The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5040
I'm officially bored. I have no friends at home and nothing to do. Can you give me ideas for what I can do/make/learn? Gap years are overrated (if you have nothing planned, that is)
Original post by Seb
I'm officially bored. I have no friends at home and nothing to do. Can you give me ideas for what I can do/make/learn? Gap years are overrated (if you have nothing planned, that is)

get a job and save some money for uni :smile: thats what im doing :biggrin:
Original post by Seb

I'm the exact same. Think I'm going to try and learn some sign language/makaton :yes: I need to stop wasting my time on the xbox, I forgot how obsessive it is :redface:
Reply 5043
Original post by Quackers93
I'm the exact same. Think I'm going to try and learn some sign language/makaton :yes: I need to stop wasting my time on the xbox, I forgot how obsessive it is :redface:

Sign language is amazing. I've been teaching myself the alphabet etc. off youtube :biggrin:
Original post by AkDo
Sign language is amazing. I've been teaching myself the alphabet etc. off youtube :biggrin:

It is! I taught myself the alaphabet, but I mix up the left handed and right handed ways which isn't good :redface: I'm on to learning colours now cause the kids where I work all know it and now I want to. Can't have 3/4 year olds beating me :tongue:
Reply 5045
Original post by Nnuunnuu
get a job and save some money for uni :smile: thats what im doing :biggrin:

I suppose I could work. I kind of don't want to work though just because I feel I'm should be doing some once in a lifetime stuff, which I'm not anyway...

Haha yeah, I've been playing way too much. I need to find something constructive to do with this vast amount of time. I learnt a bit of Makaton when I was working with some disabled children, but now all I can remember is a, e, i, o, u and 'sitting' lol
Heyy guys I was thinking.. (haven't been doing much of that lately :tongue:)
But is there anything I can do to prepare for next year?
I'm working in a hospital full-time Monday-Friday and I do the sports in the weekends socialize etc

Don't want to get ahead of myself yet and don't plan to buy any books or study properly until I start (:crossedf:) med schl..
But now that my Chem resit is over, I was thinking about trying to get to grips with anatomy..
Since it seems medical schools rarely teach this well and it would be something you should really learn yourself and on-going.. What do the current years or fellow reapplicants think of this?
Reply 5047
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Don't want to get ahead of myself yet and don't plan to buy any books or study properly until I start (:crossedf:) med schl..
But now that my Chem resit is over, I was thinking about trying to get to grips with anatomy..
Since it seems medical schools rarely teach this well and it would be something you should really learn yourself and on-going.. What do the current years or fellow reapplicants think of this?

You're keen :smile:. I dunno about med schools not teaching it well though, check out the uni info about the kind of teaching they offer on that. As for anatomy itself, I actually think that it's a subject you either know or do not know. Its all facts and no calculation IMO. So tbh getting a book on it will actually help, particularly one with good illustrations. In fact if you are defo going into med you'll probably be getting one anyways. Having such constant hospital contact will be absolutely adequate though.
Reply 5048
I'm working in a hospital full-time Monday-Friday and I do the sports in the weekends socialize etc

Original post by Vox0
You're keen :smile:. I dunno about med schools not teaching it well though, check out the uni info about the kind of teaching they offer on that. As for anatomy itself, I actually think that it's a subject you either know or do not know. Its all facts and no calculation IMO. So tbh getting a book on it will actually help, particularly one with good illustrations. In fact if you are defo going into med you'll probably be getting one anyways. Having such constant hospital contact will be absolutely adequate though.

This is what I was going to say really.

My boyfriend is in his first year, and says he finds anatomy the hardest to learn because it is just memorising long words basically. He has the anatomy colouring book, and I have had a look, and done the first few pages to see if its worth my while buying it to do before I go. Basically, I've come to the conclusion that yes, it probably is a good idea. Not necessarily to memorise and learn completely, but just to familiarise myself with it, in a slightly more easy going way (rather than buying Grays anatomy or something equally daunting)

I always said I wouldn't bother doing anything, but after seeing him struggle with it, I thought anatomy probably would be a good thing to do. And besides anything else, I think I'm getting stupider...
Original post by twelve

My boyfriend is in his first year, and says he finds anatomy the hardest to learn because it is just memorising long words basically. He has the anatomy colouring book, and I have had a look, and done the first few pages to see if its worth my while buying it to do before I go. Basically, I've come to the conclusion that yes, it probably is a good idea. Not necessarily to memorise and learn completely, but just to familiarise myself with it, in a slightly more easy going way (rather than buying Grays anatomy or something equally daunting)

I always said I wouldn't bother doing anything, but after seeing him struggle with it, I thought anatomy probably would be a good thing to do. And besides anything else, I think I'm getting stupider...

anatomy colouring book? please tell me it is an actual colouring book cos i so want one
Reply 5050
Original post by atomos
anatomy colouring book? please tell me it is an actual colouring book cos i so want one

Yeahhh haha it actually is. They give you the information you need, and then you have to colour in the parts! Its actually really good. And you get a subscription to website to print off extra copies. If I don't get it before medschool, I'm definitely getting it for while I'm there.
Original post by twelve
Yeahhh haha it actually is. They give you the information you need, and then you have to colour in the parts! Its actually really good. And you get a subscription to website to print off extra copies. If I don't get it before medschool, I'm definitely getting it for while I'm there.

sounds so cool, where do i get one of these?!
Original post by twelve

That's epic! I totally want one!

I'm with you, I'm pretty sure my level of stupidity has increase since starting the gap year :frown:
That's epic! I totally want one!

I'm with you, I'm pretty sure my level of stupidity has increase since starting the gap year :frown:

haha same, I'm struggling to help my sister in answering some GCSE science questions, how the hell have I done A Levels! :albertein::stupid::stupido::stupido2::stupido3:

I don't think it's essential that you need to start learning anatomy pre-medical school, but it certainly isn't going to harm you. You just need to realise that you aren't expected to go into every little detail about things.

I'm going to second the recommendation for the colouring book, it's what I use for anatomy as well. The illustrations are really good in the book, easy to see what you're looking at (when you've coloured in the bits) and the descriptions are pretty good as well.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0805350861/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328669509&sr=8-1 <- that's the one :yy:

Little help for learning anatomy.. it's best done in areas in my opinion (for example the shoulder, then the arm, then the hand) and with a routine.

For example, I've been learning anatomy within my locomotor module at the moment, so if I were to learn the anatomy of the leg I would use this method:
Bones of the leg
Tendons/ligaments
Muscles
Blood supply
Nerve supply
Dermatomes

Since we aren't covering lymph systems atm so leaving that bit out.

Other people will do it differently though :h:
haha same, I'm struggling to help my sister in answering some GCSE science questions, how the hell have I done A Levels! :albertein::stupid::stupido::stupido2::stupido3:

YES! My sister gets really annoyed at me when I cant help her with her gcse science either. Lookin back at it though, I think gcse science looks harder than the a level stuff :laugh:
Thanks guys for all the suggestings/comments :smile:

Yeah I don't plan to try to learn absolutely everything, just want to stimulate my brain by doing something productive for the next 7months and thought that might be the best thing to try and familiarise myself with. But yeah I won't memorise or anything, maybe just have a glance at google body once in a while :tongue:

(Couldn't quote you all, typing on a phone on a jumping tube with frozen fingers)
Thanks guys for all the suggestings/comments :smile:

Yeah I don't plan to try to learn absolutely everything, just want to stimulate my brain by doing something productive for the next 7months and thought that might be the best thing to try and familiarise myself with. But yeah I won't memorise or anything, maybe just have a glance at google body once in a while :tongue:

(Couldn't quote you all, typing on a phone on a jumping tube with frozen fingers)

How is your application going?

Same! I genuinely can't answer most of her questions, however, my parents/sister think I'm just too lazy to give her the right answer. I even think my English is failing. I was in a meeting with a lady and it took me about two minutes to convey a simple message that should have taken 5 seconds. :frown:
Original post by Tzarchasm
Same! I genuinely can't answer most of her questions, however, my parents/sister think I'm just too lazy to give her the right answer. I even think my English is failing. I was in a meeting with a lady and it took me about two minutes to convey a simple message that should have taken 5 seconds. :frown:

exactly same here, my mum tells me off for not helping her, she doesn't believe that i actually can't help :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending