The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8920
Original post by xconfetti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn360trGChY

This has probably been posted before, but provided 2 minutes of quality entertainment tonight!

I lol'd. And diabetes just reminded me of this:

Spoiler

:colone:
6 hours in an urgent referral eye clinic, full of non-urgent referrals and only supposed to last 2 hours. That was a fun morning.
Reply 8922
Original post by digitalis
Lol!
My God! I hate my job!
Original post by Mushi_master
6 hours in an urgent referral eye clinic, full of non-urgent referrals and only supposed to last 2 hours. That was a fun morning.

Sucks dude :frown:
Sucks dude :frown:

Didn't take long for me to realise it wasn't the specialty for me. Although I could have decided that before medical school.
I really liked opthalmology week. Really well taught and interesting.
Some interesting cases like a lady who we newly diagnosed with Wet AMD who didn't have a clue she had it. :frown:

Onto neurology now, and wishing I'd been a bit more like some of the keenos on here and actually learnt neuroanatomy in 2nd year >_<
Reply 8926
Original post by Renal
My God! I hate my job!

Please elaborate. We will be you soon. We need to know what to expect.
Original post by SMed

I'm looking forward to graduating, but not particularly looking forward to the job of a house officer. The downsides I can see from my shadowing:

1.) It isn't really a training job. One hour a week of formal teaching + little independent decision making = service job.
2.) Often huge numbers of patients (last HO had 40, over 3 consultants with no SHO and no Reg's available) with little senior support.
3.) An enormous amount of essentially clerical or technical work to be done that is not useful in improving your medical knowledge (updating lists, booking scans, chasing results, doing cannulas, doing bloods, rewriting drug charts etc)
4.) Generally considered useless by all
Original post by SMed

Yes I agree

[Also love your sig! I tried to rep you but couldn't as too soon to do so again :frown: ]
Reply 8929
I'm looking forward to graduating, but not particularly looking forward to the job of a house officer. The downsides I can see from my shadowing:

1.) It isn't really a training job. One hour a week of formal teaching + little independent decision making = service job.
2.) Often huge numbers of patients (last HO had 40, over 3 consultants with no SHO and no Reg's available) with little senior support.
3.) An enormous amount of essentially clerical or technical work to be done that is not useful in improving your medical knowledge (updating lists, booking scans, chasing results, doing cannulas, doing bloods, rewriting drug charts etc)
4.) Generally considered useless by all

I hate exams so, so much, that all sounds appealing compared to exam time.

Money - Exams = Winning
Original post by Philosoraptor
I really liked opthalmology week. Really well taught and interesting.
Some interesting cases like a lady who we newly diagnosed with Wet AMD who didn't have a clue she had it. :frown:

Onto neurology now, and wishing I'd been a bit more like some of the keenos on here and actually learnt neuroanatomy in 2nd year >_<

Will trade you neurology for surgery!
Revieved exam results today, done well, and now feeling a mass anti-climax and deflation - anyone else feel like this after exam results?!! Anyway, time to get get royally wrecked on post-exam results night out!
Original post by fairy spangles
Will trade you neurology for surgery!

What kinda surgery - possibly up for this? :p:
Reply 8933
Original post by SMed
I ward round for four hours a day with any one of at least eight different consultants (I've lost count), just the two of us. While this happens, I have to find the notes, find the drug chart, find the obs chart, close the curtains, document the consultation, amend the drug chart (including writing up everything that's been forgotten - like the ****ing VTE form), help the patient sit up (or whatever else), find a working computer to display xrays and have a working knowledge of what's been done to this patient so far. When I did this as a housie, there were three or four juniors to help share the load and there was a better than even chance that you had at least met the patient before.

I spend the remaining four hours of my day writing referrals, chasing other parts of the hossie to do their job, filling in forms, writing discharge summaries and generally just trying to keep a track of what's happening to 20 odd patients before they disappear off deeper into hossie whilst fielding requests from nurses, OTs, PTs, SLTs, ward clerks and rellies about the other 20 patients who aren't mine.

The next day it will be a different set of patients and a different consultant but exactly the same ****.

I appreciate that this is part of the job and it's something that needs doing but, in my slightly childish rant, I did my house jobs, why do they want me to do it again?
Original post by Kinkerz
You'll pick this stuff up in your clinical years (reading, talking with doctors, etc.).

Mind, if you find a good mechanism for how the immune system goes wrong in Crohn's, let me know. Oh, and collect your global recognition for it too.

I think there’s a combination of environment and genetic factors which contribute to developing the disease as it’s common in Ashkenazi Jews and there was a link found between having childhood measles and later developing the disease (so perhaps a primary infection which activates the auto-immunity). I don’t think anyone really is clear on the exact mechanisms but many theories.

Spoiler

Had to write a dissertation comparing two patients with Crohn’s vs Acute pancreatitis.

What Kinkerz said. I remember getting tutorials on it in hospital but at the end of the day, you will still have to do some of your own reading (remember what I said to you about reading OHCM even as a preclinical student?) You have enough knowledge now to understand most of the stuff now so it is all about fleshing out your knowledge now and in third year.
As for differentiation, simple rules would be:

-If it extends outside the colon (ileocecal valve to rectum) it is Crohn's.
If you see granuloma's or crypt abscess on histology, then it is Crohn's.
-If you have bloody diarrhoea, it is UC.

Treatment is immunosuppression and antinflammatories. Total colectomy for UC is curative, doesn't help for Crohn's.

Will rep when I can.

In terms of treatment I remember Budesonide is the steroid of choice as it carries much less systemic ADRs than prednisolone as it only becomes pharmacologically active in the bowel. Also very important to give B12 supplementation as the terminal ileum is commonly affected in Crohn’s (logical as that’s where Peyer’s Patches are) and where B12 is absorbed into circulation.

Table given to us by Leicester:

Spoiler

Since when does image shack ask for registration :s-smilie:

Hmm I want to go back to Medicine soon. :frown: Does anyone want to do some literature reviews for me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8935
Original post by _Andrew_
Revieved exam results today, done well, and now feeling a mass anti-climax and deflation - anyone else feel like this after exam results?!! Anyway, time to get get royally wrecked on post-exam results night out!

I generally failed exams first attempt, so when I passed the resits it was a massive relief and jubilation. Felt so good, for even just scraping by. Passed my first clinical year at first attempt, and it was even better.

Sorry, but:

Reply 8936
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Hmm I want to go back to Medicine soon. :frown: Does anyone want to do some literature reviews for me?

Original post by _Andrew_

Yeah I get that - like you expect to suddenly feel awesome and free but I think I muck around so much anyway I don't feel special haha
Original post by Philosoraptor
What kinda surgery - possibly up for this? :p:

Emergency surgery. On call as from tomorrow evening!
I dont mind honest.

I have major assignment to do - the worst part is deciding on the bloody topic. As soon as that is decided i will be on a roll!
Original post by fairy spangles
Emergency surgery. On call as from tomorrow evening!
I dont mind honest.

I have major assignment to do - the worst part is deciding on the bloody topic. As soon as that is decided i will be on a roll!

As in trauma stuff? Sure.

Shoot me down guys if you want, but I just can't stand General surgery, I find it sooo boring. And it's gonna be so important for final year argh, damnit, will have to grin and bear it

Latest

Trending

Trending