The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3700
That half-time show with Madonna had some crazy Illuminati references in there.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I understand why they did it but the fact that it's been done before doesn't make it right. Force them to kick the field goal to win the game. Put all the pressure on them. 20-25 yard field goals aren't a given when the Super Bowl is on the line.

Its playing the percentages. The Giants are a hell of a lot more likely to kick the field goal than miss it. If they kick it? Game over, no timeouts 15 seconds left.

Or you let them have a TD, 1 timeout plus 1 minute to drive down the field, tough but not impossible.

Realistically do you think that there was more chance of Tynes missing the field than Brady being able to drive his team down the field? Anytime, anywhere I would rather rely on Brady than rely on ANY NFL kicker missing a 20 yard field goal. Tynes has not missed from 20-29 yards in the last 2 seasons, and only missed 3 times in his career from that range with over 65 attempts (and those misses were probably in bad weather, not in a dome).
Original post by fudgesundae
Its playing the percentages. The Giants are a hell of a lot more likely to kick the field goal than miss it. If they kick it? Game over, no timeouts 15 seconds left.

Or you let them have a TD, 1 timeout plus 1 minute to drive down the field, tough but not impossible.

Realistically do you think that there was more chance of Tynes missing the field than Brady being able to drive his team down the field? Anytime, anywhere I would rather rely on Brady than rely on ANY NFL kicker missing a 20 yard field goal. Tynes has not missed from 20-29 yards in the last 2 seasons, and only missed 3 times in his career from that range with over 65 attempts (and those misses were probably in bad weather, not in a dome).

I don't think either was very likely and I would want to be in the lead. I'm more than happy to agree to disagree though. Looking elsewhere on the net I'm clearly in the minority on this issue but I do think both sides brought the game into disrepute. Letting your opponent score and trying not to score is ridiculous.
Not as ridiculous as not trying to win the Superbowl.
I actually feel really sorry for Brady, looked so dejected after the game. Just think about it. If it weren't for 2 plays (Tyree and Welker drop/Manningham catch) he would have 5 rings and 5 super bowl MVPs. Unbelievable.

I hope he can come back next season and use this as even more motivation. NE could be very strong next year, young team, defence gelling. I think Brady needs to get the chip back on his shoulder, needs to get angry. When he was at his best, people were underestimating him, not believing he could do it. Well I believe the same is true now with people doubting his big game ability and wondering whether he is past it. CMON BRADY!!!

I agree. Apart from the interception that he didn't need to throw, he didn't do much wrong. He was apparently so disconsolate after the game he sat for half hour in the locker room staring at the floor. That's the reason I chose to support the Patriots way back in 2006, not because they were a winning team but because I could identify with the drive and ambition shown by their quarterback, his never say die attitude and seeing how hard he is on himself in the face of defeat.
There wasn't a whole lot more he could do towards the end, he hit nearly every one of his receivers and they let him down, I still can't believe Welker put down that catch. 99 times out of 100, in that much space and under no pressure, he'd reel that one in. Maybe the occasion got to him.

As you say, I hope the Pats will come back stronger next season and I can actually see them win a Superbowl, I missed all the others!
I don't think either was very likely and I would want to be in the lead. I'm more than happy to agree to disagree though. Looking elsewhere on the net I'm clearly in the minority on this issue but I do think both sides brought the game into disrepute. Letting your opponent score and trying not to score is ridiculous.

So is giving up on winning the game. Which is what the Pats would have been doing had they let New York run down the clock and kick the field goal. Not really bringing the game into disrepute. Why would you want to be in the lead when there is a 98% chance (Tyne's field % from that yardage) you will lose the game. Therefore what you are saying is that the chance of Brady taking NE down the field is less than 2%.

Original post by The Troll Toll
Not as ridiculous as not trying to win the Superbowl.

This, both teams should be doing whatever they can to win the Super Bowl.

Although I still believe the Pats left it too long. There was a point with 1:30 remaining and 2 timeouts where the patriots could have let the Giants score. Would have been plenty of time then for Brady to cement his legacy.
Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
I agree. Apart from the interception that he didn't need to throw, he didn't do much wrong. He was apparently so disconsolate after the game he sat for half hour in the locker room staring at the floor. That's the reason I chose to support the Patriots way back in 2006, not because they were a winning team but because I could identify with the drive and ambition shown by their quarterback, his never say die attitude and seeing how hard he is on himself in the face of defeat.
There wasn't a whole lot more he could do towards the end, he hit nearly every one of his receivers and they let him down, I still can't believe Welker put down that catch. 99 times out of 100, in that much space and under no pressure, he'd reel that one in. Maybe the occasion got to him.

As you say, I hope the Pats will come back stronger next season and I can actually see them win a Superbowl, I missed all the others!

Its annoying the people saying Giants deserved it cause in all honesty had patriots not messed up the game would have been a massecre and a patriots win. Apart from the throw he put no foot wrong.

Agreed. I would say the interception (which was just too under thrown) and the safety were his big mistakes. Apart from that he had an MVP calibre game.

I also love Brady's drive and determination, made me feel genuinely sorry for him when I heard about him sitting in the locker room for a half hour at the end.

Pats have got a good chance next year. 2 1st round and 2 2nd round draft picks. Maybe 1 or 2 new free agents. Could be a very dominant team. I reckon Brady still has 4-5 more years in him and with Gronk and Hernandez, I reckon he could get to at least 2 more SBs.
Original post by johnharris19944
Its annoying the people saying Giants deserved it cause in all honesty had patriots not messed up the game would have been a massecre and a patriots win. Apart from the throw he put no foot wrong.

Yeh again I agree, but you can only play what's in front of you and you have to hand it to Manning, he came up with some big plays at the right times whereas the Pats choked.
So is giving up on winning the game. Which is what the Pats would have been doing had they let New York run down the clock and kick the field goal. Not really bringing the game into disrepute. Why would you want to be in the lead when there is a 98% chance (Tyne's field % from that yardage) you will lose the game. Therefore what you are saying is that the chance of Brady taking NE down the field is less than 2%.

Those stats mean nothing when you go out to kick, especially with the Super Bowl on the line. Blocking a field goal or expecting a miss is rare from that range so I can, to a certain degree, excuse the Pats let them score but I can't see a reason why Bradshaw wanted to stop. He's there, he's got guaranteed points to go into the lead. You have to take them. The field goal isn't guaranteed. Giving Brady more time isn't ideal but going into the lead is. You have to score and you have to back your defence to stop them. Cecil Martin is just about the only guy that was talking any sense with regards to Bradshaw having to score.
(edited 12 years ago)
Agreed. I would say the interception (which was just too under thrown) and the safety were his big mistakes. Apart from that he had an MVP calibre game.

I also love Brady's drive and determination, made me feel genuinely sorry for him when I heard about him sitting in the locker room for a half hour at the end.

Pats have got a good chance next year. 2 1st round and 2 2nd round draft picks. Maybe 1 or 2 new free agents. Could be a very dominant team. I reckon Brady still has 4-5 more years in him and with Gronk and Hernandez, I reckon he could get to at least 2 more SBs.

hmmm, I think perhaps sometimes that's part of his problem, he tries too hard, he wants every play to be perfect. The standards he sets for himself are sky high and although I admire that, maybe he needs to accept he will make mistakes. I don't really know.

I reckon he's certainly got at least 3 seasons left maybe more if he can still take the hits. Is he ever likely to leave the Patriots?
Those stats mean nothing when you go out to kick, especially with the Super Bowl on the line. Blocking a field goal or expecting a miss is rare from that range so I can, to a certain degree, excuse the Pats let them score but I can't see a reason why Bradshaw wanted to stop. He's there, he's got guaranteed points to go into the lead. You have to take them. The field goal isn't guaranteed. Giving Brady more time isn't ideal but going into the lead is. You have to score and you have to back your defence to stop them. Cecil Martin is just about the only guy that was talking any sense with regards to Bradshaw having to score.

