The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olive325
Hi! Got St Andrews offer on Monday! So happy!!
:biggrin:

Blast! Congratz! :smile: I want one too! :frown:
Helloo, I got offers from Leicester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Brunel and Manc Met. I'm thinking Sheffield as a firm, but not too sure about Manc Met as insurance, what do you all think? The Sheffield grades are AAB and Manc Met are asking for 280 ucas points...
Original post by zoe.soothill
Helloo, I got offers from Leicester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Brunel and Manc Met. I'm thinking Sheffield as a firm, but not too sure about Manc Met as insurance, what do you all think? The Sheffield grades are AAB and Manc Met are asking for 280 ucas points...

I would cut out Brunel and Manc Met. Ideally firm Nottingham and insure Sheffield? They're both great and better than your other three, although Leicester is good too ;D.
Original post by zoe.soothill

Well done :biggrin:
I've got an offer from Sheffield for AAB too, but I think i'm going to firm Leeds AAB instead and put lancaster ABB as my insurance....

the insurance grades have to be lower than the firm right?
Original post by BeccaCath94
lancaster ABB as my insurance

Hey when did you receive your offer from Lancaster because I have been given an offer but through the post and not through UCAS so I don't know my conditions :/ what A-levels do you take and what are your predicted grades? (just so I can figure out my conditions because I swear the average entry is AAB
I've got an offer from Sheffield for AAB too, but I think i'm going to firm Leeds AAB instead and put lancaster ABB as my insurance....

They don't have to be, but it's not much of an insurance otherwise.

I had a friend last year whose only two offers were AAA from Oxford and A*A*A + 2 in STEP from Warwick. He didn't think there was much point in keeping the Warwick offer as his insurance, so he just kept the Oxford offer as firm.

His (last minute) approach to choosing where to apply to was simply to put down the top 5 (once Cambridge were excluded) in some league table or other. As his GCSEs were less than spectacular, he got rejections from the other 3.

The moral of this story is to apply to universties with a range of different standard offers, so that you have somewhere to fall back to if things turn out badly.
Original post by olive325
Hi! Got St Andrews offer on Monday! So happy!!
:biggrin:

For which Maths course if you don't mind me asking? But congratts!

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Blast! Congratz! :smile: I want one too! :frown:

Me three!

I know of one student whose insurance and firm offers were the same. In the event he missed both by one grade but was accepted by his insurance.
Original post by JordanS94
Hey when did you receive your offer from Lancaster because I have been given an offer but through the post and not through UCAS so I don't know my conditions :/ what A-levels do you take and what are your predicted grades? (just so I can figure out my conditions because I swear the average entry is AAB

Hi,
Ermm I got a letter saying they would refer me to the admissions department at Lancaster for an offer about 2 weeks before it came onto UCAS so....
My course is a little different as its a 50/50 split with German so the grades are lower.
My predicted grades are AAB though :smile:
Good luck!
Original post by ian.slater
I know of one student whose insurance and firm offers were the same. In the event he missed both by one grade but was accepted by his insurance.

Ahh i see. thanks.
Its just the two i have as my favourites - one has higher requirements so that'll have to be my firm...
Its a bit different if they're both the same requirements...
Original post by tiny hobbit

I had a friend last year whose only two offers were AAA from Oxford and A*A*A + 2 in STEP from Warwick. He didn't think there was much point in keeping the Warwick offer as his insurance, so he just kept the Oxford offer as firm.

His (last minute) approach to choosing where to apply to was simply to put down the top 5 (once Cambridge were excluded) in some league table or other. As his GCSEs were less than spectacular, he got rejections from the other 3.

The moral of this story is to apply to universties with a range of different standard offers, so that you have somewhere to fall back to if things turn out badly.

Yeah thats true! Someone at my school put her insurance as higher grades than her firm, which I think is just a bit silly!! But anyway.....

Oh dear. Thats not really the right way to go... But yes I have a range :smile:
Thank you.
Original post by tiny hobbit

Did he get into Oxford? That's pretty awesome if he did!
Right, I have a little dilema.
I've been to the open day at Leeds already but didnt get a chance to look at any accomodation.
Now I have an offer and the accomodation open day is when I am unavailable.
I can get to a post applicant open day but I dont think they show you around accomodation. Does anyone know if they do?
I dont know what to do - should I go to the open day and see if I can look at accomodation?
I've applied to a post applicant open day for sheffield, however now I dont think it will be one of my top two. If I went i'd have to miss a day of school but don't know if its worth it.
Can I cancel the open day and still get an offer?
Which would you firm and insure out of Kings,Leeds,Edinburgh?
Original post by einstein123
Which would you firm and insure out of Kings,Leeds,Edinburgh?

Firm Kings. :colone: (Don't look at my sig) Insure Edinburgh.

Firm Kings. :colone: (Don't look at my sig) Insure Edinburgh.

LOOOL, yeah i was thinking of that combination may i ask why insure edinburgh instead of leeds?:smile:
Original post by einstein123
LOOOL, yeah i was thinking of that combination may i ask why insure edinburgh instead of leeds?:smile:

Well, it's your decision but personally I would choose Edinburgh, capital city, solid rep, I would say better than Leeds but my opinion.

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/

Generally seems better on Bill Lionhearts ranking tables. And it should be a nice offer? Depends greatly on the offer they've given since it can fluctuate. Their maths departments is great so don't forget that either. That's my unbiased opinion lol.

Well, it's your decision but personally I would choose Edinburgh, capital city, solid rep, I would say better than Leeds but my opinion.

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/

Generally seems better on Bill Lionhearts ranking tables. And it should be a nice offer? Depends greatly on the offer they've given since it can fluctuate. Their maths departments is great so don't forget that either. That's my unbiased opinion lol.

Thanks for the help mate really appreciate it!
Anyone going to Bristol on Wednesday?

Latest