The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8100
To buck the trend, rejection from St Andrews last week! :frown:
Reply 8101
Original post by Howiee

Unlucky, I got one too, so did someone I know with 4 A* predictions, so I don't really know what is going on. Hopefully you get/have other offers :smile:
The fact that LSE and UCL are rejecting people has to mean that if you've been waiting for 4 months, it's probably not the worst thing in the world? If they wanted to reject you, they would already have by now?
Reply 8103
Original post by FDR
Unlucky, I got one too, so did someone I know with 4 A* predictions, so I don't really know what is going on. Hopefully you get/have other offers :smile:

I am predicted A*A*A so it was an unwelcome surprise.

Thanks, I have two offers and still waiting on a decision from two others.
Reply 8104
Original post by Howiee
I am predicted A*A*A so it was an unwelcome surprise.

Thanks, I have two offers and still waiting on a decision from two others.

That's ridiculous that they are rejecting people such as yourself with predictions that far exceed their entry requirements. I know Universities can do what they like, but it really seems odd that they are rejecting people with lots of A* predictions. My parents think they are trying to maximise their intake from outside the UK/EU, particularly from the States, as this means more revenue from higher tuition fees internationals pay, and a better world league table ranking, as foreign students intake is one of the measures. Even so, I didn't expect it to be so competitive.

Well done on your other offers anyway, with grades like that, I expect you'll end up somewhere great.
Reply 8105
Original post by WalkerPrince
The fact that LSE and UCL are rejecting people has to mean that if you've been waiting for 4 months, it's probably not the worst thing in the world? If they wanted to reject you, they would already have by now?

Could just as easily make the same deduction that why would they wait this long if they wanted you :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
Could just as easily make the same deduction that why would they wait this long if they wanted you :tongue:

True, but I prefer my deduction :smile:
Reply 8107
Original post by Howiee

What course? I applied for the BSc in Economics, and i still haven't heard from them. Sorry to hear you didn't get in though, I think they are douching out on UK/EU and want more internationals due to the higher fees.
Reply 8108
Original post by WalkerPrince
True, but I prefer my deduction :smile:

Me too :redface: UCL why are you taking so long!
IIRC I think 2 open days for economics at UCL have passed, so hopefully we'll see the next batch of offers soon.
Reply 8110
Original post by jamiepango
IIRC I think 2 open days for economics at UCL have passed, so hopefully we'll see the next batch of offers soon.

Yeah they seem to do a set of open day invites then wait until the actual day has passed before sending invites for the next one...
Reply 8111
what degree is more respected...accounting and finance at LSE or economics at a top ten university?
Reply 8112
Original post by jacky23
what degree is more respected...accounting and finance at LSE or economics at a top ten university?

Anything with LSE on it!
Jokes, it needs to be a good degree and accounting and finance isn't exactly media studies.
Why do you ask, are you making uni/course choices for next year?
If so, could you not have different options, i.e. A&F LSE, then economics from top ten unis.

As a general rule, go for economics as you can specialize during the course, but you also need to do something you enjoy

As for respected? It's a balance between LSE's name or the course 'Economics'
That is a tough one.
Original post by jacky23

What do you mean by more respected? They are totally different degrees. If you want to become an accountant at the Big 4 then the A&F degree at LSE will help you more. And if you want to work as an economic advisor for example a Bsc Economics will help you more. If you're talking about Investment Banking though, A&F at LSE will put you in a slightly better position than let's say Economics at Edinburgh (although I am no expert and I am just saying what other people claim). I wouldn't go for A&F at LSE just because you think it's more respected. You have to enjoy what you're studying otherwise you could end up with a 2:2 easily and then the LSE brand name won't help you anymore (A&F is boring as hell for most people anyway :tongue: ). Study what you think suits you the best and where you can achieve the best grades regardless of whether uni A has a slightly better reputation than uni B. If you really try hard, you will succeed. :smile:
Is anyone thinking of going into actuary (especially those who haven't made their minds up yet?)

An economics degree is one of the degrees employees in these firms want, but it will take longer to be fully qualified..... Seems good though
Did anyone else applying to L100 at Bath University get an email asking for a statement of results or a letter from your referee stating the grades at AS?

Is this a good omen for an offer or a bad one?
Reply 8116
Original post by ChickenMaLicken
Did anyone else applying to L100 at Bath University get an email asking for a statement of results or a letter from your referee stating the grades at AS?

Is this a good omen for an offer or a bad one?

Last Wednesday Bath (L101) asked me for my completed A Level certificates or statement of results, I scanned them my certificates.
My guess is it is good, LSE asked for my certificates in the offer, so my best guess is that Bath just do the check before giving offers. After all, it is just another admin task for them, that (if assumed nobody lies on their UCAS) will make no change to their decision, and so from that you can assume they are close to, or have already made the decision to give an offer, they just wish to check first. It is unlikely they use 'correct info on UCAS' and 'lied to us on UCAS' as further ways to distinguish between us :laugh:
Anyway i hope it's good news for you soon :smile:
UCL economics offer :biggrin: waheyy
Original post by Studentt30
UCL economics offer :biggrin: waheyy

Yay, well done! What grades? :smile:
Reply 8119
Original post by Feragon
What course? I applied for the BSc in Economics, and i still haven't heard from them. Sorry to hear you didn't get in though, I think they are douching out on UK/EU and want more internationals due to the higher fees.

L100 but I think it was Ma instead.

Original post by FDR
That's ridiculous that they are rejecting people such as yourself with predictions that far exceed their entry requirements. I know Universities can do what they like, but it really seems odd that they are rejecting people with lots of A* predictions. My parents think they are trying to maximise their intake from outside the UK/EU, particularly from the States, as this means more revenue from higher tuition fees internationals pay, and a better world league table ranking, as foreign students intake is one of the measures. Even so, I didn't expect it to be so competitive.

Well done on your other offers anyway, with grades like that, I expect you'll end up somewhere great.

Thank you and best of luck to you with your offers too.

Latest

Trending

Trending