The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billet-doux
I think it's the same everywhere sadly.

On a side note- does anyone ever think about how lucky we are to actually be alive? This sounds so weird but learning about all this stuff just makes me think I could drop dead any minute.

I definitely worry a lot more about people I care about dying than I ever did before I started medicine.
anyone feel like writing my case presentation for me?

Reallllllly cannot be bothered.

P.S has anyone seen any conversion disorders/hysteria
Reply 8882
Original post by rainbowbex
All the ****ing time.
anyone feel like writing my case presentation for me?

Reallllllly cannot be bothered.

Yes. Functional disorders galore - its really strange to see them sometimes.
Neurological - theres loads of them!
I will swop you for my essay - everyone seems to be flapping about but i just started it bout 5 minutes ago - its the biggest essay of the year!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8884
Original post by lekky
Harsh!

Before I started medicine I heard stories about this, and people sending each other wrong revision notes to try and throw each other off, generally being really unhelpful, lying about work, keeping past papers to themselves..

Turns out Glasgow has managed to avoid these ****ers.

People help each other.

Original post by englishman129
Just realised how moist imperial really is today after about 4 months being here.
Some people are so obsessed with getting good grades themselves they want to derail you (whilst being in the same group as you lol).

Something like this?

Spoiler

Reply 8885
:biggrin:

prsom

Just go to a GP session and count the malingerers
Original post by Mushi_master
Here begins the medical student syndrome :wink:

I think i have primary amenorrhea.

:tongue:
Reply 8888
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I definitely worry a lot more about people I care about dying than I ever did before I started medicine.

Yeah same.

Also should you actually become ill you obviously spend hours reading up every little thing about it. Definitely doesn't help matters.
Original post by digitalis
Just go to a GP session and count the malingerers

I had a case of someone who'd recovered from a functional blindness, the Doctor said such a presentation was quite unusual.

Original post by fairy spangles
Yes. Functional disorders galore - its really strange to see them sometimes.
Neurological - theres loads of them!
I will swop you for my essay - everyone seems to be flapping about but i just started it bout 5 minutes ago - its the biggest essay of the year!

hmm, I don't know an essay actually has substance so I imagine I'd be more motivated to start. Not done a psyc presentation yet either.

Original post by Renal
All the ****ing time.

hahaha, example? :p:
Reply 8890

Renal

All the ****ing time.

hahaha, example? :p:

If you do A&E in a 'diverse' area you'll get a fascinating insight into somatization syndromes from around the world...

'All over body pain off legs' (normally accompanied by a worried son) is a classic.
It is less fascinating when you're the one who needs to get them out of the hospital because you know that admission is genuinely not the answer or you've conceded defeat but chances of the medics/psych accepting are vanishing (but not impossible!) though.
(edited 12 years ago)
I need to stop getting into arguments on facebook. Somebody just called me out on using PubMed as a source saying it was unreliable because she'd never heard of it and that NHS choices was far better because it had NHS in the name, if I even attempted to discredit NHS choices as a relatively poor source apparently I was criticising the entire NHS. FML.
Original post by SMed
But do you look as though you know how to brick it?

Oh, I have many looks.
Original post by RollerBall
I need to stop getting into arguments on facebook. Somebody just called me out on using PubMed as a source saying it was unreliable because she'd never heard of it and that NHS choices was far better because it had NHS in the name, if I even attempted to discredit NHS choices as a relatively poor source apparently I was criticising the entire NHS. FML.

hopefully not another student who said that...?

Facebook should only be used for important arguements. For example - what time to meet and pub and which pub. Or to write drunken/im stressed statuses.
Original post by John Locke
hopefully not another student who said that...?

No, that's the worst part. You'd think they'd take my word for it being a layperson.

Whenever I venture into one of these "debates" it always ends up with me raging at how stupid people are. I was literally going around in circles while she said she had a better understanding while looking at all these different random sources off google and my use of only one website (PubMed) was lacking.

FUUUUUUUU
Reply 8896
No, that's the worst part. You'd think they'd take my word for it being a layperson.

Whenever I venture into one of these "debates" it always ends up with me raging at how stupid people are. I was literally going around in circles while she said she had a better understanding while looking at all these different random sources off google and my use of only one website (PubMed) was lacking.

FUUUUUUUU

I don't think you succeeded in explaining to her what PubMed is. It is very likely she was so thick it is impossible to explain to her.
Original post by SMed
I don't think you succeeded in explaining to her what PubMed is. It is very likely she was so thick it is impossible to explain to her.

She's still going. Essentially her entire argument and thought process can be summarised in this helpful video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqGc6oeIQ5Y
Reply 8898
Original post by Elles
If you do A&E in a 'diverse' area you'll get a fascinating insight into somatization syndromes from around the world...

'All over body pain off legs' (normally accompanied by a worried son) is a classic.
It is less fascinating when you're the one who needs to get them out of the hospital because you know that admission is genuinely not the answer or you've conceded defeat but chances of the medics/psych accepting are vanishing (but not impossible!) though.
Even in the countryside we get a fair bit! Lots of 'unable to move my legs', 'can't feel my left arm', 'tingling in my feet', 'I'm having a stroke' kind of stuff.

It's really problematic because unless you can convince them early that there's nothing serious going on, they can fester on a ward for ages. The difficult bit is being brave enough to tell them that they're fine before you start down the line of investigations because once you start to look for pathology there's a lot of very time consuming imaging, biochemistry and referral that needs to be done to 'rule out' the weird and wonderful neurologies.
I think the weirdest thing I've seen was a near middle-aged woman (brought to A&E by her sister) who had apparently regressed to a child-like state. She just sat there drawing with crayons and doing baby talk, but was otherwise lucid and healthy. Creepy as ****.

Don't think it was legit.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest