The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Patriot
Hi :smile:

I looked through the TSR groups and couldn't find one on American Football and so wondered if anybody was interested in joining one if I created one.
Perhaps 'The TSR NFL Society', or something along those lines...

Furthermore not many people (comparatively to football/rugby etc) know much about the NFL in the UK, and lots of people call it a 'poofs sport' because of the pads. So if anybody wants to know more or chat/talk smack about the NFL then feel free.

Any shout outs to your favourite team are welcome.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS <3

EDIT: The Social Group is here. Join if you are interested. Other American Football related threads will be added soon.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1167

hi, cant be asked to read all this thread, but wanted to know more about it, like what does 1st and 10 and 1st 11 mean? why do they celebrate when they go out of bounds? and how many plays can they play before it has to be passed to the opposition?
Original post by hasan4life
hi, cant be asked to read all this thread, but wanted to know more about it, like what does 1st and 10 and 1st 11 mean? why do they celebrate when they go out of bounds? and how many plays can they play before it has to be passed to the opposition?

:facepalm:

'...can't be ARSED*...'

why do so many legions of people make this mistake?
Original post by Barden
:facepalm:

'...can't be ARSED*...'

why do so many legions of people make this mistake?

i dont knw lol, just prefer saying that :dontknow:
can u answer my question :sly:

Basically every offense has 4 opportunities to gain 10 yards. These opportunities are called downs. If they gain 3 yards on 1st down (their first shot at it) it becomes 2nd and 7 because it's their 2nd chance and they have to get 7 yards before the downs can be reset and they then have to gain another 10 yards whilst further up the field.

If they fail to gain enough yards in these downs, then the opposition gets the ball where the ball was spotted. However usually if too far away from the endzone to go for a field goal (3 points) at the very least on 4th down, teams punt it away to give the opposition's offense further to go. Hope that helps. Sorry if that's a bit of a convoluted explanation, but it'll make sense when you next a game. (hopefully :biggrin:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Basically every offense has 4 opportunities to gain 10 yards. These opportunities are called downs. If they gain 3 yards on 1st down (their first shot at it) it becomes 2nd and 7 because it's their 2nd chance and they have to get 7 yards before the downs can be reset and they then have to gain another 10 yards whilst further up the field.

If they fail to gain enough yards in these downs, then the opposition gets the ball where the ball was spotted. However usually if too far away from the endzone to go for a field goal (3 points) at the very least on 4th down, teams punt it away to give the opposition's offense further to go. Hope that helps. Sorry if that's a bit of a convoluted explanation, but it'll make sense when you next a game. (hopefully :biggrin:)

cool thanks, yh i get it nw :woo: a lil confusing but guess when i watch it next time i will get it :smile:

I could :cool:... but I need to go to bed...

The best way to pick it up is by watching a few games... but that'll be a bit difficult now I guess...
Original post by TheMagicRat
I'm talking in general now, not just the context of this game. Of course you look at your opponents and you look at your own defence but even if your defence was rubbish you can't be scared of them going out there and doing what they're supposed to be able to do.

I would also like to say that some people here are going on about the receivers for the Pats but with regards to the Welker drop, I think it was a pretty difficult catch to make. It was behind him and he was spinning as he tried to catch it. For someone of his quality he should have caught it but it was far from easy.

Yeh the Welker catch was by no means an easy one, but he has been the top Receiver in the league this season and the Pats go to guy. He is one guy you would expect to make that catch 99 times out of 100, and unfortunately that 1 times was in the biggest game of his life, at the most crucial point in that game. Had the Pats won, no one would remember that drop. But also, had they won, no one would remember that catch as the game changing moment or as one of the great super bowl grabs.
Original post by alexsong
Harsh isnt it ? The Gronk one you wouldnt back him on the ankle when he hasnt looked with it all game to win the jump ball, the Welker one wasn't right on the money by any means either, I wouldnt really blame anyone in particular and then I think hernandez had 1 drop as well but that was on the desperation drive with 0:54 on the clock or whatever which was improbable to lead to the required touchdown anyway

Gronk shouldn't have played in that state. Not his fault, but he was too slow and careful to be effective, even as a decoy. Ultimately his inclusion hurt our offense and 90% of the time it was a receiver who was never open, limiting Brady's options. Also, a healthy Gronk doesn't let a linebacker, yes a linebacker! match him up field and then beat him out on a jump ball.