And by the same admission, the Patriots must have let him score and put their faith in their offence. It makes sense for the Pats to let them score because their fate is then back in their own hands, rather than relying on a top class goal kicker missing from close range.
And by the same admission, the Patriots must have let him score and put their faith in their offence. It makes sense for the Pats to let them score because their fate is then back in their own hands, rather than relying on a top class goal kicker missing from close range.

Indeed. Sound reasoning.

I do see what you mean about the points guaranteed. But New England needed to give their offence (which is by far the best part of our team) a proper chance to try and win the game. The numbers do mean something. Essentially if they let New York run the clock down, they believe that there is a less than 2% chance of Brady being able to take them down the field. Super Bowl or no Super Bowl, that kick in a dome will be made at least 95 times out of 100. Basically you are hoping for a near miracle for them to miss. Of course anything can happen, but the chance of them missing is much much smaller than possibility that Brady can go win the game.

Brady has also always said, he would rather be behind with the ball, than ahead without it.

hmmm, I think perhaps sometimes that's part of his problem, he tries too hard, he wants every play to be perfect. The standards he sets for himself are sky high and although I admire that, maybe he needs to accept he will make mistakes. I don't really know.

I reckon he's certainly got at least 3 seasons left maybe more if he can still take the hits. Is he ever likely to leave the Patriots?

Yeh true. I doubt he will ever leave the Patriots (bar a massive season/career ending injury like Peyton Manning's)
Brady has also always said, he would rather be behind with the ball, than ahead without it.

I imagine he says that because he would actually be on the field so he could actually influence the game. Obviously he can't do that when the defence is on the field. And that mentality is understandable. Nobody likes feeling like they can't do anything about a situation.

I would always prefer to be ahead and back my defence to do what they train to do. Defend.
I hate my life.
Original post by TableClock
Brady lost the game. He made several awful decisions.

Wrong. Our receivers not catching the ball lost us the game.
I imagine he says that because he would actually be on the field so he could actually influence the game. Obviously he can't do that when the defence is on the field. And that mentality is understandable. Nobody likes feeling like they can't do anything about a situation.

I would always prefer to be ahead and back my defence to do what they train to do. Defend.

Even when the defence is the weak link in the team and the offence is one of the best in the league with Brady at QB? You have to look at the other team as well. Eli is a clutch, elite QB.

Thing is in that situation, it doesn't matter how much you back your defence. They were already in easy field goal range, and stopping them getting a TD would mean nothing. Either way they kick the FG to take the lead.
Reply 3718
Original post by The Patriot
Wrong. Our receivers not catching the ball lost us the game.

Harsh isnt it ? The Gronk one you wouldnt back him on the ankle when he hasnt looked with it all game to win the jump ball, the Welker one wasn't right on the money by any means either, I wouldnt really blame anyone in particular and then I think hernandez had 1 drop as well but that was on the desperation drive with 0:54 on the clock or whatever which was improbable to lead to the required touchdown anyway
Even when the defence is the weak link in the team and the offence is one of the best in the league with Brady at QB? You have to look at the other team as well. Eli is a clutch, elite QB.

Thing is in that situation, it doesn't matter how much you back your defence. They were already in easy field goal range, and stopping them getting a TD would mean nothing. Either way they kick the FG to take the lead.

I'm talking in general now, not just the context of this game. Of course you look at your opponents and you look at your own defence but even if your defence was rubbish you can't be scared of them going out there and doing what they're supposed to be able to do.

I would also like to say that some people here are going on about the receivers for the Pats but with regards to the Welker drop, I think it was a pretty difficult catch to make. It was behind him and he was spinning as he tried to catch it. For someone of his quality he should have caught it but it was far from easy.

Latest