The Student Room Group

Which A-Levels should I choose to become a director?

I want to become a fiction/documentary film director and was wondering which A-Levels I should choose.
I was thinking about English literature, film studies, business studies and economics just because I think it would be interesting and it's bonus UCAS points
THANKS!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KShah
I want to become a fiction/documentary film director and was wondering which A-Levels I should choose.
I was thinking about English literature, film studies, business studies and economics just because I think it would be interesting and it's bonus UCAS points
THANKS!

Film Studies is good - I do it :smile:
I know someone else who wants to go into that sort of career and he does Creative Media and Film Studies, I'm not sure what your Sixth Form offers but that apparently is quite good :smile:

Literature will probably help, as will media if you consider it :smile:
Reply 2
Maybe ICT instead of Business Studies? Although I would recommend another academic subject in there - Maths perhaps?
Reply 3
I think you should take:

English Lit
Film Studies
Economics
Maths

Business Studies is seen as soft and may overlap with Economics. Economics is seen as harder and is probably more interesting.
Reply 4
Original post by VictorDeLost
:colondollar:
For a moment, I read this as, 'which a-levels should I choose to become a dictator'.

Sorry op, I have no useful information.

The guy in Syria did optometry :yep:
Reply 5
Original post by VictorDeLost
:colondollar:
For a moment, I read this as, 'which a-levels should I choose to become a dictator'.

Sorry op, I have no useful information.

I want to know what you were going to suggest if it was in fact 'which a-levels should I choose to become a dictator'.
Reply 6
Original post by Libtolu
I want to know what you were going to suggest if it was in fact 'which a-levels should I choose to become a dictator'.

Well, Hitler was a painter of medium talent. So perhaps art, english literature, politics, and history.

Hitler disliked science and hated mathematics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm surprised nobody has suggested Drama & Theatre. At the very least you'd get a shot at directing (and stage-management and script-writing) there and find out if you are any good at it, as well as analysing successful productions.

I'd suggest English Lit, Drama & Theatre, Mathematics and Business Studies.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KShah
THANKS!

Maybe Drama, Film Studies, Media Studies and Business:smile:
Hahah, I misread it initially thinking it was "which A-Levels should I chose to become a dictator"

:rofl3::rofl3:
Business and Economics do really overlap - a lot of people in my economics class do business and are always saying 'we've already done this!' etc.

As others have said - maybe Drama? Although I suppose that's if you actually feel confident performing. History may give you some background information you may need as well. :smile:

I'd also suggest a Media BTEC. They may not be considered respected on here, but a few people I know do them and are going on to do cinematography/film/directing at university - at some of the best universities for the course. Some colleges do BTEC courses really poorly though, my friend goes to Stratford Upon Avon college and they have students come and live there for some courses such as Media and Drama. It builds up your portfolio, you get to know the skills really well and it's much more in depth unlike just a Film Studies A-level and you get many more opportunities.

I would say English Lit, Film Studies, Business or Economics and then Drama or History (if you want to do a-levels). However, it's where your interests lie and if you want to do both Business and Economics they I wouldn't see why not. :smile:
English Lit and Film Studies are both good choices for what you want to do :smile:

Business is seen as quite a 'soft' subject so Economics would be the better one out of the two but if you really want to do Business then that's fine - but I would recommend only taking one of them, there seems to be a lot of overlap between the two.

Other subjects you could do that would be relevant would be Drama & Theatre Studies, History or possibly Sociology

I'd say the best combo would be English Lit, Film Studies, Drama & Theatre Studies, then either History or Economics, but its up to you - and remember to take subjects you enjoy! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by thatgirlbecky
English Lit and Film Studies are both good choices for what you want to do :smile:

Business is seen as quite a 'soft' subject so Economics would be the better one out of the two but if you really want to do Business then that's fine - but I would recommend only taking one of them, there seems to be a lot of overlap between the two.

Other subjects you could do that would be relevant would be Drama & Theatre Studies, History or possibly Sociology

I'd say the best combo would be English Lit, Film Studies, Drama & Theatre Studies, then either History or Economics, but its up to you - and remember to take subjects you enjoy! :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for the advice, never even thought to do drama, but I think I will take this route with economics :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Joinedup
The guy in Syria did optometry :yep:

opthalmology
There's no standard pathway for people hoping to become directors, so whatever A-Levels you enjoy and feel will help you in your goal would be suitable.

Just do what you enjoy!
One thing I suggest is that you DON'T do Film Studies at university. My cousin did and can't get any work - he's tried and tried and tried but is working in a shop and fed up. I spent a day being filmed for a documentary last year and spoke to the cameraman, and he said that he wouldn't recommend doing Film Studies if you want to work in a filming crew - he did English Literature.
Reply 16
Original post by Planar
opthalmology

shoulda gonna specsavers
I think the best subjects to take to become a film director are music, chemistry and bus driver
ron pickering
Original post by emiloujess
They do sound like good options :smile: I do Film Studies myself and have greatly enjoyed it.

Also, like others I would highly recommend doing a Film Production course at university not Film Studies, which just teaches you the theory rather than the practical. Doing extracurricular activities are also very important. There is a company that runs a residential easter holiday scheme that would be extremely good on your Personal Statement if you get accepted - I could PM you the link if you wish. There are also online courses.

why are you replying to this have you seen how long ago the post has been made O_O

Quick Reply

Latest