The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by kog
Sounds good, i've got an offer from Oxford brookes as well (dont know when im visiting there though, waiting for my invite), and Queen Mary University of London, but i don'tknow whether to make QMUL my firm and either Reading or Brookes as insurance, or Reading as firm, with Brookes as insurance.

Can't wait to visit the uni's though, glad to hear Reading sounds so interesting (I live 7+ hours from all these unis, so i'm a bit out of touch from the area :P)

I wouldn't worry! - I'm around 2 hours from door to door to Reading..

Oooo, I've visited all three of those uni's.. My close mate is at QMUL, I visited brookes because I applied there and obviously Reading because I applied there as well :smile:

QMUL is a REALLY good university for teaching and for science subjects, some ultra clever people even get transfers to do Medicine at BARTS which is their like 'sister' university for med and dent... However, the area QM is in.. Is simply appalling. I would not advise walking back to your halls anytime past 9pm.. Its around the mile end/stepney green area.. Which isn't very nice.. So its up to you .. Personally for teaching etc.. QM is probably the best out of the 3.. BUT the area is disgusting and being an Indian person myself.. I will be honest in saying - it is FULL of indians ahaha.. :') Then again.. from QM you can get a tube for 15minutes and be in the centre of London where there is millions of shops/clubs/bars etc..

After visiting Brookes.. I was interested.. As its a very calm and nice place to be, however, it seemed very 'dull'.. The open day wasn't half as organised as Reading's was.. Reading had everything extremely prearranged and planned and set out at specific times and these times were followed so it was easy know exactly what was next & where you were going etc.. Brookes itself I didn't personally like.. BUT the city of Oxford is amazing.. Packed full of students and things to do!

After seeing now both Reading/Brookes - I will be definitely applying at Reading - but maybe not brookes!

What grades did each of your uni's ask you for?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 561
Original post by i Pav i
I wouldn't worry! - I'm around 2 hours from door to door to Reading..

Oooo, I've visited all three of those uni's.. My close mate is at QMUL, I visited brookes because I applied there and obviously Reading because I applied there as well :smile:

QMUL is a REALLY good university for teaching and for science subjects, some ultra clever people even get transfers to do Medicine at BARTS which is their like 'sister' university for med and dent... However, the area QM is in.. Is simply appalling. I would not advise walking back to your halls anytime past 9pm.. Its around the mile end/stepney green area.. Which isn't very nice.. So its up to you .. Personally for teaching etc.. QM is probably the best out of the 3.. BUT the area is disgusting and being an Indian person myself.. I will be honest in saying - it is FULL of indians ahaha.. :') Then again.. from QM you can get a tube for 15minutes and be in the centre of London where there is millions of shops/clubs/bars etc..

After visiting Brookes.. I was interested.. As its a very calm and nice place to be, however, it seemed very 'dull'.. The open day wasn't half as organised as Reading's was.. Reading had everything extremely prearranged and planned and set out at specific times and these times were followed so it was easy know exactly what was next & where you were going etc.. Brookes itself I didn't personally like.. BUT the city of Oxford is amazing.. Packed full of students and things to do!

After seeing now both Reading/Brookes - I will be definitely applying at Reading - but maybe not brookes!

What grades did each of your uni's ask you for?

I'm predicted BCC (but i resat two summer modules i effed up) with a C at AS physics as well, and doing the welsh bacc, so BCCc+Welsh Bacc.

However during my jan exams 3 weeks back, i've got special circumstances, as my mum was put on life support and we were told by the doctors she would almost certainly die over night, she showed them and survived, just spent 10 days in intensive care, and is still recovering now, we're told it'll be a long process, but not many survive full blood poisoning that lead to multiple organ failure of nearly all organs, so she's quite the fighter you could say

My offers are;
Brookes:CC+Welsh Bacc
Reading:320 UCAS points, including Physics AS level, but has to have B in biology and Chemistry
QMUL:AAB (lucky to have gotten an offer tbh), with A in Biology, and AB in chem or maths, in any order.

However i know i can't get AAB now, as i'll be resitting my exams in summer, meaning i'll have 9 exams in summer, will the university's be fair on me with my cirumcstances, do you think?

I thought QMUL would be quite a `black area` (not racist, just easiest way of phrasing it!), on their prospectus it showed all races mixing etc, does this really happen? can't help but think all colours/races will stick to their own groups to relate eaier, hoping that isn't the case at any uni i go to.

I wasn't expecting the area of QMUL to be so bad though? i'd have thought KCL would be worse, being south of the river. or "shudder" London Met. Do you have any idea whats the cost of living around the area compared to other areas of London? i'm not gonna have enough time to get a proper sweep of the area.

thanks for all your help though, it's gotten be a bit more excited to visit these places now! :biggrin:
Reply 562
Got an interview on Wednesday for Film and Theatre. Looking forward to it - the new building looks brilliant.
Reply 563
What HALLS are people applying for? :smile:
Reply 564
Original post by i Pav i
What HALLS are people applying for? :smile:

St Pat's :smile: Yourself?
Reply 565
did anyone get an offer for law?? i got AAB :P
Original post by nadeen94
did anyone get an offer for law?? i got AAB :P

yeah had an offer for law with legal studies in europe AAB :biggrin: have you been/going to any of the law open days? :smile:
Reply 567
Original post by paddy__power
x

I have some questions :smile: (offer holder for Philosophy with English Literature)

I've seen that quite a few other people who have conditional offers from Reading received them post-interview, I received a conditional offer without being asked to an interview though... Are there specific courses that you have to be interviewed for, or is it all a bit random?

I've heard that Reading have increased quite a lot of their entry requirements, does anyone have any idea of what the requirements were for my course (or one similar) in 2011/2010?

My offer is ABB, I was wondering how lenient they might be if I received AAC/ABC. Are there any stories of people who achieved lower grades but were still accepted? I thought that since the entry requirements have only been recently raised, they may not be so harsh...

Thank you!
Original post by Liam_G
I have some questions :smile: (offer holder for Philosophy with English Literature)

I've seen that quite a few other people who have conditional offers from Reading received them post-interview, I received a conditional offer without being asked to an interview though... Are there specific courses that you have to be interviewed for, or is it all a bit random?

I've heard that Reading have increased quite a lot of their entry requirements, does anyone have any idea of what the requirements were for my course (or one similar) in 2011/2010?

My offer is ABB, I was wondering how lenient they might be if I received AAC/ABC. Are there any stories of people who achieved lower grades but were still accepted? I thought that since the entry requirements have only been recently raised, they may not be so harsh...

Thank you!

1) It is up to them really but AFAIK they do not interview for your subjects as a matter of policy.
2) I believe, if I remember correctly, that is was 320 points from three A levels or 340 from three and one AS. In any case it won't have much different, if at all different, than it is now.
3) Many people do and many people don't get accepted if they miss the offer. It depends on many things and it will depend on what the situation is when they have all of the results. If you miss the offer but have compensated otherwise (by doing very well in the relevant subject[s]) then this can also be helpful.
Reply 569
[QUOTE="paddy__power;36252867"]1) It is up to them really but AFAIK they do not interview for your subjects as a matter of policy.
2) I believe, if I remember correctly, that is was 320 points from three A levels or 340 from three and one AS. In any case it won't have much different, if at all different, than it is now.
3) Many people do and many people don't get accepted if they miss the offer. It depends on many things and it will depend on what the situation is when they have all of the results. If you miss the offer but have compensated otherwise (by doing very well in the relevant subject:):

Thank you :smile: The A-level I'm most worried about is my Maths, which isn't relevant to my course, so that might work in my favour :s:

I have a horrible feeling I'll end up with ABC/BBB :afraid: But I'm going to try my hardest no to. I desperately want to go to Reading :woo:
Original post by Liam_G
Thank you :smile: The A-level I'm most worried about is my Maths, which isn't relevant to my course, so that might work in my favour :s:

I have a horrible feeling I'll end up with ABC/BBB :afraid: But I'm going to try my hardest no to. I desperately want to go to Reading :woo:

All you can do is your best :smile:
Reply 571
Original post by drowners
I hope you hear soon!!! :biggrin:
yeah 80 is a C, but they want two alevels, so 2 Es XD The more I think about it, the more Reading seems the best choice! The only bad side is that apparently the facilities are bad(i only saw it during exhibition).. But am I really going to want to do stuff like screen printing ect.? good luck!!

