The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

First lot of inter professional education sessions today. Interesting.......
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I think the weirdest thing I've seen was a near middle-aged woman (brought to A&E by her sister) who had apparently regressed to a child-like state. She just sat there drawing with crayons and doing baby talk, but was otherwise lucid and healthy. Creepy as ****.

Don't think it was legit.

pretty impressive
Original post by rumandraisin
First lot of inter professional education sessions today. Interesting.......

It just gets better and better.
Original post by Kinkerz
x

PRSOM. I just love your sarcasm :colone:
Reply 8904
Today.
Before a procedure.
Consultant: So have you spoken to the patient beforehand?
Me: No
C: Why not? Its imperative.
Me: Because she doesn't speak english.....
C: Oh.
Reply 8905
Original post by crazylemon
My consultant has only asked me to present a patient. On my first day. On the ward round where before I was in handover.
I want to know by what magical ability I was supposed to know the patient...
I'm now an acute medical housebitch, this is what I do constantly for four hours a day, every day, every week for six months. My l33t emergency medicine and putting-people-to-sleep skillz are being used to speed read some on-call housie's clerking, parrot it off to a boss and then be embarrassed when they haven't recorded the serum rhubarb in the appropriate place in the notes and they haven't already ordered a magnetic resonance mesenteric angiogram.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8906
Lol.
I still felt having never had a chance to meet the patient it was a little unfair :tongue:
I never meet my patients until the W/R and rarely see them again.
Reply 8907
This job perfectly encapsulates everything I hate about medicine and every reason I can think of not to be a medic.
Original post by Renal
I'm now an acute medical housebitch, this is what I do constantly for four hours a day, every day, every week for six months. My l33t emergency medicine and putting-people-to-sleep skillz are being used to speed read some on-call housie's clerking, parrot it off to a boss and then be embarrassed when they haven't recorded the serum rhubarb in the appropriate place in the notes and they haven't already ordered a magnetic resonance mesenteric angiogram.

Lol!
Am I supposed to know a lot of stuff by the end of my first two years? I know it sounds stupid because I still have three years left but even before starting clinical there are some diseases we literally have never been taught about.

For example, an old school friend got diagnosed with Crohns. Granted, I know the gist of it from passing anecdotes such as examples when the immune system goes wrong but not the mechanism nor treatment. We've never been officially taught about this disease, have I been missing large chunks or is this normal? Technically I've finished all of my pre-clincial metabolism teaching so I'll never learn about Crohns in a pre-clinical setting, this just strikes me as odd. While I could get the ideas of the treatment from wikipedia/emedicine based on background knowledge of immunology and drugs I still find it disconcerting. Had this old friend never got diagnosed I would have entered a ward having never really learnt about it ready to be arse raped by a consultant.

This isn't the only disease either, obviously. I'm just using it as an example. I understand we can't be taught every condition in the entire world but from what I gather Crohns/UC aren't exactly rare.
Original post by RollerBall
Am I supposed to know a lot of stuff by the end of my first two years? I know it sounds stupid because I still have three years left but even before starting clinical there are some diseases we literally have never been taught about.

For example, an old school friend got diagnosed with Crohns. Granted, I know the gist of it from passing anecdotes such as examples when the immune system goes wrong but not the mechanism nor treatment. We've never been officially taught about this disease, have I been missing large chunks or is this normal? Technically I've finished all of my pre-clincial metabolism teaching so I'll never learn about Crohns in a pre-clinical setting, this just strikes me as odd. While I could get the ideas of the treatment from wikipedia/emedicine based on background knowledge of immunology and drugs I still find it disconcerting. Had this old friend never got diagnosed I would have entered a ward having never really learnt about it ready to be arse raped by a consultant.

This isn't the only disease either, obviously. I'm just using it as an example. I understand we can't be taught every condition in the entire world but from what I gather Crohns/UC aren't exactly rare.

You'll pick this stuff up in your clinical years (reading, talking with doctors, etc.).

Mind, if you find a good mechanism for how the immune system goes wrong in Crohn's, let me know. Oh, and collect your global recognition for it too.
Original post by Kinkerz
You'll pick this stuff up in your clinical years (reading, talking with doctors, etc.).

Mind, if you find a good mechanism for how the immune system goes wrong in Crohn's, let me know. Oh, and collect your global recognition for it too.

You know what I mean, you're a lot more cynical these days than you used to be when I was applying :tongue:
I had about 4 lectures on UC/crohns...

In third year or in the past? We've never had any formal teaching on either and I can't see any block where it would fit with what's left in this year (Loco/B&B).
I haven't had any lectures specifically on IBDs as such, but it has been taught to us from various aspects throughout our GI module last semester.
You know what I mean, you're a lot more cynical these days than you used to be when I was applying :tongue:

To be fair, I don't think we got much of a lecture on IBD. We did have a PBL on it though.

I had about 4 lectures on UC/crohns...

I'm curious about other courses of late.

How many lectures, roughly, for instance, did you get on the immune system?
In third year or in the past? We've never had any formal teaching on either and I can't see any block where it would fit with what's left in this year (Loco/B&B).

What Kinkerz said. I remember getting tutorials on it in hospital but at the end of the day, you will still have to do some of your own reading (remember what I said to you about reading OHCM even as a preclinical student?) You have enough knowledge now to understand most of the stuff now so it is all about fleshing out your knowledge now and in third year.

As for differentiation, simple rules would be:

-If it extends outside the colon (ileocecal valve to rectum) it is Crohn's.
If you see granuloma's or crypt abscess on histology, then it is Crohn's.
-If you have bloody diarrhoea, it is UC.

Treatment is immunosuppression and antiinflammatories. Total colectomy for UC is curative, doesn't help for Crohn's.
My consultant has only asked me to present a patient. On my first day. On the ward round where before I was in handover.
I want to know by what magical ability I was supposed to know the patient...

This literally happened to one of my friends on her first day of her firm this term. I laughed when she told me, but I only give it time before it is my turn in her position. :s

I know what you mean - some of the stuff does seem glossed over and I suppose you do have to do your own reading. Its almost impossible to teach everything there is to know about medicine (especially if they have all the random IPE, Comm Skills, MedSoc, SSC posters etc. to fit in the timetable). That said, Crohns really should have been taught to you at some point. I'm guessing it was probably mentioned in FunMed when you did your immunology. It was for us and that's when I remember learning it (and it was mentioned again in second year in Met 2 - can't remember the name of the lecture but I remember what the slides looked like). Then again, you guys had the new FunMed with the new lecturers so I don't know what was taught, but like Kinkers said, you'll pick up on the missing bits in the later years - that's the idea with the spiral curriculum. I know the 3rd years had a couple of lectures on IBD and Crohns etc. this year because I remember reading a friends handout before I went in to run my year 1 PBL session which was on IBD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn360trGChY

This has probably been posted before, but provided 2 minutes of quality entertainment tonight!
Reply 8918
We were taught it in 2 years GI. Had a tutorial on Crohns/UC last week while on surgery firm. Saw a probable diagnosis of crohns yesterday in endoscopy suite.
I literally had no idea what UC/Crohn's were till 1st year clinics.... don't sweat it

Latest

Trending

Trending