The Student Room Group

Is Classical Civilisation regarded as a 'soft' A level by good unis?

I'm in Year 11 trying to decide my A levels. At the mo, I've got three 'definites': Early Modern History, French and Music but I'm trying to decide between three others to do for AS only. These are Latin, Classical Civilisation and English Literature.

Is Classical Civilisation regarded as a 'soft' subject by good unis?

BTW, I've already done French IGCSE and Music GCSE and got A*s in both. This year I'm doing IGCSE English x2, IGCSE Maths, IGCSE Physics, IGCSE Chemistry, IGCSE Biology, IGCSE History, GCSE Latin and GCSE Greek :smile:
As far as I know it isn't, but I think that either Latin or English Lit gives you better language or essay writing and analysis skills.

I know people who did it and it didn't seem that hard.
Reply 2
Original post by Mazzini
I'm in Year 11 trying to decide my A levels. At the mo, I've got three 'definites': Early Modern History, French and Music but I'm trying to decide between three others to do for AS only. These are Latin, Classical Civilisation and English Literature.

BTW, I've already done French IGCSE and Music GCSE and got A*s in both. This year I'm doing IGCSE English x2, IGCSE Maths, IGCSE Physics, IGCSE Chemistry, IGCSE Biology, IGCSE History, GCSE Latin and GCSE Greek :smile:

No. From what I can gather, it seems to be a generally respected A-level. Perhaps you would like to take a look at the links below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx
Reply 3
Original post by Historophilia
As far as I know it isn't, but I think that either Latin or English Lit gives you better language or essay writing and analysis skills.

Original post by xraphx
No. From what I can gather, it seems to be a generally respected A-level. Perhaps you would like to take a look at the links below:

Ok thank you :smile:

It's just my school wants me to be a medic, lawyer or businessman and I'm really not cut out for any of those so I wanted some independent advice :tongue:
Original post by Mazzini

It's just my school wants me to be a medic, lawyer or businessman and I'm really not cut out for any of those so I wanted some independent advice :tongue:

What your school wants you to be is irrelevant, do you what you want to do. It'd hardly the case that those are the only three careers worth going in to!
Reply 5
Original post by Mazzini

Bear in mind, almost all English degrees require English Lit, and most Classics degrees require Latin (although there are some very good universities, including Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, which don't); however, few courses will require Classical Civilisation. If you are unsure of what you want to do at uni, either Latin or English will do more to keep your options open - that being said, it's always good to play to your strengths aswell.
Reply 6
What your school wants you to be is irrelevant, do you what you want to do. It'd hardly the case that those are the only three careers worth going in to!

But that's what my school thinks! :rolleyes:

Original post by Aesc
Bear in mind, almost all English degrees require English Lit, and most Classics degrees require Latin (although there are some very good universities, including Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, which don't); however, few courses will require Classical Civilisation. If you are unsure of what you want to do at uni, either Latin or English will do more to keep your options open - that being said, it's always good to play to your strengths aswell.

I'm not planning to do English or Classics at uni, I'm just trying to think of a good fourth AS. Too much literature is not good! :s-smilie:
I've actually completed my A-levels and one of them was Classical Civilisation. It is well respected, although I agree with some of the earlier comments suggesting it is easy. However, it's only easy if you are prepared to memorize every detail of the set texts; as a matter of fact you get 20 marks in your first year from just being able to recall the plot. It's really on a par with English Literature in terms of writing skills which is another subject I coincidently took - but with a more direct focus on the culture of ancient societies. If you really want to be challenged at A-level I'd actually recommend taking Philosophy though it is incredibly demanding. Possibly the only A-level which had any intrinsic worth for me though.
Reply 8
Original post by Mazzini

It's what you want to do that matters.

Have you got a career in mind that YOU want to do? If so, base YOUR choices around that.
Reply 9

Original post by xraphx

Original post by Aesc

Original post by OedipusTheKing
I've actually completed my A-levels and one of them was Classical Civilisation. It is well respected, although I agree with some of the earlier comments suggesting it is easy. However, it's only easy if you are prepared to memorize every detail of the set texts; as a matter of fact you get 20 marks in your first year from just being able to recall the plot. It's really on a par with English Literature in terms of writing skills which is another subject I coincidently took - but with a more direct focus on the culture of ancient societies. If you really want to be challenged at A-level I'd actually recommend taking Philosophy though it is incredibly demanding. Possibly the only A-level which had any intrinsic worth for me though.

Original post by Nix-j-c
It's what you want to do that matters.

Have you got a career in mind that YOU want to do? If so, base YOUR choices around that.

Thanks for all your advice :biggrin:

I've spoken to a family friend who is a fellow at Clare College, Cambridge as well as helping with admissions and he said that if I want to do languages at uni (which is quite likely for me) then it'd be a big help to do Latin and then go on a gap yah to build up another modern language to A-level standard. I also spoke to my uncle who used to be (until a couple of years ago) headmaster of a good secondary school in London and he said the same thing.

So I think I'm doing Latin :tongue:
Original post by Mazzini
It's a good thing that your school has little control over your life then, isn't it? :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by jismith1989
It's a good thing that your school has little control over your life then, isn't it? :wink:

To say the least! :rolleyes:

Edit: Why have I been negged for this?! :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Well it better be as I do it now and it's my favourite subject! (well, along with English, I agree they are very similar)
Reply 13
no its one of the best out there, bloody hard though!
Reply 14
Yes, do Latin! It's not too hard and it's respected! :smile:
Reply 15
Choose a subject you will enjoy do you hear me (repeats the first sentence again) don't do something because someone else told you to it's your decision. Hope it helps
Reply 16
The mark of an educated person is to be able to read and study classics. apparently:smile:
As far as I know classics is considered fine at university, but obviously not as good as latin or english lit.
Classics is arguably easier than the others. But you seem really smart so you should be ok with anything.
I have studied classics and love it. I think you have to be really commited and into all the mythology to really enjoy taking it.
The course I did you had to learn so much!!!
Reply 17
Original post by lolablu
The mark of an educated person is to be able to read and study classics. apparently:smile:
As far as I know classics is considered fine at university, but obviously not as good as latin or english lit.
Classics is arguably easier than the others. But you seem really smart so you should be ok with anything.
I have studied classics and love it. I think you have to be really commited and into all the mythology to really enjoy taking it.
The course I did you had to learn so much!!!

Why do some people call it "classics"? Classics is the overarching thing that links them together but Latin, Greek and Classical Civilisation are different subjects... :confused:
Original post by Mazzini
Why do some people call it "classics"? Classics is the overarching thing that links them together but Latin, Greek and Classical Civilisation are different subjects... :confused:

Because, in terms of A Levels, Greek is called Greek, Latin is called Latin and Classical Civilisation, being quite long to say, is shortened to Classics. This is similar to RS, PE, English (as oppose to Lit/Lang) etc.

Quick Reply

Latest