Wooahh, that offer is pretty much unconditional, hahaha! They must have loved your portfolio!
Tbh, I'm not worrying that much about facilities - Reading (according to the Guardian) is 6th for Art and Design in the UK, and it's course sounds perfect, especially for an A level student who doesn't want to go down the foundation year route! Oh, and it also got the most beautiful campus award a while ago too, which is always a bonus! Andddd its a campus uni in a town, which is great for a 'community' feel, but, its close to London, so it's easy to get to a big city fast for internships, exhibitions and for having fun :smile:

I must sound like an advertising company or something, hehe, but those are the reasons why I'm sooooo keen on Reading!
..... oh, and Plymouths cool too.
I think you can tell which uni I would choose! :wink:
I hope I get an offer soon too, I'll tell you when I hear from them!
Reply 572
Original post by KT9
St Pat's :smile: Yourself?

ST PATS is full of Rah's isn't it :P - me it has to be MACKINDER YES SON. looool!
Reply 573
Original post by alextee93

Original post by alextee93
Is anyone applying for animal science? I accepted Reading as my firm :smile:

Yes :smile: got an unconditional offer, going to accept as firm :smile:
Reply 574
Anyone applied for animal science? :smile:
Reply 575
Original post by L - Jilla94

Original post by L - Jilla94
yeah had an offer for law with legal studies in europe AAB :biggrin: have you been/going to any of the law open days? :smile:

no i cnt go :frown: im over seas so getting a visa and stuff is hard to get on short notice :P
Reply 576
DOES ANYONE know the chances of being accepted into your main halls if you insurance it.. Like what are the most popular halls..?

If I insure Reading is there little chance of being accepted into MACKINDER or STENTON OR townhouses etc...
Reply 577
Original post by i Pav i
DOES ANYONE know the chances of being accepted into your main halls if you insurance it.. Like what are the most popular halls..?

If I insure Reading is there little chance of being accepted into MACKINDER or STENTON OR townhouses etc...

at an Open Day last week I was told that it's unlikely to get a place at the more popular halls e.g. Mackinder & Stenton if you insure Reading. one final year student I spoke to was even placed with a host family for her first couple of months. there is a lot more accommodation now than then so a place in Halls is expected but very unlikely to have much choice
Reply 578
Original post by Randomized
The most popular hall is Wessex, then its those 2. You have no chance of getting a spot in either of these halls unless you firmed and even then its not guarenteed.

If Reading is your insurance you won't have much choice tbh, i had **** all to choose from last year. I think there was only Sibly and Bulmershe left. You can ask to move halls though, i did this after a few weeks because the hall they put me in was quite a depressing environment to live in. Loads of people drop out (eg. a guy i lived with dropped out after ONE DAY) and you can get their room. I ended up in Wessex so there's no reason why someone couldn't get a room in one of those two.

Moving into halls late does make it 100 times harder to meet people as everyone is nicely settled in their groups, but if a slightly shy/awkward person like me can find a nice group of friends anyone can :tongue:

I LOVE Mackinder.. & theres new halls called - Stenton Townhouses.. which look absolutely insane! - like wow!
I might just consider firming Reading then..

I'd rather be pissed off with myself for applying to a BBB course and getting ABB and ending up in the BBB place because I firmed it and have the accommodation I want.. RATHER than Insuring Reading and slipping and not getting my firm and end up at Reading with **** accom.. ? If you get me?
Reply 579
Original post by i Pav i
I LOVE Mackinder.. & theres new halls called - Stenton Townhouses.. which look absolutely insane! - like wow!
I might just consider firming Reading then..

I'd rather be pissed off with myself for applying to a BBB course and getting ABB and ending up in the BBB place because I firmed it and have the accommodation I want.. RATHER than Insuring Reading and slipping and not getting my firm and end up at Reading with **** accom.. ? If you get me?

Would it not be better to firm the higher course? Im sure there will be nice halls there too!

Latest