The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is Leeds Uni looked down upon?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Leeds is one of the Russel group, I think you will be fine.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
He knows people that say they don't like to hire people from manchester or leeds because they went for the 'party'. :s-smilie:

I guess I better get my application forms for the Job Center ready!
It matters more what degree classification you get!
Reply 23
50% of Leeds' Physics research is world leading - I wouldn't worry too much about whoever told you that bull****

:biggrin:
Reply 24
Seriously I'm possibly a little biased, but I really think whoever said it didn't really know anything about leeds. It's got good rankings, amazing research and a fun atmosphere.

Don't worry about it at all, it's perfectly easy to get a graduate job with a Leeds qualification.
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymous
A friend keeps telling me that I shouldn't go there and that employers look down on it as they will think people only go there for the party. :s-smilie:

I said surely that won't matter if I get a first? I'm confused....

Whoooo the hell said that?! The University of Leeds is held in very high esteem by employers, it's a redbrick Russell Group university and studying there was the biggest achievement of my life! Perhaps your friend is thinking of Leeds Metropolitan, which maybe isn't regarded as quite such a prestigious institution... I'm allowed to say that because I went to both universities :wink:

University of Manchester is also a very respected university, your friend clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kerily
What's wrong with Leeds? :confused:

Granted the city itself has a good nightlife, but that's not the same as the university itself being a doss...

London also has a good night life :tongue:
Reply 27
Leeds is a cutting edge, leading research university in many subjects. It is a Russell group university and well thought of. As for employers I really don't believe the majority of them have a clue as to the comparative 'party' reputation of universities. It sounds as though your friend may be quoting something someone said and extrapolating this out to everyone.
Reply 28
Your friend is frankly wrong or knows employers who do not think like normal employers.

Leeds is a top 30 university for everything and top 10 for certain subjects.
Reply 29
leeds uni isn't looked down on at all hahaa, I have offers from both leeds uni and leeds met and I'm choosing leeds met, my mum is devistated because she thinks it's so amazing lmao
Reply 30
Original post by erryberry
leeds uni isn't looked down on at all hahaa, I have offers from both leeds uni and leeds met and I'm choosing leeds met, my mum is devistated because she thinks it's so amazing lmao

So you're choosing Leeds met over Leeds? Why would you do that?
Reply 31
Original post by POWW!
So you're choosing Leeds met over Leeds? Why would you do that?

Because i like leeds met 1000000 times more, its friendlier and not quite so full of snobby kids who have their parents paying for everything, i walk past leeds uni twice every day going to and from college and i just dont like it, status isn't everything ^.^
Reply 32
Original post by erryberry
Because i like leeds met 1000000 times more, its friendlier and not quite so full of snobby kids who have their parents paying for everything, i walk past leeds uni twice every day going to and from college and i just dont like it, status isn't everything ^.^

I agree and you should like the university itself as well, but there are going to be people like that at every uni
Reply 33
they're both in top 100 uni's in the world :/

Quick Reply

Latest