Yep Hernandez had a drop which was his own fault.

Welker had a drop too. Ok Brady could have placed it a bit better, but he wasn't far off especially since he was under pressure. 99% of the time that catch it made. As much as I love Welker for everything he's given to this franchise, he bottled it on the key drive. If we make that 4th down we are 20 yards up field with a chance of a touchdown making it a two possession game (i.e all locked up with under 5 minutes to go), or at least a field goal, forcing the giants to go for a touchdown with far less time on the clock.

Branch had a key drop too on the final drive when we were behind. Wasted about 6 seconds and missed out on 20 yards gained. Could have put us in a far better position for a touchdown.

Looks like I got beaten to it. If you have any more questions then ask in the thread, or PM me :P
Gronk shouldn't have played in that state.

I agree. When he was on the field Pats had 10 men. I don't care how good you are, if you're no way near fit, which was clearly the case for him, then you don't play.

I think you're being harsh on Welker though. I don't think he makes that catch 99% of the the time. It wasn't easy because the throw wasn't anywhere near the best. I guess you are just being hyper critical because you're a Pats fan?
Original post by Barden
I could :cool:... but I need to go to bed...

The best way to pick it up is by watching a few games... but that'll be a bit difficult now I guess...

ive watched bout 2-3 games, so were confused over the rules..
why has the season ended or something else?
ive watched bout 2-3 games, so were confused over the rules..
why has the season ended or something else?

season's ended...

the only leagues that get national tv coverage (which means it important enough for people to illegally stream so we can watch it here) are the NFL and NCAA (American universities - the NCAA is the talent pool for both the NFL and NBA and more high profile in the USA than the Championship is to soccer in the UK).

NCAA season finished a few weeks back and the Superbowl is the culmination of the NFL season

The CFL (Canadian Football League) starts around the end of June, but nobody outside of Canada seems to give a **** (despite it being just as high profile in Canada as the NFL is in the US, because there are slight rule differences, Americans shun it - a bit like the differences between rugby union and rugby league, but not as stark).

So yeah, no more gridiron til July... and none that anyone cares about til September :frown:
Looks like I got beaten to it. If you have any more questions then ask in the thread, or PM me :P

lol yes u have :tongue: will do after ive watched the next game, which apparently is a loong time nw :sigh:

Original post by Barden
season's ended...

the only leagues that get national tv coverage (which means it important enough for people to illegally stream so we can watch it here) are the NFL and NCAA (American universities - the NCAA is the talent pool for both the NFL and NBA and more high profile in the USA than the Championship is to soccer in the UK).

NCAA season finished a few weeks back and the Superbowl is the culmination of the NFL season

The CFL (Canadian Football League) starts around the end of June, but nobody outside of Canada seems to give a **** (despite it being just as high profile in Canada as the NFL is in the US, because there are slight rule differences, Americans shun it - a bit like the differences between rugby union and rugby league, but not as stark).

So yeah, no more gridiron til July... and none that anyone cares about til September :frown:

ah right cool, ive only ever watced the superbowls mainly, but it got me interested in it, so will try to follow the league :smile:
Gronk's ankle looked great suddenly during all that partying, him and White went H.A.M...... When they lost :/
Ricky Williams retires.
He could've been so much more than he was. He was really really talented. At least, a good story of how he got his life back on track from around 2007 onwards. 10,000 yards rushing in his career is impressive, too.
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf

Gronk's ankle looked great suddenly during all that partying, him and White went H.A.M...... When they lost :/

He did look healthier. It's almost as if partying is easier than football.

Send me more of your interesting data.
Original post by The Troll Toll
Send me more of your interesting data.

-__-

Troll.

-__-

Troll.

Perhaps you could start with a comprehensive study on whether ankle sprains are more or less painful when you're blackout drunk.
Original post by The Troll Toll
Perhaps you could start with a comprehensive study on whether ankle sprains are more or less painful when you're blackout drunk.

Defending Gronk online, WOW your cool "Troll".

Latest