The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8140
Original post by Feragon
Also got turned down, friggin sucks I had an amazing predicted grade too. Oh well I guess I will have to chose Nottingham as my firm instead.

Sorry to hear mate. On the plus side Nottingham's a great uni and I'm sure you'll have a great time there.

It's their loss in the end :smile:
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Really? Even though it doesn't have 'Statistics' in the name?

I can do most of the modules for Econometrics and Mathematical Economics through the normal Economics degree, except for the dissertation in the third year, so that's good I guess. Do you know if they let you do statistics modules as the 'one outside option', etc.?

Thanks by the way.

Yes, it's the best course involving a joint economics/statistics content if you pick your options accordingly. Don't worry about the degree titles too much. People doing LSE's Maths and Economics can cover a higher level of econometrics than some most would doing EME -- and M&E doesn't have 'econometrics' in the title.

The two modules that make the econometrics degree more valuable than vanilla economics are taken in the third year only; a tough econometrics module and, as you say, the economics project. You can get special permission to take that metrics module if you do well in your 2nd year. You can't do the project though. You can, of course, take statistics modules as your free options; ST202 in your second year and another one in your third year. So effectively you'd be doing statistics courses in all three years of your degree. Add to that some econometrics modules and other universities with 'statistics' in the degree title won't leave you any better prepared. It's worth noting the strength of LSE's department is in econometrics, so if you're into your statisticsy stuff, it's the place to be.
Original post by -Illmatic-
Lol thats good for us actually :teeth:

Where you planning on firming?
Original post by Overmars
Yes, it's the best course involving a joint economics/statistics content if you pick your options accordingly. Don't worry about the degree titles too much. People doing LSE's Maths and Economics can cover a higher level of econometrics than some most would doing EME -- and M&E doesn't have 'econometrics' in the title.

The two modules that make the econometrics degree more valuable than vanilla economics are taken in the third year only; a tough econometrics module and, as you say, the economics project. You can get special permission to take that metrics module if you do well in your 2nd year. You can't do the project though. You can, of course, take statistics modules as your free options; ST202 in your second year and another one in your third year. So effectively you'd be doing statistics courses in all three years of your degree. Add to that some econometrics modules and other universities with 'statistics' in the degree title won't leave you any better prepared. It's worth noting the strength of LSE's department is in econometrics, so if you're into your statisticsy stuff, it's the place to be.

That's good to know. I sort of regret not applying for the Econometrics course now, but oh well. Thanks again - you've been a great help.
That's good to know. I sort of regret not applying for the Econometrics course now, but oh well. Thanks again - you've been a great help.

You can apply to switch as soon as you get there. And you'll probably be given a (tough...but achievable) conditional offer based on your first year results. Just talk to your undergraduate tutor if you end up going there.

It's not a big deal though. The courses are very similar -- a dissertation and a couple more math/statistics modules aside, it's pretty much the same if you choose your options wisely.

No problem.
Original post by zxh800
Warwick offer, they took their time.

Well done I'm so jealous. I sent my application in on october 12th and havn't heard from Warwick...they are the only ones I am waiting for and would be my definite firm...stop making me wait!!! By the way when did you send off you application and if you don't mind what were your AS grades and A2 predictions?
:biggrin:
Reply 8146
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Is anyone thinking of going into actuary (especially those who haven't made their minds up yet?)

An economics degree is one of the degrees employees in these firms want, but it will take longer to be fully qualified..... Seems good though

Ask Alex, I think he was considering going into Actuary

Anyone know which would be the best joint Stats and econ degree?

I think imperial might do one? Id say Ucl/LSE
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8147
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
I thought fees were more than £10,000 for most postgrad courses, Msc Economics is in around £4500 :tongue:

Where? LSE, Warwick level universities do an Msc in economics costing over 20000
Reply 8148
Original post by economist94
Well done I'm so jealous. I sent my application in on october 12th and havn't heard from Warwick...they are the only ones I am waiting for and would be my definite firm...stop making me wait!!! By the way when did you send off you application and if you don't mind what were your AS grades and A2 predictions?
:biggrin:

15th October A* in Maths + 3As at AS (albeit 1 of them was Critical thinking)Predictions: A*A*A predictions in my remaining A-levels.
Original post by Overmars
You can apply to switch as soon as you get there. And you'll probably be given a (tough...but achievable) conditional offer based on your first year results. Just talk to your undergraduate tutor if you end up going there.

It's not a big deal though. The courses are very similar -- a dissertation and a couple more math/statistics modules aside, it's pretty much the same if you choose your options wisely.

No problem.

@perry

My friend has an offer for EME, he has to get all firsts in his first year exam. You have to see the tutor with an idea for a final project, or something concrete.

Yes, just takes a conversation.
Original post by Tateco
Where? LSE, Warwick level universities do an Msc in economics costing over 20000

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/postgraduatetaughtcourses.aspx

I'm assuming that HEU stands for Home/EU. Otherwise they hide Home fees. :confused::confused::confused:
Offer from UCL for Economics, L100! :biggrin:
Reply 8152
Original post by sweetascandy

Well done :biggrin:

When was your open day?
Reply 8153
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/postgraduatetaughtcourses.aspx

I'm assuming that HEU stands for Home/EU. Otherwise they hide Home fees. :confused::confused::confused:

Wow that's cheap!

Maybe it was Finance MSc.s that were that expensive, weird how there is such a big gap between the two prices.

Nice!

Original post by Tateco
Wow that's cheap!

Maybe it was Finance MSc.s that were that expensive, weird how there is such a big gap between the two prices.

Yeah I was quite surprised, I had the notion Masters were > £10,000, hence my question earlier.
Original post by JuKaMy
Congratulations on the offer! :biggrin:

Could you let me know what date approx you applied so i know whether they have passed me already :frown:
thanks

Thank you. 15th October although i don't think it works that way, no news means good news :smile:
Reply 8156
Nice!

Yeah I was quite surprised, I had the notion Masters were > £10,000, hence my question earlier.

LSE economics MSc is £21,000 :redface:
Original post by Abbyyyyyyy
Offer from Durham just now :biggrin:

well done! :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Well done :biggrin:

When was your open day?

Thanks! It was last wednesday. So my offer came after exactly one week :smile:
Reply 8159
Thanks! It was last wednesday. So my offer came after exactly one week :smile:

Ah cool, hopefully I'll have more luck with the next open day invites :biggrin: