort that would go down in history had the Pats won. He just didn't show up in the rest of the half though. I honestly think that the Pats outplayed the Giants overall, the Giants just executed on the key plays. And to be fair that is what champions do, so credit where its due to Eli and the Giants. I do believe though that a fully fit Gronk and fewer drops would have seen the Pats destroy the Giants.

Funny who it is a game of inches though. Had the Pats won it (did get very close with the Hail Mary), Brady would be hailed as maybe the best ever. But they lost, and people are saying that he is past it and doesn't show up in big games.

I actually feel really sorry for Brady, looked so dejected after the game. Just think about it. If it weren't for 2 plays (Tyree and Welker drop/Manningham catch) he would have 5 rings and 5 super bowl MVPs. Unbelievable.

I hope he can come back next season and use this as even more motivation. NE could be very strong next year, young team, defence gelling. I think Brady needs to get the chip back on his shoulder, needs to get angry. When he was at his best, people were underestimating him, not believing he could do it. Well I believe the same is true now with people doubting his big game ability and wondering whether he is past it. CMON BRADY!!!
Gronk was no where near healthy if he was the giants were in trouble, I even felt he could have done more with the last play when he just missed out on catching it he seemed really slow to react but it might just me. Welker makes that catch 100 times out of 100. Hernandez dropped it and so did Branch. Any of them would have been key yet they just didnt step up to clutch. It really annoyed me though the Giants fans saying they deserved it and won it easily. Patriots made to many mistakes yet kept it close and had Gronkowski been atleast 70 percent the giants would have been torched. But props to the Giants and congratulations to them Eli stepped up big.
Reply 3698
Did anyone else get tickets to the match in October :h:
Original post by fudgesundae
You are kidding me? Of course the Pats let them score, and of course the Giants would rather have not scored. The field goal was a chip shot, 20-25 yards out max. Patriots played the percentage game and the Giants also understood. If they didn't let the Giants score, the Giants could run the clock down to 20 seconds and the clock would probably be down to 15 seconds by the time the Giants had gone ahead. No chance for the Pats to even get a field goal.

Or they could let them score, and have 1 min plus 2 timeouts to get down the field. A much better situation. Packers did exactly the same thing against the Broncos in 98 or 99.

I understand why they did it but the fact that it's been done before doesn't make it right. Force them to kick the field goal to win the game. Put all the pressure on them. 20-25 yard field goals aren't a given when the Super Bowl is on the line.

Latest