The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
[Disclaimer: I'm an engineer. I haven't done medicine in nearly a year]

Plantar fasciitis?

Hmm. I'm not sure. The pain is much more anterior than that. As far as I am aware, plantar fasciitis tends to present with pain in the heel?
Original post by malaz_197
I was at the olympics london ambassadors training event today and as soon as I mentioned that I'm a medical student a man and a lady started quizzing me on junior doctors and whether we get any cannula and bedside manner training.. thanks BBC3

At least junior doctors is helping us understand that there is more than one way to cluster **** a cannula insertion.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Hmm. I'm not sure. The pain is much more anterior than that. As far as I am aware, plantar fasciitis tends to present with pain in the heel?

Tends to, yes. But it has non-heel attachments too.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Tends to, yes. But it has non-heel attachments too.

Ok, you could actually be right. After a bit of googling it seems quite possible. Tbh, my trainers are pretty shredded now. Probably time to invest in a new pair.
starting to enjoy med school a bit.
8am lecture cancelled due to "impending snow". Extra hour in bed for me tomorrow.
Reply 8966
Original post by carcinoma
At least junior doctors is helping us understand that there is more than one way to cluster **** a cannula insertion.

indeed! i dont feel so bad about missing now. I really dont want to be that F1 that is **** at cannulas/bloods
Original post by Kinkerz
Yeah I remember going to stupid, time-wasting lengths to try to find a thorough explanation last year. I basically got about as far as that. Attached is another diagram that is quite useful.

J. Clin. Invest. (2007) 117:514–521

Anytime you get to something interesting, it's always 'the mechanism is as yet unknown'.

Ooh NOD2 rings a bell. But don't remember much, too much time away from Medicine :frown:

Also does anyone know if we get any points at all for being a second author on a publication/poster?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8968
Original post by crazylemon
Heh. It makes me feel good that I have not failed to get in a cannula so far this term :tongue:

I found it hilarious when the consultant went, 'that is what med students are for' and sent whoever it was go get the patient some tea :rofl:

Well done! I seem to have a pattern of get one, miss the next, etc.

my neuro consultant always introduces us to the patients as "these are two students, they have managed to lose their BBC crew. They are here for general redicule and making fun of."
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Also does anyone know if we get any points at all for being a second author on a publication/poster?

I don't think it matters where on the author continuum you are if it's a publication, as long as your name's on the paper and it gets you a pubmed ID. Posters I think, unless you present, you need to be the first author to get any credit.
Seriously, who implimented PBL at this medical school? I think PBL in theory is fantastic but it's like they've completely disregarded ALL theory and principles behind it to introduce this half baked pile of **** which is broken beyond all recognition.

To call this abomination PBL is outragous.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Anytime you get to something interesting, it's always 'the mechanism is as yet unknown'.

but it's extremely rare for nobody to have any idea, it's very medicine to stop at 'mechanism unknown' i think. rather that is the point at which it actually gets interesting both scientifically and therapeutically.
Original post by malaz_197
I was at the olympics london ambassadors training event today and as soon as I mentioned that I'm a medical student a man and a lady started quizzing me on junior doctors and whether we get any cannula and bedside manner training.. thanks BBC3

Hey, I'm glad for it: I get to feel great about myself every time I do bloods.
Original post by Tyraell
Hey, I'm glad for it: I get to feel great about myself every time I do bloods.

You're gonna love being a house officer then.... :wink:
Original post by RollerBall
Seriously, who implimented PBL at this medical school? I think PBL in theory is fantastic but it's like they've completely disregarded ALL theory and principles behind it to introduce this half baked pile of **** which is broken beyond all recognition.

What did they do?
We did a heart practical today (riding on exercise bikes at different levels of resistance) and my heart rate went fairly high - one of the dems measured my radial pulse and found it to be 240 (he only measured for 5 seconds though and got 20, so fairly high margin of error only measuring for that amount of time right?), I think the highest the monitor (had a band thingy round my chest, no idea what it's called!) went to was about 205. Is this dangerous?!
Original post by areyouthere?
starting to enjoy med school a bit.

I've felt that the past couple of weeks too. Yay! :smile:
G. Freeman, A. Sharpe: A new therapeutic strategy for malaria: targeting T cell exhaustion; Nature Immunology: 13, 113–115 (2012)

If anyone's feeling particularly helpful :smile:
Original post by Kinkerz

Original post by Kinkerz
G. Freeman, A. Sharpe: A new therapeutic strategy for malaria: targeting T cell exhaustion; Nature Immunology: 13, 113–115 (2012)

If anyone's feeling particularly helpful :smile:

I have it :smile:
Original post by RollerBall

Rumour is our medical school is turning PBL for 2013. Worst idea ever.

Latest

Trending

Trending